Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F-Body Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 09:18 AM   #1
CindyLynn
AF Newbie

1994 Chev Camaro V6-- low trac light

Hi- My 94 Camaro has some breaking issues. When I come to a stop and apply the break peddle, it's like the break doesn't 'catch' until the last second and the 'low trac' light comes on every single time I stop. Sometimes, the break peddle goes down halfway, then 'pumps' back up.

I stopped at a local garage yesterday and they were familiar with this issue and said it was a speed sensor on the wheels- stated it was a common problem with camaros.

Some people tell me- oh don't worry about it- but it's the BREAKS for heavens sakes! I don't want to hit some one.

Is anyone familiar with this issue? This will be the first time I've used this garage, so I'm just trying to do some additional checking.

Thanks!!!
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
Tech II
AF Fanatic

Re: 1994 Chev Camaro V6-- low trac light

Usually, the low trac does not come on, during braking, it comes on during accelerating....

Did they test drive the vehicle?

Did they check for ABS codes?

Do you know what ABS braking feels like?
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #3
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Do your brakes squeak at all? Sometimes worn out or just generally crappy brake pads don't work well until some heat has been generated, hence the lack of stopping power when you first hit the pedal, followed by an eventual better brake response.
As for the 'low trac' light, that could be related the ABS or issues with the traction control system.
Also, check your brake fluid level... and your spelling.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
CindyLynn
AF Newbie

Thank you for your responses! To answer Tech II- no, they have not pulled any codes/hooked it up to a computer yet to see if/what codes would generate. No they have not test drove the vehicle yet. And I’m not sure if I know what ABS braking "feels" like……..I know that they ABS light comes on occasionally…..

To MikeCStig: No, the brakes do not squeak at all and the brake pads were recently checked and passed for inspection in VA. I’ve also checked my brake fluid levels and it seems to be fine.

So what about a part called the ‘master cylinder’? Someone mentioned it may be going out?

Got a price quote from that garage for $268 to replace the speed sensors on the front 2 wheels……I got a price quote for an ABS speed sensor online and it looks like they run around $50 each…..
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 AM   #5
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyLynn View Post
So what about a part called the ‘master cylinder’? Someone mentioned it may be going out?
I hadnt thought of that... it's totally possible that your master cylinder is acting up. Often, master cylinder problems are accompanied by a brake fluid leak. Not always, but sometimes, so keep an eye on the brake fluid level. It may be fine now, but there may a slow leak. There also could be some air in the brake lines. These things are worth looking into.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Camaro | Firebird > F-Body Problem Diagnosis