Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 PM   #16
oregon747
AF Newbie

Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems!!!!

FYI, Honda paid only 1/2 of the total cost. I think I paid around $2000.
oregon747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #17
rhayky01
AF Newbie

Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling, rough idle, cold start problems!!!!

Been having this problem since the car was two years old..only been services by our local honda dealership, they never mentioned this bulletin..now got to pay 2500 dollars to repair a car that should of been fixed 6 years ago..after this will never, ever buy or recommend a Honda..dealers only want to keep taking your money, so why fix it..
rhayky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:06 PM   #18
Mr. CRV
AF Newbie

Angry Re: All 2001 CRV Owners that have had stalling problems!!!!

I have a 2001 CRV 5-speed manual with 88,000 miles. Been having the stalling problem and would like your help to decipher the most likely source of my problem. I don't want to continue enriching my Honda Dealer or mechanic to fix this CRV company defect ..... enough is enough !!

The car stalls for 1-3 seconds, but the car starts fine and I have not notice it rides rough. The stalling is recurrent - initially it happened when the car was cold but now occurs even with hot engine. The stalling is prevalent when I take my foot off the gas (when going down a hill) or the car is cruising, but not when I am accelerating. The yellow "check engine" light has been on for some time.

After reading this and other web sites describing this problem (actually a company defect), the most likely culprits seem to be either the ignition key, gas pump or an exhaust valve. ANY IDEAS WHICH ONE OF THESE IS MOST LIKELY THE CULPRIT ?? Any assistance is appreciated.
Mr. CRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:13 PM   #19
rhayky01
AF Newbie

Have someone check the valve clearance, there is a technical bulletin out about this..if thats it need to get fixed asap or will be very costly..
Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 AM   #20
junogle
AF Newbie

Wish I'd found this forum a long time ago. My (independent) mechanic told me the valve head is burned out and needs replacement. It's almost $2,600 from Honda.

My questions are
1) Has anyone had good luck lately (say within the last couple of years) of getting any goodwill assistance from Honda on this repair for a 2001 model, and
2) Is this really a fix? Or is just the same old thing and you'll have to have the valves adjusted every 30,000 miles?
junogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:44 PM   #21
rhayky01
AF Newbie

Cost me 2000 to get it fixed..Honda refused any goodwill what so ever..tried the states attorny generals office, but all they could say was out of warranty..If my honda dealer had checked this years ago might of saved me some money..never honda again..
The Following User Says Thank You to rhayky01 For This Useful Post:
Romti (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 08:35 PM   #22
Romti
AF Newbie

Tech installed new head cylinder but still stalling. Just paid 3000 but problem till exist. Pls. Help . My crv have 111,000 miles now. I want d car fixed if possible.
Romti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:15 PM   #23
Pissed Off Paul
AF Newbie

these clowns raising prices on their garbage vehicles april 1.What an awful april fools joke..I know one thing the bastards will never get another cent from me after this valve fiasco.I'd walk first
Pissed Off Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #24
orangeFrog
AF Newbie

I realize this is an old thread, but as there are still old CR-V's out there I thought I would add my experience.

My 1999 CR-V went about 150,000 miles before the compression got bad enough for me to consider repairing it.

Thanks to this page I became aware of Honda TSB #03038. As courtreporter232 posted in 2005, "The full TSB states at the end Valve recedes into head. REPLACE cylinder heads." Thank you for this foreknowledge!

In 2013, I took it to Honda, armed with the TSB documentation I downloaded from the Web someplace, and was told that too many years had passed and to fix it, they would simply replace the entire head for $3,000. I took it to an independent mechanic for a second opinion. He highly recommended a particular guy who specialized in head rebuilding. The estimate was $1,700 for an engine rebuild. When the rebuild man did the work, he only charged $1,300 because no valves had been destroyed yet - but apparently I took it in just in the nick of time.

I have put at least 5,000 miles on it since with no engine problems whatsoever. That is a tight, instantly responsive engine. I love it again. My local mechanic just adjusted the valves again recently, saying that after the work I had done, the valves should be adjusted soon as things settle in (my interpretation of what he said, anyway).

So for any of you looking to buy or to fix your own CR-V manufactured in the years mentioned in this thread, my advice is, by all means, hassle Honda about it, but then take it to a reputable, independent engine rebuilder (preferably one who does lots of Hondas). You will probably save yourself at least $1,000. (On the other hand, a brand new head from Honda may last longer, but at this point, how much longer will the rest of your car last?)

If it weren't for the head issue, I would have more respect for Honda. I still love the car and the only reason I want to sell it now is because I inherited a newer BMW. Otherwise I would drive it until the end of its head-restored natural life.
orangeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V