Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2001, 10:46 PM   #1
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Thumbs down

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This is hideous!

more here

I'm sorry, but some of these new retro-styled cars just make me want to stick my finger through my eye, into my brain, and wiggle it around a little.
Old 01-20-2001, 12:57 AM   #2
LostBoyScout
AF Regular

Can't say the styling is my thing, but neither is 99% of all new designs coming out, so oh well (looks like I won't be buying any new cars after 2002)

The New Beetle is an aquired taste no doubt. I don't dislike the styling one bit though, I would definitely not consider them ugly. I got to drive a VR6 Turbo Beetle for a couple days last summer, it was the coolest experience ever - not just for the 375 horses, but the sleeper appearance of it too, I confused many-a Trans Am and similar cars
Old 02-18-2001, 04:38 PM   #3
BadasslilGTI
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to BadasslilGTI Send a message via Yahoo to BadasslilGTI
Wink hee hee

Darnit so u mean if i get one of these when i become a family man someday u wouldn't help me slam it a drop a turbo vr6 in it? Oh yeah sorry for my departure for so long from here too....but im back!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1362763
Working on Organizing the Biggest Caravan to Waterfest ever with some help from my West Coast buddies...Email me for more caravan info to become part of Route VW 2001!
BadasslilGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2001, 05:48 PM   #4
Bean Bandit
AF Enthusiast

I like it It has quite a resemblance to some minibuses I've seen in Sci-Fi comics. Anyway the interior looks great and you have plenty of place and the possibility to turn the chairs around is also very likable. Moreover you can aply Badass' idea and you'll have a future-style A-Team minibus
Bean Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2001, 08:27 AM   #5
VR6ERS
AF Newbie

Come fella's give them a break, at least there trying......i just want them to come out with like a "Bi-Turbo GTI-VR8", now that would be Phat and all that!!!!

DUBBING FOREVER......VR6ERS
VR6ERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 08:06 PM   #6
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

I am appalled to hear that there are folks out there unwilling to rewelcome the New Microbus back into society! OK, I understand that many of you have stuck yourselves into the "sports-car only cool club", but for crying out loud, try to be a little more open minded. As an automobile, the new VW is an astonishing achievement. So you think that this work of art is just another stupid minivan?

Well first of take into consideration that the original Type-2 Microbus was the legendary forerunner of ALL mid-sized personnel carriers, now known as minivans. The name Microbus has a DEEPLY rooted history spanning on an international scale.

Fast forward to the 21st century.

Minivans are generally considered to be economic and practical. These characteristics describe a front transverse-mounted, front wheel-drive platform to allow ease of construction, maximized interior space, and minimized maintenance.

Only one problem: The original Microbus was rear-engined, allowing a flat faced appearance up front. You may or may not know, but VW engineers have been toiling with the New Microbus concept for quite some time now. Their goal was to incorporate the standard front-mounted engine into the new vehicle, while retaining the traditional flat nosed appearance. The first concept appeared much more similar to the original Type-2, while looking fresh and new, much like the New Beetle. However that concept car was just that: flat-nosed, but an immobile concept. Desigers had to start over from scratch to accomodate the engine and create an entire new strategy, this time taking the extra neo-retro approach, much like the 2003 Nissan Z.

The final product you see is an accomplishment holding true to the heritage of the original Microbus while providing modern amenities, and much more than anything else, PRACTICAL fun.

If the New Microbus finds its way to the VW production office, I feel that this product will be the new best alternative to boring soccer-mom minivans, and offensively excessive SUVs. Anyone who dares impune the New Microbus better be backed with a much more colorful history, century spanning reliability, and timeless aesthetics.
Morpheus XIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2001, 08:15 PM   #7
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
morpheusxiii always says everything good first. Not that I'd manage such eloquence.

I like it. It's better than a minivan and it's better than an SUV. I think I like it partially because I like the old microbuses. I wish it would have stayed rear-engined, but oh, well...

It looks like it's making a weird face, though.:huh:
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 12:21 AM   #8
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Umm morpheusxiii i hate to rain on your parade but the new VW combi is nothing more than a rebodied Comercial van. Under neath all the ugly sheet metal and leather seats is a basic comercial duty chassis. Its not going to be the best handeling, or the most comfterble mini bus ever. If you want comfort and handleing then you have to get a purpose built people mover, one based on its own floor plan, like a Voyoger, or an Odessey.
Old 07-26-2001, 07:52 AM   #9
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
I'm sorry to say i disagree with most of you here...it looks butt ugly !!!

It looks like something my 5 year old draws at school.

Just my view though.

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 07:57 AM   #10
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Quote:
Originally posted by primera man
I'm sorry to say i disagree with most of you here...it looks butt ugly !!!

It looks like something my 5 year old draws at school.
Man forget what your 5yr old can draw, it looks like something I can draw now, 6yrs after finnishing school.
(dont you love the NZ school system)
Old 07-26-2001, 08:14 AM   #11
primera man
"P-Man"

Send a message via AIM to primera man
Quote:
Originally posted by Moppie

Man forget what your 5yr old can draw, it looks like something I can draw now, 6yrs after finnishing school.
(dont you love the NZ school system)
OMG.....Has the goverment failed with you tooooooo ???:finger: :finger: lol

Current Build.....1/12 Scale Camaro......Almost finished!!!

View All My Models Here.
primera man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2001, 08:38 PM   #12
Moppie
Master Connector

Quote:
Originally posted by primera man

OMG.....Has the goverment failed with you tooooooo ???:finger: :finger: lol
Why do you think I spend so much time here. I got tunred into an Arts Student! :alien:

But I suppose its better than working a in a Train yard. :finger:
Old 07-29-2001, 07:36 AM   #13
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Umm morpheusxiii i hate to rain on your parade but the new VW combi is nothing more than a rebodied Comercial van. Under neath all the ugly sheet metal and leather seats is a basic comercial duty chassis. Its not going to be the best handeling, or the most comfterble mini bus ever. If you want comfort and handleing then you have to get a purpose built people mover, one based on its own floor plan, like a Voyoger, or an Odessey.
--Moppie

Umm Moppie with all due respect if you read carefully I never stated, or would even care for that matter, about comfort and handling on ANY minivan. My attention is primarily focused on the fact that Volkswagon has resurrected a legend.

As for automobiles being built on their own platforms, this trend is being turned aside. Parts-sharing is a commonplace practice in the automotive industry. It cuts cost on the manufacturer, which in turn cuts cost on the consumer. Don't forget, Ferdinand Piech is on duty here. The emperor of VW has managed to spawn completely different cars using one small box of parts. Remember the Audi TT? I don't doubt that he can have another one built--for the books.
Old 07-29-2001, 07:54 AM   #14
Morpheus XIII
AF Enthusiast

By the way, if ANY of you are the type who are displeased with the fact that automakers share and reuse parts, please read Robert Cumberford's article, "Parts is Parts" in the August 2001 issue of Automobile Magazine.
Old 07-29-2001, 06:41 PM   #15
Moppie
Master Connector

Good point Morph, I guess I didnt read your post as well as I thought I did.
I dont have a problem with parts sharing, just as long as the manufactors are honest about it.