Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:32 PM   #1
jhemann
AF Newbie

[2005 Chevy Impala] Key won't Turn - Lock Cylinder? Stuck at a Chinese Restaurant.

Seemingly out of nowhere, I cannot turn the key in my 2005 Chevrolet Impala. This happened once a year ago, and I just tried turning it for about 20 minutes until it began easily rotating, and I had never had that problem again. I suspect I have an issue with the ignition lock cylinder. I have tried several keys, and I have tried tapping on the key and the cylinder while turning the key, with my foot on the break. The videos I've seen all show needing to turn the key to remove the lock cylinder.

I've tried the tapping method with a screwdriver and a hammer (softly). I've seen some videos suggest using an air chisel (at low power) to do the tapping for you. I don't have that, so I'm having to do it by hand. How long should I expect to try before deciding that this isn't going to work?

Further, if I can't get the key to turn, how can I remove the lock cylinder? I've seen some videos suggesting a mobile locksmith to "drill it out", but I don't understand what that entails or what that gets me. How much extra do I have to disassemble, and how much extra damage do I have to do, to remove an actually broken ignition lock cylinder if I have one?

Last edited by shorod; 05-06-2017 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Removed links that appear to have been the result of copy and paste from another forum.
jhemann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:30 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: [2005 Chevy Impala] Key won't Turn - Lock Cylinder? Stuck at a Chinese Restaurant.

The suggested tapping is likely to get the tumblers to settle in to the slots on the key. Since the light tapping has not worked yet, the tumblers might be seized in the cylinders. I'd suggest spraying some penetrating spray in to the key slot first, then insert and remove the key several times. Then try lightly tapping the head of the key while turning. If you get the cylinder to move, be prepared to replace the key cylinder right away. You don't want to get it started only to realize you're going to have to shut the car off again until you get a new key cylinder.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shorod For This Useful Post:
jhemann (05-06-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #3
jhemann
AF Newbie

Re: [2005 Chevy Impala] Key won't Turn - Lock Cylinder? Stuck at a Chinese Restaurant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorod View Post
The suggested tapping is likely to get the tumblers to settle in to the slots on the key. Since the light tapping has not worked yet, the tumblers might be seized in the cylinders. I'd suggest spraying some penetrating spray in to the key slot first, then insert and remove the key several times. Then try lightly tapping the head of the key while turning. If you get the cylinder to move, be prepared to replace the key cylinder right away. You don't want to get it started only to realize you're going to have to shut the car off again until you get a new key cylinder.

-Rod
I actually tried that. After the fact I read folk suggesting don't do that, and instead use something that won't later gum up the tumblers. But hell, it's not turning now anyway.

That's a great point about ordering parts, though. I hadn't thought far enough ahead about what I'd do if I got it to work.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

I'll ask the obvious but have you tried wiggling the steering wheel while trying to turn the key?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:17 AM   #5
jhemann
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleekat View Post
I'll ask the obvious but have you tried wiggling the steering wheel while trying to turn the key?
I appreciate running through the basics. Let me say yes, but I'm not sure I was doing it right. I definitely tried turning the steering wheel to one side, and the other. It isn't locked. I'm able to rotate it over to the left, and I tried turning it a good deal that way and then turning the key, and that didn't seem to help either.

But it's a good thought. If there's something more specific I need to be doing, I'd appreciate you telling me in further detail.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #6
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

I realize this is an old thread, but since the problem was not resolved I thought I'd relate my experience with an nearly identical problem on a different GM vehicle.

In my case I have a 2009 Cobalt that I bought used from an out of town dealership, that suddenly one day would not unlock the ignition with any of the keys that I have. The first time it happened, I was 10-15 miles from home so my wife brought me the other keys that we had and after about 30 minutes of trying the keys I finally got it to unlock. I drove it straight to a nearby dealership to drop it off for repair, since I didn't want this to happen again, in fact I didn't even know if it would work again after I removed the key. However, once I arrived I tried it several times without any more problems.

The could not reproduce the problem so they refused to make any repair. They even tried to charge me a diagnostic fee, which lead to a rather loud argument with the desk manager at the service counter in front a several other customers.

The second time it happened was about 9 months later, when I was 500 miles from home so I had fewer options, but I got it unlocked within a short time of fooling with it.

After this second occurrence I decided this needed to be repaired, that the dealership wan't going to help me (it was still an intermittent problem), so I needed to take matters into my own hands. I took the lock out of the cylinder in the steering column and sprayed it down very thoroughly with WD-40, which cleaned out quite a bit of dark grease from inside the lock, then re-lubricated it with 3-in-one oil. The problem was the movement of the rectangular block that allows the lock to turn. It was sticking and would not retract even with the key in the lock. It started moving better after cleaning it, and I have not had a re-occurrence since doing that repair.

My bet is that you're seeing a similar problem. You might get it to work immediately by spraying some WD-40 into the keyhole, but a thorough disassemble and cleaning are likely to be needed to prevent re-occurrence.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
jhemann
AF Newbie

I couldn't get the lock cylinder to come out of mine. I tried WD 40 and any manner of other tricks in tapping it out. I didn't have the kind of power tools that were suggested in getting it out. I believe I'd read somewhere that WD-40 might work short term but would be a long-term bad idea. So I did the best thing I could think of, which was get my dealership to get it out for me. I at least came in with the parts that they needed to fix it, but I had to pay the full labor costs. I wasn't even allowed to watch them fix it, which is really what I'd've liked to see.

Oh well.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #8
Colt Hero
AF Regular

Sitting here laughing about this because my 2002 Impala, bought new in 2002, 3.4L engine, now has 223.6k miles on it, and for years now whenever I stick the key in the ignition I always have to kind of wiggle, jiggle, and shake the key to start the car.

So this is what I'm headed for? Pulling the ignition block out and cleaning it?

Then I'll probably get the SECURITY message back again - which I haven't seen for about 7 years now ... despite doing NOTHING to fix it!
Colt Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #9
jhemann
AF Newbie

If you're asking my ignorant, amateur advice? I would suggest that you purchase a new one if you don't already have it, and replace your old one before it locks up on you. I believe an automobile locksmith would be able to re-code your new one to be consistent with your old keys, but I'm not certain about that either.

Someone more knowledgeable than I should feel free to chime in where I've made mistakes.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
cylinder , ignition , impala , lock , malibu
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS