Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
NevadaBrad
AF Newbie

2001 Eclispe Spyder 3.0 24Valve...running rough shutdown now won't start

I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT....3.0 liter 24 valve engine...recently the car started to drop power at low speeds and revving the engine up seem to bring the car out of it...this is an intermittent problem...the other day it started in again in my driveway and I shut the vehicle off...the next morning it was hard starting but would not remain running...and I could not seem to "rev" the engine up to "correct" the rough idle...I cleaned the throttle body and the IAC valve and the MAF sensor (with approved chemicals) car still did not start properly...seemed to be starving for fuel...cleaned the fuel filter and replaced the O2 sensor (position #1 throwing a code).....started car and it started well after I pressurized the fuel pump...revved engine up seem to run good...let off the gas lowering rpm's...when engine was about 2000 RPM...engine shut down...and now can't start...introduced a little bit of starter fluid into the intake...cranks well but won’t fire the engine.....help!
NevadaBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2001 Eclispe Spyder 3.0 24Valve...running rough shutdown now won't start

Have you fixed it yet Brad? Check fuel pressure and check for spark at the plugs.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
NevadaBrad
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesslcx View Post
Have you fixed it yet Brad? Check fuel pressure and check for spark at the plugs.
Thank you for the suggestion and answering, yup, got it going...I got smart and finally put a scanner on the computer...it threw a "crankshaft position sensor circuit" code...I looked online to see what was involved in replacing the crankcase sensor ...which is behind the timing belt and so since I was going to have to pull that all apart I got couple prices to repair as it took special tools and some skill to line up the twin camshafts. the quotes were both around $700 approx for the repair...then I got thinking...the code said "circuit" and I had had problems with the car running rough when I went through a puddle of water on the passenger side only...and it would run rough when I sometimes made a left hand turn...thought I might have a lose wire or bad connector....neither was the case...but two of the three wires were frayed that were leading out of the crankshaft position sensor...in fact the bundle of wires that make up the harness for the sensor was lying on the powersteering belt...when I lifted the wire...it started...so I took the left front wheel off and the inner fender to access the wire harness...cut it trimmed it, solder the matching wires together, tape and rebundled....works like a charm and I saved $700....however the ncar does need the timing belt change...so it was a good thing to happen...and wi will get the timing belt (pulleys and water pump too) and a new crankshaft position sensor harness install...than you again...for your help
NevadaBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
jamesslcx
AF Enthusiast

Glad you fixed it and I learned something myself.
jamesslcx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse 2000+