Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > Suburban
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-06-2004, 09:10 PM   #31
Jeff V
AF Newbie

Suburban misfire

I have been tring to solve the misfire issue for almost two years. This past week $300 more, with the same result. Don't spend another dollar sell it trade it but don't put another dime into the thing. Too many people have the same problem and after reading all these posts nobody has found the smoking gun. I am told there is a problem with the design of the heads and they must be REPLACED with NEW ones. But no guarantee. My advice sell it!!
Jeff V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:22 AM   #32
Fireplug
AF Enthusiast

Re: Suburban miss fires after going up a hill?

It cant be sticking valves.
Everyone in here has said the problem started after having a intake manifold gasket done right??
So why would it not do this problem before the gasket was done??? only after.
I have 104564 miles on mine (5.7) and it has never had a gasket done and has no miss at all.
I just dont buy the sticking valve Job
My money in on a sticking egr valve. If you take a running engine at idle and open the egr valve what happens the engine misses and or stalls now add a heavy load and bingo you have a very bad miss that was not there before the gasket was done.
Fireplug
Fireplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 07:13 PM   #33
LastOne
AF Regular

MIne did it before I had to replace the gasket, about 20K miles before. I replaced my cam sensor and it did not help much. I have not found a scanner to check the cam retard but I have moved the dist around a bit. I too think it sucks. A truck having this kind of common problem. I am leaning toward a Tundra if I ever buy something new. GM, Ford, and Dodge don't seem to care after they have your money. Lots of Honda and Toyota cars for sale in my local paper with near 200K on them and there is still a buyer for them.
LastOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:34 PM   #34
rksand
AF Newbie

My 94 has done this often and usually I find a bad wire or plug. Get out at night and see if you have any arching going on. I bet you find a light show.
rksand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 05:28 PM   #35
bg862
AF Newbie

I too saw a light show under the hood and replaced all plugs (AC/Delco) and wires (Bosch). The light show has tamed considerably, but still see a constant flashing around one particular spark plug. I don't know the numbering system, but it is on the left (driver side) second back from the radiator. I swapped plugs and the problem stays at the same cylinder. Don't know why. Anyone?
bg862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2004, 06:09 PM   #36
Fireplug
AF Enthusiast

That would be cylinder number 3
1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2, is the fireing order.
Driver side has cylinder 1,3,5,7,Pass side 2,4,6,8,
The wire that is still sparking please check that the rubber boot is all the way down on the plug.
There should be NO sparking at all . If there is that means there is a voltage leak in the wire.
I have seen new wires leak so try switching wires and see if the sparking goes with the same wire.
You can use a spray bottle with water in it and spray a mist on it to see where the wire is bad.
Fireplug
Old 10-10-2004, 09:57 PM   #37
bg862
AF Newbie

Yes, #3 is the one.
I will try swapping wires. The boot is all the way on the plug. Thanks for the tips!
bg862 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2004, 10:00 AM   #38
Houston54
AF Newbie

I had the severe miss-firing probem on my 99 Sub. The mechanic was unable to get a fix on the problem but suggested I replace the plugs, cap and rotor. This was done using all delco parts (platinum plugs) and I have not had the problem since. I think if it does return then I will replace the EGR valve as it is not expensive and easy to get to. I did not replace the plug wires yet but will if the problem returns.

The mechanic checked all the related sensors and found all to be in working condition. I think the problem is a result of one thing going wrong that is causing a cascade effect.
Houston54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:36 PM   #39
LastOne
AF Regular

Another forum, Ten Mag Chevy truck had a thread running, person with the problem like described here reports a cracked valve seat..... Some Beach!!!!!
LastOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 10:25 AM   #40
jb128
AF Newbie

same problem - hill - misfire

Told by dealer its the injectors, which they say they now have a service bulletin that reccomends replacing them for about $850 verus cleaning them for about $250.

Has anyone replaced the injectors? Did it fix it? I may just clean them and trade it in - my 2002 is paid off now anyway!
jb128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 12:37 PM   #41
Jeremy-WI
AF Enthusiast

I replaced injectors in my 96 K1500 but not because of misfire, I had a couple leakers and needed a new fuel pressure regulator. Cost me $270 for parts delivered to the door, took two hours to replace.

After I paid to have my intake manifold gaskets replaced I had a misfire at light load cruise- 60 mph with foot barely on throttle- and I'd just feel it misfire a little. Hooked my auto xray scanner up to it and checked the cam retard- it was -11 degrees and its supposed to be 0 degrees +/- 2 degrees. Once I got it to 0 degrees the misfiring was gone. I wonder if you would get misfiring under load(or heavy acceleration) with the cam retard too positive
Jeremy-WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 09:46 PM   #42
back2life
AF Regular

Re: Re: Suburban miss fires after going up a hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireplug
That would be cylinder number 3
1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2, is the fireing order.
Driver side has cylinder 1,3,5,7,Pass side 2,4,6,8,
The wire that is still sparking please check that the rubber boot is all the way down on the plug.
There should be NO sparking at all . If there is that means there is a voltage leak in the wire.
I have seen new wires leak so try switching wires and see if the sparking goes with the same wire.
You can use a spray bottle with water in it and spray a mist on it to see where the wire is bad.
Fireplug
DESCRIBE EXACTLY HOW YOU USE THE SPRAYMIST TO FIND BAD WIRES! I HAVE THAT SAME PROBLEM WITH THE LIGHT SHOW UNDER THE BOOTS!
back2life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2004, 10:17 AM   #43
Fireplug
AF Enthusiast

With the engine running spray a mist of water on all ign parts , wires , plugs , coils and look for any sparks. If there are any sparks the there is a problem. Lets say the ign wire boot has sparks comming from it . The wire is bad or the spark plug is cracked. To pin point the correct 1 switch the sparking wire with a nonsparking wire and see if the light show goes with the wire or stays at the cylinder if it stays at the cylinder then you have a cracked spark plug. also mad sure that the ign wires are all the way down on the plug and snap or click tight.
Old 11-13-2004, 05:30 PM   #44
yardion143
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99subhelp
I have a 99 chevy sub with the 5.7 and I had the seal replaced under the intake manifold and now it miss fires when I climb a hill and get to peak it will missfire badly. It will never do it when your climbing the hill or on flat ground but only when the engine has been enganged on the hill and then comes off of a little. It only happens at speeds over 50 MPH. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap & rotor, and the fuel filter. The dealer wants to replace all these parts again and charge me 500 for it. I need some Ideas. I took it to another mechanic and he sees it misfire with the scope while driving but can't pinpoint it.

Thanks

Tony
Hi,
check your timing...maybe distributor was loose enough to be turned by mechanic torquing down the manifold.
yardion143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 12:29 AM   #45
frootl00p3
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to frootl00p3
Re: Re: Suburban miss fires after going up a hill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireplug
It cant be sticking valves.
Everyone in here has said the problem started after having a intake manifold gasket done right??
So why would it not do this problem before the gasket was done??? only after.
I have 104564 miles on mine (5.7) and it has never had a gasket done and has no miss at all.
I just dont buy the sticking valve Job
My money in on a sticking egr valve. If you take a running engine at idle and open the egr valve what happens the engine misses and or stalls now add a heavy load and bingo you have a very bad miss that was not there before the gasket was done.
Fireplug
Um, mine does it and I have not had the gasket job done. My suburban has 90K miles on it. Haven't put any money into it yet. Love my truck wouldn't sell it, just want to fix it. think there might be something to the fuel system cleaning idea. Had a 77 chevy, put bad gas into it one time, it ran like crap for months. I went through 30 plus fuel filters, and it always misfired until it eventually stalled, at which time (rain, hail, snow or never sun) I had to replace that darn fuel filter on the side of the road.
Jodi
frootl00p3 is offline   Reply With Quote