Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 07:04 PM   #46
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
Quote:
Originally posted by SkylineUSA
I read that article, you are suppose to safety wire them. Are mine, no. I did use Loc-tite. The way the Apex 2 piece rotors are made, you would have to have all 10 bolts fall out, before they would become unsafe. I would hope I would notice something before then
LOL, yeah, I mean it would take A LOT for just one or two let alone all 10 per hat to fall out. But the Loc-tite should be just as well as the safety wires.
All rights reserved... All BITERS served!

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-15-2003, 07:14 PM   #47
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Send a message via ICQ to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via AIM to SilverY2KCivic Send a message via Yahoo to SilverY2KCivic
This pic below is what I was talking about with the reversing of the rotors when slotted. The rotors on the car in the pic are put on so the slots turn AGAINST the caliper, so that the outside edge of the slot reaches the caliper first verses how you have your rotors put on, which is also how mine are on right now. An advantages/disadvantages to having the slots in this direction?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reverseslots.jpg (63.5 KB, 101 views)

"The last time you had THIS much fun driving a car, it cost a quarter, and gyrated in front of the supermarket."

i have yet to see any well done imports around here. most are road toilets driven by some high school punk -Drift

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-16-2003, 12:39 AM   #48
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
You might want to rethink that statement. It has nothing at all to do with surface area. Its the mass of the rotor and its ability to dissapate heat, not surface area.

I didnt say anything about heat disapation. A solid disc exposes a greater surface area to the pad than a drilled or slotted disc, and so theres more friction and greater braking force, but of course at the expense of more heat.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:23 AM   #49
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
So,

Where was I wrong in what I posted?

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
Old 05-16-2003, 02:30 PM   #50
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Just to stick my nose up in this, both are right. You DO need something that will disipate heat better and quicker (larger rotor) but you also need/want something that'll let you slow down quicker (solid surface area). Thing is, I really have yet to see a big brake upgrade kit that offers say like "13 solid blank rotors. Look at all the popular big brake kits from Baer, Wilwood, AEM, Brembo, ALL come with slotted if not x-drilled rotors. Defeats the whole purpose of a larger brake, doesn't it?

Let me bump something else into the equasion here, what does THIS kind of brake system do for a car in terms of braking ability?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg buttercup.jpg (81.9 KB, 99 views)

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-16-2003, 04:36 PM   #51
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Of course the surface area will be a player in the scheme of things, but that is not what stops your car.

Those brakes, where did you find those, or better question who in the hell would make them

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:27 PM   #52
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Of course the surface area will be a player in the scheme of things, but that is not what stops your car.

Those brakes, where did you find those, or better question who in the hell would make them
LOL, I thought those might perk a comment or two. I company called "The Brake Man" makes them. They are called buttercup rotors for their distinct shape of a buttercup flower. These are definitely show of course, and when I first saw them on a car in Super Street I think it was, I didn't think you could actually drive with them, but apparently you can.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-17-2003, 04:18 PM   #53
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Quote:
I didn't think you could actually drive with them, but apparently you can.
Ya, you can drive fine with them, you just can't stop.

Old 05-17-2003, 04:40 PM   #54
tarmac165
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to tarmac165 Send a message via Yahoo to tarmac165
Quote:
You might want to rethink that statement. It has nothing at all to do with surface area. Its the mass of the rotor and its ability to dissapate heat, not surface area.

I do not see in any part of your statement that proves what I have been saying is wrong, or missed the point?

I will admit, that everything else you have written is very true.

As for the direction of the slots, ?

I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Hello,

Great thread..

You're partially right - a xdrilled rotor may have less mass than a blank while at the same time its surface area measured on all axis still being roughly the same due to the holes increasing the surface area on the z-axis (assuming you are looking at the hat of the rotor).
However, decreased mass will result in a lesser ability to distribute heat energy thoughout the rotor, thus making it less "efficient" at dissipating heat, which results in increased rotor/pad temperature and reduced breaking performance as well as risking structural integrity - it all goes downhill from there..
When moppie refered to "surface area," I am assuming that he meant the surface area on the x and y axis - the axis that matters the most. The larger the surface area on the x and y axis, the more friction can be generated between the surface of the rotor and the brake pad, and greater enegry transfer (stopping power) can be obtained. A smooth surface will also help insure that more of the pad surface area is in contact with the rotor.
As moppie mentioned, the only time xdrilled or slotted rotors will _really_ make a difference is if you increase the size of the rotor to compensate for the removed surface area on the x and y axis of the rotor. BOTH for heat distribution AND breaking power.
Some may argue that because some surface area on the xy axis is removed, that there will be less friction, and therefore less energy transfer in the form of heat, which in turn compensates for the lesser mass of the rotor. In either case, you are making your braking system less efficient at doing what it was designed to do.

I'm with moppie on this one.. Unless you're upgrading to bigger rotors, xdrilled or slotted rotors are a waste of money if your goal is decreased stopping distance. The best upgrade you can do on a stock-sized rotor is to upgrade your brake bads.

As for the direction of slotted rotors, they should flow away from the caliper. In the same fashion that the vents in the middle of the rotor create a centripidal fan which sucks air in from the middle "hat" of the rotor and pushes it out the sides, you want the slots to do the same.

"Your milage may vary.."
Old 05-17-2003, 06:52 PM   #55
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

tarmac165,

Very well said, and I totally agree, in theory

Quote:
When moppie refered to "surface area," I am assuming that he meant the surface area on the x and y axis - the axis that matters the most. The larger the surface area on the x and y axis, the more friction can be generated between the surface of the rotor and the brake pad, and greater enegry transfer (stopping power) can be obtained. A smooth surface will also help insure that more of the pad surface area is in contact with the rotor.
Moppie said that crossed drilled had less surface area, but you mentioned it increases surface area (which it does), how can the cross drilled surface areas of the holes creat more friction, when they are not in contact with the pad?

As for the way the slots should face, I really do not think it matters. But, the way explained it, the pic that SilverY2KCivic posted, you are saying is correct?

My hole point was more mass for the rotors, I guess I did not explain myself that well, sorry guys.

Like I said, I totally agree with your post, tarmac165.

Old 05-17-2003, 07:21 PM   #56
tarmac165
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to tarmac165 Send a message via Yahoo to tarmac165
Quote:
Moppie said that crossed drilled had less surface area, but you mentioned it increases surface area (which it does), how can the cross drilled surface areas of the holes creat more friction, when they are not in contact with the pad?
SkylineUSA, I believe you may have misunderstood me.

Cross drilling may increase the OVERALL surface area, but it does in fact decrease the surface area in contact with thre brake pad. Again, when moppie made his statement, I am assuming he was refering to the surface area in contact with the brake pad, and as I (and moppie) stated before, crossdrilling or slotting your rotor will reduce its ability to do its job unless compensated by increasing the diameter of the rotor to increase the surface area in contact with the pad (big brakes upgrade).

However, as you said, surface area is not the only variable, MASS is very important as well.. It takes much more energy to heat a large item than it does to heat a small item... With any good heatsink, the larger the surface area, the more efficiently it can dissipate heat. While drilling/slotting your rotors will increase the rotors ability to dissipate the heat, it is also of smaller mass and therefore heats-up quicker, and has to store more heat in a smaller space... It's all a tradeoff.. The key is to find the best compromise.

Quote:
As for the way the slots should face, I really do not think it matters. But, the way explained it, the pic that SilverY2KCivic posted, you are saying is correct?

My hole point was more mass for the rotors, I guess I did not explain myself that well, sorry guys.

Like I said, I totally agree with your post, tarmac165.
That particular setup would work great if you were going 100MPH in reverse.

It is my belief that the rotor installation illustrated in the picture posted by SilverY2KCivic is incorrect and may be for show purposes only.

Correct installation is as follows:

Although I have never tested a slotted rotor in the "reverse" direction to be able to tell you for sure if it makes a notible difference or not. I can tell you that logic would indicate that there is only one proper way to install sloted rotors. You want the slots in the rotors to begin on the inside and work their way outward with rotation. This is because you want any particles that come off of the pad to be propelled off of the surface outward with rotation, and not inward.

-Alex

Last edited by tarmac165; 05-17-2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old 05-18-2003, 02:02 AM   #57
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

When I read you post, it was 1 am in the morning, and I had a few pints from the local pub too boot.

I believe everything you have just posted, is the same thing I have been saying all along.

So, we all agree, that Cross-Drilled rotors really do not help, unless they are physically bigger.

tarmac165,

Thank you for posting the clarification on the slots as well.

Old 05-18-2003, 02:25 AM   #58
SilverY2KCivic
Cali Guy

Quote:
Originally posted by tarmac165

Although I have never tested a slotted rotor in the "reverse" direction to be able to tell you for sure if it makes a notible difference or not. I can tell you that logic would indicate that there is only one proper way to install sloted rotors. You want the slots in the rotors to begin on the inside and work their way outward with rotation. This is because you want any particles that come off of the pad to be propelled off of the surface outward with rotation, and not inward.

-Alex
That's a very excellent point there. But there's gotta be something to reversing their direction. Maybe it's not something to do in street applications, but I have pics (from the June '03 issue of Car & Driver magazine) of SCCA World Challenge road racing cars that use slotted rotors, and they are reversed like in the pic I posted. Maybe when they are used the amount those cars use their brakes, and at the speeds they use them at, maybe reversing has a better effect of the slots than running them in the normal direction that draws the air away from the center of the hat like in the pic you posted.

hessemer69 on AIM
Old 05-18-2003, 03:29 AM   #59
911GT2
AF Enthusiast

OK, not having read this theread here's my opinion:

1)cross-drilled helps dissipate heat better, it's proven
2)cross-drilled cracks easier, it's proven
3)if cross drilled correctly (i.e. chafered holes) they will hold up almost as well as solid rotors
4)slotted is ultimately just a compromise

Proud member of www.automobileforum.com

Mod -www.autoworldforums.com
Old 05-18-2003, 07:09 AM   #60
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Quote:
1)cross-drilled helps dissipate heat better, it's proven
Really? Please show us.

Of course, if you are talking about the Swiss cheese rotors that Porsche uses, I wonder how much they cost?

For the record, I am in complete agreement with tarmac165, on all subjects:sun:

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical