Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Lincoln > LS | MKZ
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
GregA77
AF Newbie

01' V8 LS Temporary Overheat

For the past several months after starting up the car, within a little while of warming up, the temp gauge will shoot up in conjunction with the throttle. As long as I stay on the gas, it will continue to rise until it gets to hot and I get the reduced engine power message, oil light, etc. Then just like that after climibing all the way up, it will instantly drop right back down to normal and it runs fine. Of course it is accompanied by the high pitched whining noise from the fan and how loud it is directly correlates with hitting the throttle. It may do it all over again if I come into a town and slow/stop and accelerate again. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions where to look first? (coolant levels show fine in the resovior) Thanks

Not that they are related but I also get the batterly light/check charging system message intermittenly after start up for a little while before it goes away. Battery is pretty new.
GregA77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
joegr
AF Regular

Re: 01' V8 LS Temporary Overheat

You have a small leak in the cooling system that is letting air in. This lets the heads overheat. The plastic cooling system parts (including the degas bottle) are well know to get very small cracks over time.

The "battery" light is for the alternator only. It does not indicate that the battery is bad (or good). It only indicates that the alternator can't keep up with demand. Most likely, the brushes in the alternator are worn out.
joegr is offline   Reply With Quote