Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
breezinintime
AF Newbie

Unhappy Ignition Coil Fuse Blowing

I have an '89 geo tracker 5 speed 4x4 and the ignition coil fuse keeps blowing. so days it will do fine and drive nice and then all of the sudden BAM... it blows and then it will blow like 10 or 15 fuses just trying to start it... ill wait about two to three hours and then a new fuse and it starts.... and suggestions....oh yeah and ive check just about every wire.. HELP!!!!!!!!
breezinintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:17 PM   #2
dgee
AF Regular

Re: Ignition Coil Fuse Blowing

any body figure out the problem yet mine did that today can it be the ignitor or the coil. or the ecm or noise filter. 95 tracker 1.6 liter 16 valve motor
dgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #3
breezinintime
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Ignition Coil Fuse Blowing

i found out that it wasnt the ignition system on mine.. after it blew the first fuse i would cut the car off and then put another one in and then it would blow one when i turned the key to the on pos. if i find out what happened, i will let you know. i also tried cleaing all the oil off my engine and will tell you if that works.
Old 10-18-2005, 07:47 PM   #4
dgee
AF Regular

i read another link maybe torque converter relay because i put new fuse in it starts right up run fine i drive it down block dont remember when it blows fuse . if it is when it shifts or if it is when i am just running along .
Old 10-19-2005, 05:52 PM   #5
breezinintime
AF Newbie

ive also found out that if you have something plugged into the cig. lighter that that could also be the problem. even though it doesnt run off that fuse any metal scraps or something will cause the ignition fuse to blow
Old 10-19-2005, 09:48 PM   #6
dgee
AF Regular

the radio and the cigarrette lighter has its own fuse.the ign fuse is for the ecm igniton coil gauges distributor and sensors
Old 10-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #7
breezinintime
AF Newbie

thats what i said. i talked to a mechanic and he said that it didnt matter. why, i dont know. ive also replaced my battery and havent had any trouble with that fuse since. right now im clueless.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:11 PM   #8
dgee
AF Regular

so is the car ok now and did you mean the ign coil fuse.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:23 PM   #9
breezinintime
AF Newbie

i wont know if the car is ok for a month or two. some times the ign coil fuse wont blow for a couple of weeks and the it just starts doing it again. so ill know in a couple of months. but so far so good
Old 11-01-2005, 10:41 AM   #10
baumbr
AF Regular

Believe it not gang - a bad oxygen sensor will cause the ign. fuse to blow repeatedly. Quick fix = unplug the O2 sensor, replace the fuse and drive on. Your check engine light will come on, but it means that your O2 sensor has failed. As soon as you replace the sensor the light will go out.
baumbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #11
Wi Todd
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumbr
Believe it not gang - a bad oxygen sensor will cause the ign. fuse to blow repeatedly. Quick fix = unplug the O2 sensor, replace the fuse and drive on. Your check engine light will come on, but it means that your O2 sensor has failed. As soon as you replace the sensor the light will go out.
I think that is just a coincidence. The 02 sensor is on a completely different circuit. It is more likely when replacing the 02 sensor, other wires got moved and intermittenly stopped shorting out.
Wi Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2005, 11:37 AM   #12
baumbr
AF Regular

Respectful disagreement: Please check the wiring diagram for your model. On my '92 the O2 sensor is fused in the IGN loop. The fuse would blow every start up, and I've rattled the wires quite a bit, before and after. New sensor fixed the problem. Also check the other tracker forums, you'll find the O2 sensor/IGN fuse to be a common problem.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:00 PM   #13
Wi Todd
AF Newbie

[quote=baumbr]Respectful disagreement:

I don't know about a '92. Mine is a '90 with and automatic and the schematic I have has many things on this circuit but I don't see it tied into the 02 sensor. Regardless, one of the first things I did was replace the 02 sensor as I read it on some other boards too.. It will blow the fuse randomly while driving or sometimes when just turning the key to the run position. I have hooked an ohm meter to it and unplugged just about everything on that fuse without any noticable change in resistance. I am at wits end as this vehicle can not be driven because you never know when it will blow the fuse and stall. I am open for any more suggestions or other thoughts on this. Thanks....
Wi Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #14
baumbr
AF Regular

Sounds like you're facing a sticky problem. The O2 sensor was the second item I replaced to keep my tracker going. The other item that needed attention was the computer (ECM). From about 88 to 94 most Trackers had sub-standard Mitsubishi ECMs installed. These ECMs couldn't handle the standard voltages generated by the car's various sensors and would blow some little component. On my '92 I was blowing the IGN fuse all the time, and eventually the ECM died. My suggestion is that you have your ECM tested, that means getting the actual computer tested, not just reading the fault codes. There are a number of shops who can do this test.

Anyway, after replacing the ECM things were fine until the O2 sensor went south and started blowing the IGN fuse. I'm sure you have noticed that lots of things go through that fuse, including gauges. By comparing 2 or 3 of the block diagrams in the Haynes manual you'll see that the O2 sensor, after many divergent paths, also goes through the IGN fuse.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #15
breezinintime
AF Newbie

i found my problem.......there is a set of wires running under the throttle body that goes to the o2 sensor.... trace that set of wires. unrap the electrical tape on those wires all the way up to the firewall. apparently trackers have a problem.. there is a wire holder that wraps around the wires at the back of the engine on the passenger side. the engine gets too hot and it burns the coating off one of the wires.. fix the short and your good to go... i checkede at a junk yard on a geo that was also blowing the same fuse and i looked at those wires and bingo. you wont be able to see the wire unless you unrap it...

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker