Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2002, 06:35 PM   #1
Accord-ing
AF Newbie

Question Need more info in modifying the Air filter

I am a beginner in the car mods area. I want to change the air filter intake and the exhaust system in my 1996 Accord-LX (4 cyl, auto) to add some extra horsepower to it. I really don't know much about this topic. I am looking for some of your expert advice on this issue. Will appreciate If you can refer me to some technical websites which explains the pros and cons about modifying the airfilter and exhausts. Before I make the decision of changing the air intake and echaust, I would like to well informed about the good and bad consequences. I want to be a well informed customer before I go to my mechanic with this ides, so that he would'nt rip me off.
Accord-ing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 06:57 PM   #2
jalfaro
AF Newbie

Modifying Air Filter

Hello,
I'm kind of new at this too and someone correct if I'm wrong.
With a simple air intake filter system you won't get more horse power just better performance. A little more fuel economy, yes. The reason for this is that and air intake system just lets more air get sucked into the engine which in turn means less gas. (Air and gas mixture). If you want more horse power then you can get header for you car. you can get 4-1 which is for street racing or 4-2-1 which is for a little more horsepower and performance. Then you go for a cat back system for the entire package. But from what I understand you can start off with and air intake system which you can put on yourself and once you see the improvement in you car then you can go with headers and an exhaust system (Catback). Air Intake= more air rushed in the engine = better performance. Headers + exhaust = more horsepower.

Not much help but it's a start.
jalfaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 08:11 PM   #3
hondaluvr97
AF Newbie

I would definitly go with the headers for your car. I noticed the biggest difference when I put them on mine. A 4-2-1 type is probably best. After that its just how much you wanna spend on the exhaust and intake. But I dont know of any bad effects of these mods so I can't help ya there.
on Kuhmo 215 40
-DC headers
-APEXi Dunk cat-back
-Eibach Sportlines
-Bec-Tech struts
About 2in. off the ground! :smoker2:
hondaluvr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2002, 11:29 PM   #4
Dahmin8
AF Enthusiast

Intakes, believe it or not can give a motor it's biggest HP gains. It is because the motor is receiving more air at a cooler temperature that this comes about. Exhaust, on the other hand will give you better breathing capability and you will gain more HP as a result. If you look at it from the forced induction perspective you should be able to understand why air intake is so important. If you put on a turbo or supercharger you will see tremendous HP gains. I have never seen any motor get those kinds of gain when it came to strapping on an exhaust. On the other hand the exhaust is very important, in that this is where the spent gases get released. Without a matching exhaust system for any intake system you still loose a little of what you can ultimately gain. In other words, start with the intake side of the motor and go from there. Cooler air temperature, forced or otherwise will produce HP. But if the exhaust is restricted by a stock header and muffler then you will gain HP but not all of it.

On the subject of 4 into 1 versus 4 into 2 into 1 headers both have there advantages.
It really depends on what you're trying to achieve. A 4 into 1 header is good for top end performance. A 4 into 2 into 1 header is good for low end performance.

Most 4 into 1's are for racing.

Most 4 into 2 into 1's are for off the line speed which is where they help to build up torque faster.
These are good for the street because you can tune your motor for top end performance with other methods.

And by the way, TORQUE is the force that gets your car moving.
I hope this clears up a few things.:flash:

Last edited by Dahmin8; 02-26-2002 at 07:39 AM.
Dahmin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2002, 07:09 AM   #5
Dahmin8
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need more info in modifying the Air filter

Quote:
Originally posted by Accord-ing
I am a beginner in the car mods area. I want to change the air filter intake and the exhaust system in my 1996 Accord-LX (4 cyl, auto) to add some extra horsepower to it. I really don't know much about this topic. I am looking for some of your expert advice on this issue. Will appreciate If you can refer me to some technical websites which explains the pros and cons about modifying the airfilter and exhausts. Before I make the decision of changing the air intake and echaust, I would like to well informed about the good and bad consequences. I want to be a well informed customer before I go to my mechanic with this ides, so that he would'nt rip me off.
Oh yeah, by the way, welcome to AF.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid