Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic
COMPLETELY off-topic Talk about anything other than cars. But you can't be mad and angry in this forum!
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #1
fredjacksonsan
Caution: Monkeys bite!

Send a message via AIM to fredjacksonsan
Recent computer experiences -- long

Sorry this is so long, but had to vent and put in complete details...

So my 6 year old HP/Vista laptop died in December. It had been near perfect, only locked up 2-3 times and that was corrected with updates. But the motherboard was dead, so I started shopping. My primary requirement for a computer is reliability. Speed is not that important, for several reasons to include the fact that today's speed demon is comparatively slow in 6 months, and I buy computers to keep and use, not to upgrade twice per year. Added to that, I don't do anything requiring high end graphics such as online gaming, so ultimate speed means little in my case.

First instinct was to go with HP again, after the great service the previous computer had given. So I ordered online (going to store not an option due to residence location) a computer that was not top of the line, but surpassed my previous computer in speed and memory by a factor of 3. It was shipped from China.

Upon arrival, started up and tested the computer. The buttons and keys were complete feces. Some wouldn't work unless you pressed them multiple times or very firmly(like as hard as you could with 2 fingers), others would provide 2 or 3 clicks per press. I used it for 2 weeks in the hope that it would loosen up and start working properly, but was disappointed. Since there was a 30-day return policy, it went back to the company. In the interim I had found out (from a friend in IT) that HP had fallen on hard times and their build quality had suffered, so I decided to go with my second instinct.

Second instinct: DELL. I have owned Dell in the past and was quite happy with them, and a few folks I know have Dell computers and say they are good to go. So I ponied up the couple hundred additional for the Dell and awaited arrival. And waited, and waited. Shipped from Tennessee to Montana, you would think it would arrive in a realistic time, but it took 19 days from date of order to arrive. 19. By FedEx. China again, via Tennessee maybe?

When it finally arrived and I opened it up, it had a power cord for the UK. Grrrr. So contacted Dell, (45 minute phone call) who were nice enough to send a replacement cord for the US. Oh but they also gave me the admonishment that if I did not return the incorrect cord to them, I would void my warranty. (Really?) At least sending the cord back would have been free.

The keys on the Dell were crisp, the computer worked well ... until I attempted to connect to the internet via WiFi. Then the frustration began, with frequent disconnects, despite close proximity to the hub and settings configured to "stay connected". At random times, it would simply disconnect, often during a simple page change or while sending email. This despite testing with multiple WiFi hubs and providers. Then spent over 3 hours on the phone with Dell support, while they took command of the computer, changed settings, downloaded new drivers, changed this and fiddled with that. (I'm no luddite but some of the things/areas they were accessing were new to me). At the end of the call they said that should take care of the issue, and they scheduled a callback in 3 days to follow up.

Within 6 hours, the computer was up to its old tricks. I received an email from Dell referencing the service call, with a reply address. I requested an immediate call for support and detailed the complete history.

Neither the 3 day callback nor the request for immediate support occurred. While I was waiting I did my own online research and tried several different approaches to correct the issue all to no avail. After day 5, (enough!) I sent the computer back to Dell under their 30 day policy. This must have triggered something in their system, for later that day I received a call offering further support and a free replacement of the WiFi card in the computer; this was from the same guy (in India) that had performed the original changes remotely. I told them the computer had already been dropped off at the UPS facility.

My third impulse, and one that I have considered for a few years now, was getting a Mac. With the reputation of "it just works" (without fiddling with settings and drivers, etc) as well as their renowned customer service, I had often considered trying one. But the price had always put me off a bit, as well as the differences in the interface. But after taking a look online, there are plenty of how-to's on changing from IBM to Mac, many but not all done by Apple. And when compared to an IBM clone with similar processors, memory and hard drive, the price was actually pretty close. So I ordered the Mac.

I had a couple of chats with Apple reps during this time and spoke to them once; all fantastic experiences, all with folks from the US. 3 days after ordering, the computer arrived, the sun came out and I have not looked back. This thing is not only faster than the Dell (less than 10 seconds to install Java as opposed to more than 90 for the Dell with the same memory and processor) but the keys...work. The WiFi...works. The interface...works and although challenging in some aspects it's a breeze in others and I actually welcome the fresh outlook provided by the OS.

Simple. Functional. Intuitive. I think I have become a Mac snob.

Thanks for reading, if you're considering a Mac, just do it.
fredjacksonsan is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Coffee Break (Off-Topic) > COMPLETELY off-topic