Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
pcabn
AF Newbie

99 Silverado Driver's seat won't lock

Driving down the street use brakes to stop slam into steering wheel. Hmmm pretty sure that's a problem..seat won't lock in position now. I have looked at it and cant figure it out. Something is broke or not working I'm just not sure what. I would weld it in position but others much shorter than I drive it too. Thanks
pcabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:42 AM   #2
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Silverado Driver's seat won't lock

I would remove the seat and look at the linkage. Parts should be available at the junk yard. The nuts require an ep18 socket. An e20 or a 15mm six point socket will work.
They will probably try to sell you a used seat. If your seat is good ask for a seat that is worn out but has good linkage.
http://www.ebay.com Search 131047826837 This is a picture of an EP18 socket

Last edited by rhandwor; 10-30-2014 at 08:52 AM.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcabn View Post
Driving down the street use brakes to stop slam into steering wheel. Hmmm pretty sure that's a problem..seat won't lock in position now. I have looked at it and cant figure it out. Something is broke or not working I'm just not sure what. I would weld it in position but others much shorter than I drive it too. Thanks
can't figure it out means you did not remove the seat. Most times this is from debris interfering with the lock. If you are over 250LBS then these seats will break. as mentioned with the seat removal see what you need and scrap yard trip. make a list of other items you need ...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 12:08 PM   #4
pcabn
AF Newbie

Pulled out the seat could see the white plastic device was broken in the right side rail. Could not find parts anywhere other than Chevy dealer 293.00. It took some work I was able to get all the plastic pieces out of the rail. The seat does lock in place like it should. The entry lever doesn't make the seat go forward anymore but I can live with that. Couldn't see spending that kind of money on 15 yr old truck. Wonder what will break next
pcabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcabn View Post
Pulled out the seat could see the white plastic device was broken in the right side rail. Could not find parts anywhere other than Chevy dealer 293.00. It took some work I was able to get all the plastic pieces out of the rail. The seat does lock in place like it should. The entry lever doesn't make the seat go forward anymore but I can live with that. Couldn't see spending that kind of money on 15 yr old truck. Wonder what will break next
good you got it to lock in . now you know what you need. save those plastic parts and go to scrap yard before the snow flies and get what you need 300 is way too much for this fix. you may even find some of these plastic parts on EBAY or ?? I found some on a auto parts internet store for my 1996 impala front seat.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 06:41 PM   #6
rhandwor
AF Enthusiast

http://www.ebay.com/ search 400798056069 also search the store.
Look at picture purchase a complete unit at a junk yard with a defective seat.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Silverado