Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Nick H
AF Newbie

1999 3000GT base for a first-time car buyer?

Hey everyone, I'm a young first-time car buyer looking at getting a base 1999 3000GT for my first car, and I have a few questions;
(and yes, I did read the sticky thread posted about the vr4)

1) I know the base 3000gt is pretty underpowered for its weight and lacking in horsepower, but could it still be considered a "sports car" by insurance companies and deemed dangerous for a young driver? As much as I hate it, insurance cost is a factor in buying my first ride.

2) Reliability- I've gotten some mixed responses as far as reliability goes for the 3000gt. I don't really know that much about cars, but I know I can't have the hing breaking down all the time or pay tons of money in repair bills. Overall is it reliable enough for a young inexperienced driver to manage?

3) The whole hot-rodding thing does somewhat appeal to me, Ive seen some of the aftermarket spoilers and body kits and such, but is there a way to get some of that without paying a ton? The biggest problem is paying to paint the thing, and theres no way I could replace anything on the body without repainting. Again, this is not a necessity, just something I'm interested in.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

Edit: Also, is there anything specific I should do when searching for or buying one? Anything to look out for? Thanks.

Last edited by Nick H; 12-31-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Nick H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: 1999 3000GT base for a first-time car buyer?

If you buy a 99 DO NOT NOT NOT look into body kits. The 99 3000GT is a timely classic in its own way and its shape was ahead of its time.

As for the base model, it is underpowered, when compared to a VR4, or even just modern day V6's. My Stealth is SOHC and it does well for what it is. It will never be a race car, but it looks good and sounds good.

Reliability all goes with how you drive it. My car was very reliable until I hit 150,000 miles. I blew the original engine at that time. 5,000 miles later it ate its first transmission, and now with 193,000 on it it sits with transmission number 5 being broken.

Now don't let that scare you. I am a bit of an anomaly when it comes to breaking things. The SOHC's are super reliable as long as you don't go about modding the crap out of them and drag racing all the time.

Insurance can be a factor. All I can say is call around and get quotes.

If you have any other questions post them up.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Nick H
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthee View Post
If you buy a 99 DO NOT NOT NOT look into body kits. The 99 3000GT is a timely classic in its own way and its shape was ahead of its time.

As for the base model, it is underpowered, when compared to a VR4, or even just modern day V6's. My Stealth is SOHC and it does well for what it is. It will never be a race car, but it looks good and sounds good.

Reliability all goes with how you drive it. My car was very reliable until I hit 150,000 miles. I blew the original engine at that time. 5,000 miles later it ate its first transmission, and now with 193,000 on it it sits with transmission number 5 being broken.

Now don't let that scare you. I am a bit of an anomaly when it comes to breaking things. The SOHC's are super reliable as long as you don't go about modding the crap out of them and drag racing all the time.

Insurance can be a factor. All I can say is call around and get quotes.

If you have any other questions post them up.
Wow, thats a nice looking ride you have there. Ive got a couple more questions on the cosmetic aspect. One, how much did it cost to paint your car that way? It looks awesome! Also, which website/store has the best selection of aftermarket hoods, spoilers, etc.? I agree with you somewhat on the body kits, alot of those look a little too tacky anyway. But I was looking to get a cool spoiler or maybe a carbon fiber hood. Any recomendations on those?
Thanks.
Nick H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

If you are insistent on doing a spoiler, go with a 99 VR4 style Combat wing.

Check out Ground Zero Performance. They are personal friends of mine whom I have known for years. They can sell you aftermarket hoods, the VR4 style spoiler, and if you need used parts, they probably have what you need.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth