Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-18-2003, 10:54 PM   #61
911GT2
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SkylineUSA
Really? Please show us.

Of course, if you are talking about the Swiss cheese rotors that Porsche uses, I wonder how much they cost?

For the record, I am in complete agreement with tarmac165, on all subjects:sun:
If cross drilled didn't work better on a basic level, it wouldn't be banned in international motorsport. Porsche, Ferrari and other supercar makers wouldn't use them.

To get the basic jist of it, look to the top, where no cost is spared. That's where you'll get the zero-compromise equipment, or what's best. Not for the money, not for reliability, but for pure performance.

Proud member of www.automobileforum.com

Mod -www.autoworldforums.com
Old 05-19-2003, 12:04 AM   #62
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:
Originally posted by 911GT2

If cross drilled didn't work better on a basic level, it wouldn't be banned in international motorsport. Porsche, Ferrari and other supercar makers wouldn't use them.

To get the basic jist of it, look to the top, where no cost is spared. That's where you'll get the zero-compromise equipment, or what's best. Not for the money, not for reliability, but for pure performance.
Umm not quite, Ferrari has themselves stated that they use x-drilled rotors for appearance, if that wasn't the case, then why does the Challenge edition of the 360 Modena come with SLOTTED rotors verses the x-drilled all other Modenas come with?

If x-drilled rotors are banned from motorsports events, it's because they aren't safe, not because they are better. Plain and simple, they WILL crack under hard and sever duty use, that's a proven fact almost any rotor manufacture will tell you, even the ones that make them. Look at any racing division (meaning NASCAR, IRL, SCCA, etc...) and if they don't use smooth faced blank rotors, then they use slotted, but never x-drilled. If I'm incorrect on this, point me to something that shows/says otherwise.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-19-2003, 01:06 AM   #63
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
Quote:
Based on this statement alone, you need to do some research.

SilverY2KCivic,
Well said, m8.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:39 AM   #64
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:

SilverY2KCivic,
Well said, m8.
Thanks.

On the reversed slots subject, I emailed Power Slot about it, so I'll definitely post back what they tell me about that.

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-19-2003, 01:59 AM   #65
liquid8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to liquid8
well when you buy brembo rotors online at tirerack.com they say that the slotted are for street/track and the cross drilled are for street/highway. so i would assume they have cross drilled because of the blistering speeds those cars can get up to. and i have seen track cars in mags and they all have slotted. so i guess the slotted are better for TRACK driving. you don't see race cars with blanks
Old 05-19-2003, 02:26 AM   #66
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by liquid8
well when you buy brembo rotors online at tirerack.com they say that the slotted are for street/track and the cross drilled are for street/highway. so i would assume they have cross drilled because of the blistering speeds those cars can get up to. and i have seen track cars in mags and they all have slotted. so i guess the slotted are better for TRACK driving. you don't see race cars with blanks
Obviously you don't and as most people can't, see the rotors of NASCAR and Indy car cars. They both use blanks. Well NASCAR cars I know do.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-19-2003, 02:55 PM   #67
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Don't look at what is being used for racing, you cannot afford it, hell neither can I.

Research, use your knowledge and apply it to what is best for what you intend for your car.

Just don't look at racing pics, and think thats what I will do. It goes a lot deeper than that.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
Old 05-19-2003, 06:07 PM   #68
911GT2
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverY2KCivic

Umm not quite, Ferrari has themselves stated that they use x-drilled rotors for appearance, if that wasn't the case, then why does the Challenge edition of the 360 Modena come with SLOTTED rotors verses the x-drilled all other Modenas come with?

If x-drilled rotors are banned from motorsports events, it's because they aren't safe, not because they are better. Plain and simple, they WILL crack under hard and sever duty use, that's a proven fact almost any rotor manufacture will tell you, even the ones that make them. Look at any racing division (meaning NASCAR, IRL, SCCA, etc...) and if they don't use smooth faced blank rotors, then they use slotted, but never x-drilled. If I'm incorrect on this, point me to something that shows/says otherwise.
Link please to the Ferrari statement.

