Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 08:43 PM   #1
edlmmx
AF Newbie

Unhappy 1998 Ford Ranger Air Bag Code 27

I have a 1998 Ford Ranger that is displaying an air bag code of 27. Can you tell me what it means and how do I reset/get rid of it?

Thanks
edlmmx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 12:50 PM   #2
WMS
AF Newbie

EDLMMX, greetings. saw your post on the Ranger Code 27. Funny, but I just pulled out my instrument panel to replace a bulb and now I have a code 27. What did you do to get yours cleared...Your assistance is appricated..
WMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 03:06 AM   #3
tommy2
AF Newbie

Re: 1998 Ford Ranger Air Bag Code 27

Has anyone figured this out yet? Mine is doing it too!
tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 07:56 AM   #4
gerg
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 1998 Ford Ranger Air Bag Code 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy2
Has anyone figured this out yet? Mine is doing it too!

I had this happen on my 98 Ranger.(code 27) My light on the module that turns off the passenger side airbag was burnt out. I went to Radio Shack and bought a 12v light with wires attached and soldered them to the existing light.(didn't even take it out!) It fixed it!! Cost, about $1.50 and 20 minutes of fix time.

Note: if the light by the key switch to turn off the passenger side airbag does not work, it diables the entire airbag system! Hope yours is as easy to fix.

gerg

-If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the
others here for?-
gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
MethodMan420
AF Regular

During vehicle operation the air bag Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS ) module will detect and store both intermittent and hard failure Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC s) in nonvolatile memory. The DTC strategy employed by the ECS incorporates a
time-out scheme for determining when a concern exists in the system. This requires a concern to exist for up to one minute in the system before the ECS will detect it. For the ECS to determine that a concern no longer exists, the concern must be absent for up to one minute . The actual detection time-outs vary with each DTC. The DTCs can be retrieved with the New Generation Star (NGS ) Tester using the retrieve/clear continuous DTCs option. Any DTCs stored in the ECS will be displayed on the NGS Tester along with a brief description of the DTC. If no DTCs are present, the NGS Tester will display a SYSTEM PASSED message. This option can also be used to clear DTCs from the ECS memory, as long as the concern no longer exists. Once 254 key cycles have been recorded since the concern was last detected, the DTC will automatically be removed from memory.

The On-Demand Self Test option is used to verify that no electrical concerns exist with the air bag Supplemental Restraint System (SRS ). Upon entering the self test, the air bag Electronic Crash Sensor (ECS ) module will make an electrical check of each electrical component in the system. If a concern is detected, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC ) is displayed on the New Generation Star (NGS ) Tester with a brief description of the DTC. Concerns detected during the self test are not stored in memory, unless the same concern was also detected during normal vehicle operation. The self test should always be run after any repair to verify that the repair was successful.

The ECS monitors the SRS for possible faults. If a fault is detected while the ignition switch is in the RUN position, the ECS will illuminate the air bag indicator located in the instrument cluster. When the ignition is cycled (turned off and then turned on), the air bag indicator will flash the two-digit lamp fault code (LFC). The air bag indicator will flash the LFC five times, then it will remain illuminated for the rest of the key cycle. The ECS will also communicate the current and historical DTCs through the data link connector (DLC), using the New Generation STAR (NGS ) Tester. If the air bag indicator does not function, and the system detects a fault condition, the ECS will signal the GEM to activate an audible chime. The chime is a series of five sets of five tone bursts. if the chime or buzzer is heard, the SRS and the air bag indicator requires service.

Lamp fault codes are prioritized. If two or more faults occur at the same time, the fault having the highest priority will be displayed first. After that fault has been corrected, the next highest priority fault will be displayed.

Yes you are correct by saying that code 27 is a PAD switch or warning light fail or PAD switch warning light short to battery ... either way its probably the cause of your DTC.
MethodMan420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2004, 06:58 PM   #6
tommy2
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Re: Re: 1998 Ford Ranger Air Bag Code 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerg
I had this happen on my 98 Ranger.(code 27) My light on the module that turns off the passenger side airbag was burnt out. I went to Radio Shack and bought a 12v light with wires attached and soldered them to the existing light.(didn't even take it out!) It fixed it!! Cost, about $1.50 and 20 minutes of fix time.

Note: if the light by the key switch to turn off the passenger side airbag does not work, it diables the entire airbag system! Hope yours is as easy to fix.

gerg

-If it's true that we are here to help others, then what exactly are the
others here for?-
That did the trick. I didn't know there was a light there. It looked like a filled in spot to me. I had never seen the light turned on. Thanks for the help.

tommy2
tommy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:45 PM   #7
probell
AF Newbie

Send a message via ICQ to probell Send a message via AIM to probell Send a message via MSN to probell Send a message via Yahoo to probell
Smile Re: Re: 1998 Ford Ranger Air Bag Code 27

gerg,

Thanks for your post. I have no way to read codes, but I heard the five tone alarm every time I started the vehicle and the passenger air bag off light did not light up. I was skeptical, but tried your advice and it worked.

Parts:
1) 12-volt colored lamp (Radio Shack part: 272-1099)

Tools:
1) socket set
2) philips head screw driver
3) soldering iron

Procedure:
1) remove ash tray from console panel
2) using a socket set, remove 4 hex head screws from console panel
3) pull console panel out of the two clips
4) remove connector from air bag key module in console panel and take console panel to a work bench
5) remove 2 philips head screws to remove the airbag key module
6) carefully unclip the plastic tabs that hold the airbag key module case together
7) remove connector circuit board from air bag key module
8) solder the yellow replacement lamp to the two solder pads for the original lamp on the back side of the circuit board (which wire to which pad does not matter)
9) tie the replacement lamp in place next to the original lamp
10) replace the circuit board in the airbag key module and snap the case back together
11) connect the airbag key module in the truck and start the engine to check that the lamp illuminates and that the alarm does not sound
12) screw the aribag key module back into the console panel
13) snap the console panel back into the truck
14) replace the 4 hex head screws
15) replace the ash tray
probell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:07 AM   #8
tx_rooney
AF Newbie

Cool! It worked. Many thanx!
tx_rooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 03:26 PM   #9
lericha
AF Newbie

Many thanks to Tommy2 and Gerg for the info on airbag code 27. The Ford Dealer wanted $70. just to hook up their code reader. As was stated, the fix cost $1.50. I'm sure they knew that when I talked to them.
lericha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
gregsandiego
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: 1998 Ford Ranger Air Bag Code 27

Probell, Gerg,
Just applied this fix on my 98 Ranger and it worked once again. Thanks Gerg for finding the solution. Thanks Probell for the detailed instructions and even giving me the Radio Shack p/n#.

I had the heater core replaced and I guess that mechanic damaged the lamp during the process.

Greg
gregsandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2006, 08:50 AM   #11
thecressmans
AF Newbie

Talking Re: 1998 Ford Ranger Air Bag Code 27

Just a little note, I applied this fix to my 2001 F-150 with great results. Thank you for the help. I saved a bundle.
thecressmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 06:38 PM   #12
eugenethejeep
AF Newbie

I just experienced the same problem with 98 Ford Ranger after installing some communications equipment on the transmission hump. Tore out half of the interior looking for the connector I inadvertantly disconnected or the wire I shot a screw through.

What an inane design. Another of Ford's "better ideas". Better for Ford dealers!

Don't know how you figured this one out but wish I had come here first. Could have spent the rest of my life (or a couple hundred dollars as Ford would have wanted to replace the entire switch unit) trying to find a solution.

Many thanks!
eugenethejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:12 PM   #13
BUZZERCO
AF Newbie

This I can say it's the same for the 1999 Ford Ranger
Dealers have "service tech's" they only know how to change out assemblies "switch and or PCB".
Where as "Bench Tech's" take out the assembly and replace the component on the board "lamp"
The part # is correct but the price for me was $2.50 it was a package of three one yellow, green and red.
12-volt 60ma 3 colored lamps (Radio Shack part: 272-1099)
Just for the fun of it I used the red one.

Thanks for the info it worked fine

BUZZERCO
Guy Fitzpatrick AKA " MMZ>BUZZERCO "
BUZZERCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
skinman55
AF Newbie

I can vouch that it worked on my 2002 F-150 as well. My advice, be careful with the soldering iron. I have a very nice burn on my hand from it. Also the replacement lamp from radio shack is very bright. I pulled the orange cover off the factory lamp and put it on the replacement, that made it a little less distracting.
skinman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 11:46 AM   #15
mfre1111
AF Newbie

you know your stuff my man or woman. good job! we need more people who know there stuff like you in here. I have been turning wrenches for about 30 years and you kicked my butt on that one. my hat is off to you. with much respect. Matt Freeman
mfre1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Ranger | Courier