Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > CR-V
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-01-2003, 03:29 PM   #1
Hessian
AF Newbie

Newbie with CR-V questions

Do the letters CR-V have any words that go with them? Like Civic Rec vehicle or something. The next question is does the CR-V have any kind of limited slip type of differential, either in the transaxle or the rear differential? Thanks for any help with this....

Craig
Hessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:26 AM   #2
mwkirchner
AF Newbie

Re: Newbie with CR-V questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hessian
Do the letters CR-V have any words that go with them? Like Civic Rec vehicle or something. The next question is does the CR-V have any kind of limited slip type of differential, either in the transaxle or the rear differential? Thanks for any help with this....

Craig
Here is what I have found on this question. Hope it has in it what you are looking for:

DESCRIPTION:

Rear Differential

The Real-time 4WD-Dual Pump System model has a hydraulic clutch and a differential mechanism in the rear differential assembly. Under normal conditions, the vehicle is driven by the front wheels. However, depending on to the driving force of the front wheels and the road conditions, the system instantly transmits appropriate driving force to the rear wheels without requiring the driver to switch between 2WD (front wheel drive) and 4WD (four wheel drive). The switching mechanism between 2WD and 4WD is integrated into the rear differential assembly to make the system light and compact. In addition, the dual-pump system switches off the rear-wheel drive force when braking in a forward gear. This allows the braking system to work properly on models equipped with an Anti-lock Braking System ABS).

Construction

The rear differential assembly consists of the torque control differential case assembly and the rear differential carrier assembly. The torque control differential case assembly consists of the differential clutch assembly, the companion flange, and the oil pump body assembly. The rear differential carrier assembly consists of the differential mechanism. The differential drive and driven gears are hypoid gears. The oil pump body assembly consists of the front oil pump, the rear oil pump, the hydraulic control mechanism, and the clutch piston. The clutch piston has a disc spring that constantly provides the differential clutch assembly with a preset torque to prevent abnormal sound. The clutch guide in the differential clutch assembly is connected to the propeller shaft via the companion flange, and it receives the driving force from the transfer assembly. The clutch guide rotates the clutch plate and the front oil pump in the oil pump body. The clutch hub in the differential clutch assembly has a clutch disc that is splined with the hypoid drive pinion gear. The hypoid drive gear drives the rear oil pump. The front and rear oil pumps are trochoidal pumps. The rear oil pump capacity is 2.5 percent larger that the front oil pump to handle the rotation difference between the front and rear wheels caused by worn front tires and tight corner braking. The oil pumps are designed so the fluid intake works as a fluid discharge when the oil pumps rotate in reverse. Genuine Honda CVT fluid is used instead of differential fluid.

Operation

When there is a difference in rotation speed between the front wheels (clutch guide) and rear wheels (hypoid driven gear), hydraulic pressure from the front and rear oil pumps engages the differential clutch, and drive force from the transfer assembly is applied to the rear wheels. The hydraulic pressure control mechanism in the oil pump body selects 4WD mode when the vehicle is started abruptly, or when accelerating in a forward or reverse gear (causing rotation difference between the front and rear wheels), or when braking in reverse gear (when decelerating). It switches to 2WD mode when the vehicle is driven at a constant speed in forward or reverse gear (when there is no rotation difference between the front and rear wheels), or when braking in a forward gear (when decelerating). To protect the system, the differential clutch assembly is lubricated by hydraulic pressure generated by the oil pumps in both 4WD and 2WD modes. Also, the thermal switch relieves the hydraulic pressure on the clutch piston and cancels 4WD mode if the temperature of the differential fluid rises above normal.

Hope that is not too technical for you and that it has answered your question. Mark
mwkirchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 11:21 AM   #3
Hessian
AF Newbie

Thanks Mark for the information. I will pass it along. As it turns out, the person asking me the questions has since decided the CR-V may not be the vehicle for going over the high and rough passes we have here in Colorado. He has been talking to others who have locking type differentials, primarily on jeeps and I guess has concluded that the CR-V doesn't have the over all capacity to do such off roading. Thanks again. Take care....

Craig
Hessian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:35 AM   #4
widman
AF Newbie

Honda CVT Fluid

Very interesting post on the differentials, now the big question: What is the closest thing to Genuine Honda CVT Fluid? The Honda dealerships here do not carry it, probably because the government requires importers of lubricants to register, pay $200 per year per product plus the legal fees for a 2 month process, report sales and imports per product on a monthly basis and pay a high tax per liter.
So they use 15W-40 diesel engine oil in the transmissions and for the differential they use Dexron until the vehicle gets 50,000 or so km on it, they standard 80W-90. I have so far figured out that the Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic 5W-40 is a pretty close match to the Honda Manual Transmission Fluid, but what about the CVT fluid?
widman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

Re: Honda CVT Fluid

Quote:
Originally Posted by widman
Very interesting post on the differentials, now the big question: What is the closest thing to Genuine Honda CVT Fluid? The Honda dealerships here do not carry it, probably because the government requires importers of lubricants to register, pay $200 per year per product plus the legal fees for a 2 month process, report sales and imports per product on a monthly basis and pay a high tax per liter.
So they use 15W-40 diesel engine oil in the transmissions and for the differential they use Dexron until the vehicle gets 50,000 or so km on it, they standard 80W-90. I have so far figured out that the Chevron Delo 400 Synthetic 5W-40 is a pretty close match to the Honda Manual Transmission Fluid, but what about the CVT fluid?

Wow man you are really looking for trouble using those oils.

First the reason no dealers carry CVT fluid is because it has been replaced by honda ATF-Z1 automatic trans fluid which by the way is only to be used in honda automatic CVT transmitions only found in the Civic HX and the new Civic hybrid cars. Neither of these fluids are designed for the rear differential on the CR-V. For that Honda Dual pump fluid is to be used and only Dual pump fluid.
lorunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
mwkirchner
AF Newbie

Here is a direct quote from Honda about their fluids

ATF-Z1 and Dual Pump Fluid

Now Available

In the September ’00 edition of Honda ServiceNews (see the article New Honda Fluids Available Soon),
we told you about ATF-Z1 and Dual Pump Fluid. You can now order these fluids through normal parts
ordering channels.

Here’s the ordering info:
Honda ATF-Z1: P/N 08200-9001
Honda Dual Pump Fluid: P/N 08200-9002

CVT Fluid is no longer available. In ’96–01 Civic
HXs with CVT, refill the transmission with Honda
ATF-Z1.

In ’97–01 4WD CR-Vs, refill the rear
differential with Honda Dual Pump Fluid (formerly
called CVT Fluid), or CVT Fluid if you still have it in
stock.

Never refill CR-V rear differentials with ATF-Z1.

Any fluid other than Dual Pump Fluid or CVT Fluid will cause noise and/or vibration.

Hope this answers your questions
mwkirchner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2004, 07:42 AM   #7
widman
AF Newbie

not there yep

While we keep shedding some light on the usage of different products, I am no closer to what product I can substitude.
As I said above, Honda does not import Honda fluids. If I were to import them, I'd have $200 per product official certification plus about $150 per product in analisis and paperwork (per year). Plus LTL freight for a few quarts. The 120 quarts a year of Mercon V I buy wholesale from the states at $1.80 a quart, but after documentation, freight (ocean, since this comes with full containers of motor and other oils), and taxes it lands here at $6.60 a quart.
So if I may repeat the basic question: Can anyone help me with the BEST replacement oils for the
Dual Pump Fluid
Honda ATF-Z1
CVT Fluid

Anything I can do will be better than the dealer
Old 06-09-2004, 04:14 PM   #8
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

Im lost you cant get these fluids from the Dealer? I know ypu cant get the CVT because once again it is no longer availabel but if you can't get the others than how does that dealer do services?
Old 06-09-2004, 04:41 PM   #9
widman
AF Newbie

The dealer puts in what is available. They know so little about oil that it is sad.
Old 06-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #10
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

And what is availible is ATF-Z1 for transmitions and Dual pump for CR-V rear ends!!! It may not be the dealer as much as it is the parts person.
Old 06-11-2004, 02:33 PM   #11
widman
AF Newbie

As I mentioned in a previous post on this, the certification and paying of fees is not something a parts person can do. Actually, when you get all the paperwork together, the owner or legal representative has to go before a judge and swear an oath that all the papers, products, certifications, etc. are true. Only then can you file for a permit to import or sell lubricants.
Old 06-11-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

I have no idea what you are talking about. Where are you trying to import this shit to or from? this legal mumbo jumbo makes no sense because in the U.S if thats were you are from then you can buy it over the counter now unless there is a different senario that you are not telling i don't think you will ever find the question to your answer.
Old 06-13-2004, 06:57 AM   #13
widman
AF Newbie

I live and work in Bolivia. I have previously worked in 20 different countries and have seen similar restrictions on different products or groups of products. What Honda apparently does not understand is that by limiting the availability of their oil specs, they may get 100% sales of oil in the US, Japan, etc. but in half the world the Hondas will not hold up because no one know what oil to put in them. And even if it was available at the dealer, there is only one dealer in a country of 8 million people and mechanics don't generally know the requirements. Also, you never know where you might puncture the transmission or crack the differential case on a flying or stationary rock (fixed by welding or epoxy fluids), or end up in a river, needing an immediate oil change.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:53 AM   #14
lorunner
AF Enthusiast

ok see that explains it all. Why didn't you say that in the beginning. Im sure that most of us are from the united statse here so i figured you were to. How i understand what your situation is. And as far as i know i really don't know of any alternatives to the fluids but if you find out i would really be interested to know for my own knowledge.
Old 06-15-2004, 10:50 AM   #15
widman
AF Newbie

Well, I as I came into this board I didn't realize that it didn't show where you were posting from as many boards do.
As of now what I'm goint to use is Chevron Delo Synthetic 5W-40 for the Manual transmision fluid, as the analisis of the Honda fluid shows similar properties (although there could be non metalic addives that I can't see). The best I can come up with for the rest of the fluids will be the Dexron III, and I'll use Chevron's ISOSYN product, although I will keep researching to see what the Honda fluids are. If I get one in with original dual pump fluid I'll send it to the lab to see the additives and viscosity.