And cross drilled rotors aren't used in racing because they're banned. For a reason.

Old 05-19-2003, 06:08 PM   #69
911GT2
AF Enthusiast

Quote:

SilverY2KCivic,
Well said, m8.
While that can be said, why?

I trust the people at Porsche to really know their shit. If they believe cross-drilled rotors are better, they'll use them.

Old 05-19-2003, 07:18 PM   #70
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:

While that can be said, why?

I trust the people at Porsche to really know their shit. If they believe cross-drilled rotors are better, they'll use them.
They don't put them on because they are better. After all, to compensate for the 10 bazillion holes in those rotors, why do you think they are "14 in diameter? Sure they stop excellent, but I can sure bet you if they put "14 slotted (not Swiss cheesed) rotors on the 911 Turbo or GT2 for that matter, it would stop even BETTER than how they normally come. You say you beleive what they put on because they know their sh!t, but here's something I'm sure you could have figured out, Porsche knows their stuff about their cars and engines and aerodynamics, but they aren't the ones that make their brakes, they rely on what Brembo offers them. If x-drilled wasn't a marketing scheme, then EVERY car made would come with them, even your Civic. Putting x-drilled rotors on street cars is just rediculous, Brembo knows that, but they only offer their kits standard with those rotors for Civics because just like the wing and body kit companies you hate so much, they know people pay the big $$$ for them just so they look pretty, you weouldn't get them because you think they stop better.

ANY brake manufacture will tell you x-drilled are not for track use, or severe duty use. That's just common sense that drilling a hole in something is going to weaken it.

Don't have links the Ferrari bit, but it's in a mag that I have somewhere around here, R&T or C&D, one of those two.

I have links however to prove of why x-drilled rotors basically suck, do you have proof and links to show otherwise? I'll bet you never knew that 1-piece rotors are terrible at doing their job than compared to 2-piece rotors where you bolt the actual disc to the top hat like SkylineUSA's brakes because the disk needs room to expand with heat seperate from the hat, don't believe me, maybe the gentleman that has revolutionized brakes for the auto industry can convince you, read it up!

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-20-2003, 10:47 AM   #71
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

SilverY2KCivic,

Good read, Thanks.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:31 PM   #72
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
SilverY2KCivic,

Good read, Thanks.
No problem, not something you'd expect from the company with the funkyest rotors and brakes kits on the market either. But till I read that, I never realized about why two-piece rotors are better than almost all other rotors you see out there. But now it makes perfect sense to one that understands ANYTHING about physics and thermaldynamics.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-20-2003, 04:55 PM   #73
911GT2
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverY2KCivic

They don't put them on because they are better. After all, to compensate for the 10 bazillion holes in those rotors, why do you think they are "14 in diameter? Sure they stop excellent, but I can sure bet you if they put "14 slotted (not Swiss cheesed) rotors on the 911 Turbo or GT2 for that matter, it would stop even BETTER than how they normally come. You say you beleive what they put on because they know their sh!t, but here's something I'm sure you could have figured out, Porsche knows their stuff about their cars and engines and aerodynamics, but they aren't the ones that make their brakes, they rely on what Brembo offers them. If x-drilled wasn't a marketing scheme, then EVERY car made would come with them, even your Civic. Putting x-drilled rotors on street cars is just rediculous, Brembo knows that, but they only offer their kits standard with those rotors for Civics because just like the wing and body kit companies you hate so much, they know people pay the big $$$ for them just so they look pretty, you weouldn't get them because you think they stop better.

ANY brake manufacture will tell you x-drilled are not for track use, or severe duty use. That's just common sense that drilling a hole in something is going to weaken it.

Don't have links the Ferrari bit, but it's in a mag that I have somewhere around here, R&T or C&D, one of those two.

I have links however to prove of why x-drilled rotors basically suck, do you have proof and links to show otherwise? I'll bet you never knew that 1-piece rotors are terrible at doing their job than compared to 2-piece rotors where you bolt the actual disc to the top hat like SkylineUSA's brakes because the disk needs room to expand with heat seperate from the hat, don't believe me, maybe the gentleman that has revolutionized brakes for the auto industry can convince you, read it up!
Using x-drilling, the brake's swept surface is almost unchanged. It's for heat dissipation only.

And the reason we don't see cross drilling in lower-priced cars is because it's prohibitively expensive to properly cross drill a set of rotors. You may see "brembo cross-drilled" but unless they're cross drilled by Brembo, they're just swiss cheese brakes and will crack.

And 2 piece rotors are obviously better. There's no loss of contact patch and it makes way for rotor expansion. Audi uses a similar system (albeit cross drilled as well) in some of their cars, a "halo" type brake rotor that has loose connections between the central part of the rotor and the swept surface.

And if you're trying to make yourself sound smarter, try not spelling thermodynamics wrong. And I've taken extensive physics and thermodynamics as well.

Old 05-20-2003, 06:55 PM   #74
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:

Using x-drilling, the brake's swept surface is almost unchanged. It's for heat dissipation only.

And the reason we don't see cross drilling in lower-priced cars is because it's prohibitively expensive to properly cross drill a set of rotors. You may see "brembo cross-drilled" but unless they're cross drilled by Brembo, they're just swiss cheese brakes and will crack.

And 2 piece rotors are obviously better. There's no loss of contact patch and it makes way for rotor expansion. Audi uses a similar system (albeit cross drilled as well) in some of their cars, a "halo" type brake rotor that has loose connections between the central part of the rotor and the swept surface.

And if you're trying to make yourself sound smarter, try not spelling thermodynamics wrong. And I've taken extensive physics and thermodynamics as well.
19 years old and skilled in physics, I highly doubt it, not to the degree of others on here I can bet you. Sorry man, but you obviously haven't done your research on this topic. And pardon my spelling, but keys do slip sometimes, happens to any normal person. I'm not trying to sound smarter, but I DO know what I'm talking about, and if others on here MORE skilled in this topic area than me agree with me, I'd think it safe to say I know exactly what I'm talking about. And if you still think an x-drilled rotor is just as good, you haven't read the tech article in the link I posted above, if you had, you'd be schooled by now and toss your "x-drilled are just as good" idea. Wishful thinking can only get you so far. I'd seriously like to hear how a rotor surface swiss cheesed with holes (weather manufactred with them, or drilled after the fact) has the SAME swept area as a perfect smooth and untouched rotor. Even a child could figure that one out, that missing content (the holes) take away from the whole pie. Slotted rotors have 96% of the braking surface that blanks have. X-drilled rotors only have 84% of the surface area of a blank. That's taken right from PowerSlot's website. But I didin't have to see it on there to figure that much out about it. So your point about drilled rotors was what again? Seriously, you gotta be kidding me right? I already argued this stuff with SkylineUSA himself in this thread, then I researched and realized. Maybe consider doing the same, thanks. I'm not trying to pick on you, but unlike the bodykit issue and fixing up a Honda in general that you seem to hate so much that matter has no right answer to it, but this one does. Sure I'm older than you, but that doesn't mean I'm smarter nessacerily, but at least do us all a favor and do some reasearch before you speak up about something you really don't know much about. What I've seen of your posts thus far, all you know how to do, is TRY to sound smart, and criticize others ideas and or knowledge. That alone will make the smartest person in the world look foolishly dumb.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-20-2003, 07:47 PM   #75
MadPrawpz
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to MadPrawpz Send a message via AIM to MadPrawpz Send a message via Yahoo to MadPrawpz
Increase rotor surface area that comes in contact with the brake pads.

Vent that surface area, so that more heat can be taken from the pad & metal to the air.

Ta-da!

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical