Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
View Poll Results: 5.3 vortec or 5.7 TBI
Go ahead and swap to the 5.3 12 50.00%
Stupid Idea. Buy a New truck 12 50.00%
I would even do it if I had the Chance. 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 04:50 PM   #31
dikhed
AF Newbie

Re: 5.7 TBI to 5.3 Vortec Swap

If you are worried about low end torque just toss a RV cam in her. Should help with start off power without taking too much from upper rpm performance.
dikhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:54 PM   #32
dikhed
AF Newbie

And on a good side note to mention... Just to get the hp around same in the 5.7 as the 5.3 is already a $1500 build. And thats just to break even
Old 08-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #33
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikhed View Post
If you are worried about low end torque just toss a RV cam in her. Should help with start off power without taking too much from upper rpm performance.
you have dug up a post about this stupid idea that this is 8 years old. not a good post IMO...when posted 8 years ago..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #34
dikhed
AF Newbie

Good to note. I didn't see the days until after your post. First time on this site.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:45 AM   #35
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dikhed View Post
Good to note. I didn't see the days until after your post. First time on this site.
this forum is good . it is tricky with the old posts so you have always look at the dates. lots of good info here to save on repairs.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:36 PM   #36
4x4junkie
AF Regular

i have a 5.3 in my 2012 with the 6 speed tansmission, currently at 60000 miles on it ..... i know some of the guys at work say they have issues with the same motor in their older versions (16 MPG MAX) 07-09 .. i average 17 - 18 MPG even while towing a 20ft tandem trailer loaded down with a tractor on it... plenty of pulling power. FYI i average 1800 - 2000 RPM running 80 on the interstate.

2012 silverado 1500 ext. cab LT
Z71 4x4 with allstar package
5.3L V8 Flexfuel with 6 speed AT
Onstar / Sirius XM
Factory Tow Package
Electric Brake Controller
Silver Ice Metallic
265/65/18

Wifes Vehicle
2014 Kia Sorento EX AWD
3.3L V6

Toys
2007 Yamaha VStar Silverado
1086cc 45 degree vtwin
Grey and Silver
GPS positioning locator installed
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:53 AM   #37
Cruz.95
AF Newbie

So I have the same truck. 4x4 K1500 95 350. And I was thinking of doing the same swap I kno this forum is from a while ago but I want to get informed. What I've noticed is that some guys are saying the 350 is better. I like how they have a good amount of torque but top end is what I'm looking for that's why I want to swap. I'm in between either keeping the 350 or swapping it. Also another question how hard would it be to remove my 4x4? I don't use it and the truck was passed on to me but I want to lower it but due to the 4x4 the front I won't be able to lower much
Cruz.95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #38
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz.95 View Post
So I have the same truck. 4x4 K1500 95 350. And I was thinking of doing the same swap I kno this forum is from a while ago but I want to get informed. What I've noticed is that some guys are saying the 350 is better. I like how they have a good amount of torque but top end is what I'm looking for that's why I want to swap. I'm in between either keeping the 350 or swapping it. Also another question how hard would it be to remove my 4x4? I don't use it and the truck was passed on to me but I want to lower it but due to the 4x4 the front I won't be able to lower much
removal of the 4wd installing a 5.3L in a 1995 GM truck WHY???? you don't like it , get a 2000-2006 GM truck 2WD and lower it . much much cheaper and less hassle...Also the 2WD trucks get 19 -20 MPG.. I am sure many out your way do use 4WD trucks as a work vehicle for contractors . should be an easy sell.
Old 12-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #39
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by j cAT View Post
removal of the 4wd installing a 5.3L in a 1995 GM truck WHY???? you don't like it , get a 2000-2006 GM truck 2WD and lower it.
I can see why this sounds like a stupid idea... at first. Especially reading it from Everett, Mass. Or me reading it from Portland, Maine, both places where 4wd is very valuable. This guy is in Phoenix, Arizona. I've never been there, but my understanding is that the roads stay pretty dry, and on the occasions that it does actually rain it's not that big of a deal. Also, maybe there's a sentimental attachment to this 1995 C/K. Some people like the older vehicles. I get it, especially with domestic vehicles. Some time in the early 2000s build quality in some areas plummeted, but choice of powertrain improved, so if you can have the best of both worlds, why not go for it?
The 350 in the 95 C/K is either 190 or 200 hp when it was new...(thanks to the sh*t technology know as TBI)which for a V8 of any size, quite frankly, is pathetic!
If you decide to do this swap, you're swapping in a much better engine. Better fuel economy for starters, and considerably more horsepower. Anywhere from 270-295 hp depending on model year. Also, vortecs are great engines for tuning projects... a better place to start than a TBI anyway.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 08:56 AM   #40
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Arizona is one of my favorite places to visit. 4WD is used in this area , very much so , but in phoenix not for snow use but for off road use and contractors. many live in the desert areas with NO PAVEMENT , so any type of wetness that ground gets very slippery also the grades can be big. low rider trucks are popular out there also , but I never seen one in the off road areas. no rust out there . some really nice , really old modified trucks . You should visit this area . late spring is nice weather though phoenix can get up to 110 deg f . the dry heat in the shade makes it not hard to take , but in the sun it is tough. beautiful country especially in the high elevations where the temps are much cooler . sedona/tombstone/scottsdale/tucson/flagstaff/grand canyon... stay away from the border areas. also GM trucks are the biggest on stolen vehicles out there...drug/weapons/people smuggling near this border area.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:29 AM   #41
gjyount
AF Newbie

you need to get the adapter plates to do the swap the cost 35 bucks good deal on amazon or ebay.
gjyount is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado