Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:29 PM   #1
Racincc85
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Racincc85
Protecting internal engine components

I've got an engine that I've got torn apart for major work. My question is do I need to do anything to protect the bearing surfaces from rusting while the engine is apart (I've got the crankshaft out). The reason I'm worried about this is because it's very humid right now and the engine is going to be apart for at least a month while I wait for parts to get here (It's an old motorcycle engine so parts availability is horrible!). I wiped some engine oil on the bearing surfaces but I'm not sure if that is adequate. Thanks for the help!

Racincc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:45 PM   #2
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Re: Protecting internal engine components

You can buy many aerosol products for that purpose. Mostly it's just a clingy oil film (more clingy than motor oil).
CRC SoftSeal is one I've used, but it's probably not available in your neck of the woods.
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:48 PM   #3
Racincc85
AF Regular

Would fogging oil or something like WD40 be ok? Also, is there a serious risk of rust or should I be ok for another two weeks? The engine has already been apart for about two weeks

Old 08-02-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

I have many parts sitting around, some ive had for years, sitting just waiting for use. Cranks, engine blocks and heads, transmission internals ect. I coat the parts with Lubrimatic white lithium grease, and put them in a sealed bag. When i open the bag back up, they are good as they was when they were put in it.

If the crank is out, it would be best (IMO) to take it to a machine shop and have it reworked. The extra cost is well worth it. Once thats done have them order the right bearings for whatever grind they give it and be very careful on reassembly. the slightest ding and it will be over fast. Depending on how major the work is your doing it will be worth it in the long run (or if you want it to run long). Many times ive seen people take apart engines, assemble them without having the proper crank work done, and they end up spinning a bearing shortly after reassembly.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 08:35 PM   #5
Racincc85
AF Regular

Thanks for the tip. The crank and bearings were in good shape prior to teardown. The reason I had to remove it was to replace the cam and alternator chain. For some goofey reason the older honda bikes (this one is a '84 CB700SC) had the alternators driven via a chain off the crank. The chain broke and the sprocket is in the center of the crank so the only way to replace it is to remove the crankshaft. I really don't want to spend the money to have the crank reworked now as the bike only has 27k on it. Would I be ok spraying everything down in WD40 for now? I like the white lithium grease idea and would do that if these parts were going to be out for months.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #6
hotrod_chevyz
AF Enthusiast

I dont know about the WD-40 being used as a protectant since ive never tried it. As long as its kept away from moisture i expect everything will be okay.
hotrod_chevyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:28 PM   #7
Racincc85
AF Regular

WD40 basically displaces moisture so I figured it would be a good cheap way to protect everything. I went ahead and sprayed everything down and it coated everything nicely. I guess as long as I clean it off and use assembly lube when I put everything back together I'll be ok. If not, I'll find out quick enough!

Old 08-02-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie

ANY oil will work, as long as you coat the part fully.

All you need to do is a form a barrier around the part keeping the air away from it.

No oxygen, no rust.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 AM   #9
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racincc85
Would fogging oil or something like WD40 be ok? Also, is there a serious risk of rust or should I be ok for another two weeks? The engine has already been apart for about two weeks
WD40 is a good bet.
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical