Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Mark VIII
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:15 AM   #1
jeremywitt
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to jeremywitt
Exclamation Passenger Side Broken Spindle Tie Rod - Requesting Help/Advice

I recently bought a 1994 Mark VIII and I love this car! I have been driving a V8 for years in my '03 Durango (which i got rid of) but its power is nothing compared to this car!

***WHAT HAPPENED***
Last week, while driving home, it was raining and I passed a car on a main street. I gave it too much gas and spun out at around 40-50 mph and slid about 200 feet across the opposite side of the road and slammed the curb sideways/backwards. I was only 2 blocks from home and I attempted to LIMP it home. I made it about a block to the parking lot of my apartments and parked it in the first available parking spot.

***ADDITIONAL INFORMATION***
So now my car is pretty messed up. I've always done my own vehicle repairs, but always in the engine area (head gaskets, fuel injectors, etc..) and brakes. I have a few questions regarding the repairs and need some people with more experience with this particular vehicle and the parts I broke. The rear seems to be worse than the front but I need to start somewhere so I figured I would start with what seems to be the easier stuff.

I do have a Chilton repair manual, basic tools, a good bit of mechanical experience and an excellent understanding of mechanics in general. I designed/built mechanical equipment/machinery for a living for 5 years.

So, after that novel, here's the problem/questions:

Here is a couple pictures of my broken tie rod... ignore the "A" and "B", I thought I would need them for the description of the problem but I don't think I do now.

*****QUESTIONS*****
Can the spindle rod be replaced alone?

If not, what parts are needed to repair the problem?

Are there any special tools I'll need to remove/install the parts?

Is there anything else I should check that may have received collateral damage from the impact?

Any other suggestions?

Any questions/comments for me are more than welcome and please don't be intimidated by the amount of questions I asked! I am just trying to be a thorough as possible. If you can answer any of them it will be more helpful than none!

Thank you very much!
Jeremy
jeremywitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
spree
AF Newbie

Re: Passenger Side Broken Spindle Tie Rod - Requesting Help/Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywitt View Post
I recently bought a 1994 Mark VIII and I love this car! I have been driving a V8 for years in my '03 Durango (which i got rid of) but its power is nothing compared to this car!

***WHAT HAPPENED***
Last week, while driving home, it was raining and I passed a car on a main street. I gave it too much gas and spun out at around 40-50 mph and slid about 200 feet across the opposite side of the road and slammed the curb sideways/backwards. I was only 2 blocks from home and I attempted to LIMP it home. I made it about a block to the parking lot of my apartments and parked it in the first available parking spot.

***ADDITIONAL INFORMATION***
So now my car is pretty messed up. I've always done my own vehicle repairs, but always in the engine area (head gaskets, fuel injectors, etc..) and brakes. I have a few questions regarding the repairs and need some people with more experience with this particular vehicle and the parts I broke. The rear seems to be worse than the front but I need to start somewhere so I figured I would start with what seems to be the easier stuff.

I do have a Chilton repair manual, basic tools, a good bit of mechanical experience and an excellent understanding of mechanics in general. I designed/built mechanical equipment/machinery for a living for 5 years.

So, after that novel, here's the problem/questions:

Here is a couple pictures of my broken tie rod... ignore the "A" and "B", I thought I would need them for the description of the problem but I don't think I do now.

*****QUESTIONS*****
Can the spindle rod be replaced alone?

If not, what parts are needed to repair the problem?

Are there any special tools I'll need to remove/install the parts?

Is there anything else I should check that may have received collateral damage from the impact?

Any other suggestions?

Any questions/comments for me are more than welcome and please don't be intimidated by the amount of questions I asked! I am just trying to be a thorough as possible. If you can answer any of them it will be more helpful than none!

Thank you very much!
Jeremy
OUCH! I also have a 94 mark VIII, like everything lincoln makes it probably won't be cheap and after you fix it, it will have another problem. I have had mine for 11 years now and learned early on not to drive in the rain or snow...lol. Sorry, never wrecked it so I don't have any suggestions for you. What I do know is front air bags and air pump, $2000. Fuel pump, $650. Shock bushings go bad every year but cheap if you change it yourself. This car is currently in storage...nickle and dime'n me to death...BUT LOVE IT!
spree is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > Mark VIII