Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 06:47 AM   #1
OldGuy96
AF Newbie

96 Silverado Z71 no AC

I'm working through a series of electrical issues with this truck, none of which have (so far) been major. I'm hoping that someone can give me some guidance on the AC not working.

The blower runs on all three speeds, I can adjust the heat to warmer of cooler, and the floor, dash and defrost modes seem to work fine. The problem is that I don't have any lights on either the AC or Recirculation switches on the climate control module. I had lights at one time, but the compressor hasn't run since I've owned the truck.

I'm not educated on how the AC should work on this truck, what the power flow is to activate the compressor, or what the common problems with the AC are. Any help to troubleshoot this and get the AC working as it should would be much appreciated!
OldGuy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 08:07 AM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: 96 Silverado Z71 no AC

Put a guage on a/c you need pressure to activate it- at least 47 psi- mostcommon failure is loss of refrigerant due to a belly leaker compressor.
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brcidd For This Useful Post:
OldGuy96 (09-15-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy96 View Post
I'm working through a series of electrical issues with this truck, none of which have (so far) been major. I'm hoping that someone can give me some guidance on the AC not working.

The blower runs on all three speeds, I can adjust the heat to warmer of cooler, and the floor, dash and defrost modes seem to work fine. The problem is that I don't have any lights on either the AC or Recirculation switches on the climate control module. I had lights at one time, but the compressor hasn't run since I've owned the truck.

I'm not educated on how the AC should work on this truck, what the power flow is to activate the compressor, or what the common problems with the AC are. Any help to troubleshoot this and get the AC working as it should would be much appreciated!
being this old the ac system will need a pressure check. if your system is low on refrigerant the compressor will not work. reason is if it does with not much refrigerant the compressor will lock up.

on the refrigerant tank passenger side is a switch. this is what stops the compressor from working when the refrigerant is too low like less than 5-10 psi. this is called the low pressure cutout switch. this is used in most all ac systems to prevent compressor damage. I would have an ac person see if it is empty , find the leak, and if you have some money fix it.. if compressor is the leak issue get a scrap yard one cheap..
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
OldGuy96 (09-15-2014)
Old 09-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #4
OldGuy96
AF Newbie

I'll check on the compressor leak. I understand that the compressors on this model tend to leak around the middle joint.

Do compressors from newer models fit this system, and if so, what years should I be looking for?
OldGuy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuy96 View Post
I'll check on the compressor leak. I understand that the compressors on this model tend to leak around the middle joint.

Do compressors from newer models fit this system, and if so, what years should I be looking for?
If the compressor body has an oil on it the compressor is leaking. replacing the compressor with the same type is required. system designed for this and the mounting. this is a very well used compressor and it is not the same as the new vehicles use.

GM mounted the ac compressor at the low point of the ac system this causes compressor failures ..when the compressors where mounted up high these lasted for decades with no problems...

what testing has been done ?
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to j cAT For This Useful Post:
OldGuy96 (09-15-2014)
Old 09-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

First, get gauges on this to see the pressure.....should equal ambient air on a cold engine....ambient air 80F, the lo=hi pressure with system of should be 80 psi.....

If pressure is ok, turn ac on, remove two wire connector from switch on accumulator, and jumper the harness to see if the compressor comes on....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tech II For This Useful Post:
OldGuy96 (09-15-2014)

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado