Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 04:34 PM   #31
JoeBobBriggs
AF Newbie

Its 2005 now, whats available now?

I was 16 in 2001, no interest in alternative fuel but now that I'm in college and taking mechanical engineering and headed for automotive engineering I was wondering if anyone could help me out and give me some information on vehicles today. I heard of a few water powered cars, even one my fiancé’s uncle used to have. Anywhere I could get one or any other type of alternative fuel cars/trucks? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
JoeBobBriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 05:53 PM   #32
2strokebloke
In Stereo where available

Re: Alternative fuel vehicles

Go to the library, they probably have a tons of books about alcohol fueled vehicles, and how to convert your vehicle to run on alcohol. They'll also have books on electric cars, and biofuels.

Support America's dependence on foreign oil - drive an SUV!
"At Ford, job number one is quality. Job number two is making your car explode." - Norm McDonald.
If you find my signature offensive - feel free to get a sense of humor.
2strokebloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #33
Twitch1
AF Enthusiast

Just don't buy into the fantasy hype about hydrogen. It has to be produced from other forms of energy to its final state therefore it is inherently prohibitively expensive. You can't make 15 1-lb. roasts from 10 lbs. of beef. If you consume $1.20 worth of materials to produce another form of energy for $1.00 how do you come out ahead? It's like cold fusion it goes against the laws of physical chemistry and economics.
1996 El Dorado Touring Coupe

There is no substitute for cubic inches
Twitch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 03:44 PM   #34
Lamboholic
AF Regular

Fuel cells are a very good alternative, but if you think about it, it's nothing but a rechargable batterie. The problem is their low efficiency about 25%. Batteries on the other can deliver 90% + efficiency. But fuel cells can store more energy but they can't charge or discharge nearly as quickly as high performance batteries. But fortunately there is a huge developpement at battery science going on and they will rapidly improve to exeed the fuel cell capabillities in every way.
You can ectually notice this in the mobile phone idustrie, but this is only a small example. I happen to be somehow experienced with electricity combined whith racing and I've seen some amazing performance capabilities which batterie power can provide.
Lamboholic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars