Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
rkukndinger
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to rkukndinger
1994 tracker hit and miss startups

My '94' tracker starts when it feels like starting... started about a couple of weeks ago... husband put it in the garage and tapped on plate under the gas tank.. tracker started... when he shut it off, and left it sit for 10 minutes and then tried again.. wouldn't start... any suggestions?
rkukndinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
viperh
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to viperh Send a message via Yahoo to viperh
Re: 1994 tracker hit and miss startups

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkukndinger
My '94' tracker starts when it feels like starting... started about a couple of weeks ago... husband put it in the garage and tapped on plate under the gas tank.. tracker started... when he shut it off, and left it sit for 10 minutes and then tried again.. wouldn't start... any suggestions?

It turns over and does not start? If it turns over and does not start I would go in this order.
1. Replace the fuel filter.
2. Check for spark. Remove the spark plugs from the block and hold them againg the exhaust manifold while someone cranks it over. If that's good skip to four. If one of them doesn't spark. Replace the sparkplugs (if you have a carquest get NGK sparkplugs they are the cheapest and the best to get. If there is no car quest just remember the cheaper the spark plug the better.) Repeat the spark plug test. If they work skip to four. If not go to three.
3. Replace the spark plug wires.
4. Take the air filter out and spray carb cleaner into the intake while someone cranks it over if it tries to start you need either a new fuel injector or a new PCM.

Keep me updated on what happens.
viperh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
rkukndinger
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1994 tracker hit and miss startups

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperh
It turns over and does not start? If it turns over and does not start I would go in this order.
2. Check for spark. Remove the spark plugs from the block and hold them againg the exhaust manifold while someone cranks it over. If that's good skip to four. If one of them doesn't spark. Replace the sparkplugs (if you have a carquest get NGK sparkplugs they are the cheapest and the best to get. If there is no car quest just remember the cheaper the spark plug the better.) Repeat the spark plug test. If they work skip to four. If not go to three.
4. Take the air filter out and spray carb cleaner into the intake while someone cranks it over if it tries to start you need either a new fuel injector or a new PCM.

New spark plugs were put in a couple of days ago.. we bought a fuel filter and putting it on today.. I will let you know if anything happens.... You are right, it turns over but no fire... I smell gas when it gets flooded, so I know the pump is working... Like I said... it starts when it feels like starting... sounds like it is only running on 3 valves instead of four when started... until it warms up.. then runs on all 4.... why would this happen?
Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #4
rkukndinger
AF Newbie

Quote:

Okay.. Fuel Filter has been changed.. new plugs put in... The tracker started right up.. but ran rough... Like its not hitting on all cylinders.. brought it back to the garage... turned it off... and then the tracker wouldn't start again.. just turns over... Husband hears 3 clicks when turning the key to on... 1st one under the dash.. 2nd one by the firewall by the engine.. and the 3rd click under the dash again... I guess its the ECM Module sending signals to the switches.. Could it be relay switches going bad.. or the ECM getting weak... At this point any advise would really help.,... I love this tracker... and I really can't afford a new vehicle.. but I don't want to pour more money into this truck then its really worth..... Help !!!!!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
viperh
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to viperh Send a message via Yahoo to viperh
Re: Re: Re: 1994 tracker hit and miss startups

Sounds like ECM.. Look at "1991 Geo Tracker" there is a guy there that will rebuild your ECM..

Last edited by viperh; 12-11-2005 at 09:58 PM.
viperh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:13 PM   #6
rkukndinger
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 1994 tracker hit and miss startups

Quote:
Sounds like ECM.. Look at "1991 Geo Tracker" there is a guy there that will rebuild your ECM..

Issue has been solved... My husband, first took out the fuel pump... checked that to be sure that the pump wasn't bad... pump was good... took a voltage tester to make sure there was voltage to the pump...wire was not testing out... followed the wires from the fuel pump.. and found 2 wires were corroded off the ground... repaired the wires... hasn't skipped a beat since.. tracker runs better then it did... with no missing involved at all... runs very smooth.. and starts everytime... Thank you so much for all your imput... and I will keep everything you said in mind.. and will still check the ING fuse and make sure that is alright as well..
Old 12-22-2005, 12:38 AM   #7
gumby_ct
AF Regular

I don't own a Tracker yet but I am looking at a 95 LSi the owner says won't start. I am wondering if it has this same problem but have no idea where to find the fuel pump or wires. Can anyone get me pointed in the right direction? Please.
Thanks,
Gumby_CT
1995 2dr Tracker Conv. 4wd, 5spd, A/C 170k mi. (My Fav)
gumby_ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:10 AM   #8
HAWG
AF Regular

the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. The tank needs to be removed to gain access to it.
HAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 08:17 AM   #9
gumby_ct
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWG
the fuel pump is located in the fuel tank. The tank needs to be removed to gain access to it.
and that explains why I couldn't locate it. How bout the wires- any idea the easiest place to access them?
Thanks
Old 12-22-2005, 08:34 AM   #10
HAWG
AF Regular

Re: Re: Re: 1994 tracker hit and miss startups

not sure you can access them without the same procedure of removing or dropping the tank.
HAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:31 AM   #11
dgee
AF Regular

drop the tank is the easiest way to get to the wires i had similar problem on my 95 tracker but instead my problem was the plate the fuel pump went to the wire on top of the plate were corroded under the cover for the wire ground wire that is.
dgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2005, 10:33 AM   #12
dgee
AF Regular

gumby ct check the ignition fuse make sure it is not blown. one other thing have some one turn on the ignition and you stand by the gas filler with the gas cap off and listen to hear if the fuel pump is working will only turn on for three seconds.. that usually the clicking under the dashboard that you hear is the fuel pump relay turning off after 3 seconds.
Old 12-23-2005, 10:53 AM   #13
gumby_ct
AF Regular

dgee- listening for the fuel pump and checking the IGN fuse that IS useful info...I forgot about both of those.Thanks
The plate you are referring to - is it accessible w/o dropping the tank?
Old 12-24-2005, 12:09 AM   #14
dgee
AF Regular

no it is right on top off the tank in the middle where the wires go and the little hose come out but i would try listening for the fuel pump first.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Geo > Tracker