Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
93driver
AF Newbie

Charging System warning light help?

Hi I'm new First, I've searched the boards for hours last night & today, and the threads I found that were kind of close to this issue were all really old, and didn't mention the Charging System warning light, so I hope it's ok to start a new thread.

I have a 93 3000gt SL 5spd stock, I've kept it stock so far, even the radio, so no extra draws off the battery, etc.

It seems to be having problems charging the battery. Has anyone had an alternator go bad... and did the Charging system warning light come on the dash?

The light comes on the dash when I turn the key to the on position, and then goes off once the engine starts, so I know the bulb works behind the dash and it's not a bad fuse. Yeah, I checked the alt fuse under the hood too and it looks ok - just like the fuses next to it.

But even as the dash gage shows the volts going down below 12... 11... 10... 9... the charging system warning light still doesn't come on.

I'm hoping it's just that the battery is toast, but worried about that light. I was convinced it was the alternator but now I'm not so sure.

Anyone ever had problems with this light not going on when it should?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:26 PM   #2
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Re: Charging System warning light help?

Alternator is almost certainly bad if the voltage dips that low. If it was just the battery, it wouldnt start the car. The alternator is pretty simple to change on the SL being right on top.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:36 PM   #3
93driver
AF Newbie

Hi & thank you for the reply. I was also told the charging system warning light will only come on while the alternator is failing, not after it already has. Allegedly this is an issue with imports - but since this is the first time for me, I don't know how much truth is in that. It seems to be doing okay with a new alternator, staying around 14 on the gauge in town & freeway, cold & warm, though the battery did have to be reconditioned, too I've done everything except let it sit for a few days to make sure the battery doesn't go dead again. Now I got talked into a Denso alternator, instead of gambling on a junkyard one, but I kept the original one in case this new one sucks, thinking its worth rebuilding the old one instead of having a car stuck not running over and over again. Hoping this alternator does okay though. Thanks again
Old 07-31-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Anyone who said it was an issue with imports shouldn't be trusted with any opinion.

Also Denso makes good stuff.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth