Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > MG > MGB
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
jmrucker
AF Newbie

wipers won't shut off

Hi, i have a 75 mgb that i just got going it had set for 11 years.repainted it and cleaned it up to very nice condition. my problem is the wipers run all the time when the key is on they only run in high when you put them in low or high and when you shut them off they seem to try to park but keep going. Also the turn signals work when the key is off. i had to pull the third fuse to stop wipers for the time being but that stops the turn signals also. any suggestions? thanks in advance. oh yeah i think it has a 77 wiper switch in it also. when i look in the book the 75 should have wiper/washer and od. i think but the 77 just has wiper and washer.
jmrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #2
Flash75
AF - Advisor

Re: wipers won't shut off

Check the voltage on the white wires on the fuse box with the ignition switch off.
It should be 0 volts.

You mentioned clean up, did you remove the fuse box? If yes did you insure the link on the back of the fuse box correctly oriented? The link ties fuse 3 & 4 together. If the box is oriented incorrectly you will have some crazy electrical problems.

Check the items I mentioned and let us know what you find.

Clifton
Flash75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #3
thepeggasus
AF Newbie

Re: wipers won't shut off

It sounds like the park switch on the wiper motor has failed in the closed position. When the wiper motor is shut off at the switch, a cam in the wiper motor engages this switch until the wipers come to their resting position; whereupon the switch should no longer be engaged by the cam and should shut off. Try disconnecting the lead to the park switch (this is mounted on the wiper motor, but the wiper motor does not need to be removed to access the connector). If this corrects the problem you can run the wipers temporarily without the shutdown feature and replace the switch as soon as you are able to replace it.
thepeggasus is offline   Reply With Quote