Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Rodeo | Passport | MU
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:18 PM   #46
FL 3.2L
AF Enthusiast

Re: Check Trans and Engine light (code P1870)

I wish I had a dipstick for my 4L-30E!
'02 VW Cabrio 70K
'03 E46 107K
FL 3.2L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #47
trooperbc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickyLou
BTW--the engine error code was 44, which is "System Lean Driveability". Anyone have any suggestions on how I can take care of that before I have to get ready to pass my smog test in December?
Thanks again!
mmmm, didn't you say it was a code49 over planetisuzu (kittysmom, right?)? which there isn't for isuzu.

code 44 for isuzu is for "Heater Oxygen Sensor Circuit" not the generalized one that neighborhood shop gave you. still not taking it to the dealer to get the trans codes read?

//bc

i love a good intermittent electrical challenge. . .especially when it's someone else's.
trooperbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:41 PM   #48
K_Adkins
AF Newbie

I have had a 1993 trooper for 6 months now, the check tranny light comes on pretty much everytime I drive it, but everytime I turn the car off it turns off and takes few minutes. It almost acts like it needs to shirt between 1 and 2nd gears few times and then the light starts blinking. The tranny has no slips as long as I shift it with the shifter like a manual stick. But if I leave it in over drive, it will stay in 4th and never shift down unless i do it manually.

I took the car to repspected tranny shop, it spit out code that said needs 1-2 3-4 shift solenoids. $500 later, the light still stuck on. I also did some research and the code said maybe the hot wire going to solenids is grounding out somehwere on way to tranny, I'm gonna power wash down below and see if I see something but I'm stuck.

anyone else got any ideas?
K_Adkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:02 AM   #49
atfdmike
AF Regular

You need to get the code that is set in memory when your trans light comes on. You can do this by jumpering the DTC connector and counting the flashes of the trans light as it blinks. For a 93 the manual shows the connector to be a brown one on the hump where the carpet meets the console. Jumper the two outside pins and turn on key....Don't start, and read the code(s) that flash. ONce you have seen the same code twice, that means all the codes have been read and it starts over. Post the code. The trans is shifted electronically but the mode switch has to be set right and the input from the ECM to the TCM must also be right for shift speeds to be right. I guess it is possible for something like the speed sensor or a dirty or broken Mode switch (mounted on trans shift input lever) to make the trans mis behave. HTH One guys opinion.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #50
No Leaks
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to No Leaks

Wow! Over an almost EIGHT YEAR period, and so many people, all having the same problem with their Rodeo! I also have a 2000 model Rodeo 4WD with the 3.2 V6, and I also have the same problem with the CEL and Trans light flashing. The CEL has been identified by the PCM as an EGR problem, and there is also an EVAP system problem, intermittently. This makes sense, because when I fill up the fuel tank, I can smell gas fumes inside the vehicle....

This tranny light situation seems to be VERY COMMON with these vehicles, and it is little wonder that Isuzu Motors is no longer in business. Mine came on at highway speed, after passing another vehicle, and the same code (P1870) came up with the OBD II Code reader. The transmission shifts fine, is not low on fluid, and does not go into "limp mode".I keep on canceling the code when it shows up, and the check trans light starts its thing.
Noticed the wiring harness fix mentioned earlier, and wonder if that could be a cause on all of these vehicles. Some of these posts are pretty old. I would be interested to know if anyone has found a sure fire fix, with no repeat of the light coming on.

Darryl
No Leaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #51
Onemoregearhead
AF Newbie

Earlier this year, my friend's 2000 Rodeo was going into limp in mode (reduced power and only 20MPH) and the trans light would flash. Pulled the trans out for a build after I discovered almost no fluid in the pan due to leaking cooler hoses from loose clamps and lots of clutch material in the pan. At first, I was just going to service the tranny. Rebuilt the box and put in a rebuilt converter, flushed the cooler 3 times in each direction. Added a dip stick from a 1992 Rodeo I found at a local wrecking yard by drilling a 3/4" hole in the case from the bottom side. It worked great until about a month ago when he took a trip down to Mexicali for 12 days with the wife in tow. After they got back, the trans light came on again! After the build, I noticed that at idle the dash lights would pulse at idle, and figured it to be a bad alternator as they would stay bright when revved up a bit. He told me later that the flashing dash lights was due to the factory alarm system, and he couldn't get it to shut off, so he just disconnected the horn so it wouldn't make noise when driving it.
So now I'm wondering if his alternator is indeed going out, making voltage spikes and raising havoc with the TCM. We took it out last Saturday morning for about an hour, going up and down some VERY steep roads in the mountains and couldn't get the light to come on. I left him my scanner to see if any codes would show up when the light came on, but nothing showed even though the light came on! Now I'm beginning to think that the alternator voltage regulator is bogus.
Randy
Onemoregearhead is offline   Reply With Quote