Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Cirrus
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:48 AM   #1
self-defence
AF Newbie

Cirrus 98 acting up every so often

Hi guys.

I've got a little problem with my 98 2.5L V6 Cirrus with an automatic transmission. It's got about 190000 miles (306000 km) but aside for the current problems runs well.

Anyway a few months ago the problem showed up and have been getting more frequent as time went on. I don't know if these are three symptoms or just one connected one.

Some info:
I do know that my catalytic converter is shot and one of the exhaust manifolds is cracked and needs to be repaired. But the manifold has been also cracked ever since I had the car.

Sometimes when I try to start the car it cranks and almost fires but then dies down again or it starts and does a few revolutions but dies again. I need to add throttle for it to not
die and then a few minutes later it idles ok.
In both cases the check engine light comes on but then goes out again when you crank it.

Other times it just starts up fine and works great.

I thought that damp weather had an effect since it seemed that the problem would show up more then to non humid. But it happened again yesterday and it was sunny about 77°F (25°C). The car was in the sun all day.

I'm not sure about the idle it's not exactly rough but if you can feel a slight variance in the idle every few cycles but I don't know if that's normal or not. It's been running like that ever since I bought it.

During normal driving without any notice the car dies (I'd describe it as a hiccup) and runs normally onward. When this happens the check engine comes on but only for a brief moment when it dies. You wouldn't even see it if you weren't watching the light... I only noticed because the cruse control cut out.
Sometimes it never happens and sometimes it happens as frequent as every few minutes. Two days ago it happened 6 times in about 2 miles (3 km).
But I haven't been able to decipher a pattern.
I used to think that it only happened when you'd let off the throttle or breaking (it seems to happen more times during breaking right before you stop or coast). But 2 days ago it happened more than once when accelerating so I don't know anymore.

I did the key on-off-on-off-on in 5 sec. procedure to get the check engine codes but the only code I keep getting was 1-2-5-5 and nothing else.
I'm not sure but I found that 12 is the battery disconnected recently and 55 is the end code. Is this right?

I also tried to connect the OBD2 diagnostic computer thing and it connected fine. I could read the RPM engine temperature all of the sensors (didn't quite know if something was wrong).
But it didn't read any error codes. It said no fault codes detected.

So now I'm stuck and don't know how to go on or what get looked at.
I keep reading about crankshaft position, oxygen, camshaft, mass air flow sensors. Idle and egr valves. Rotors and distributor caps. Stalls and misfires.
I read a lot of threads on some of these issues but I still don't know where to start and try to sort this out.

I don't want to take it to a Chrysler dealer again since the last three times I took it there they scammed me and I way overpaid. So no more. The wrench-work can be done by a good friend of mine who's a mechanic but doesn't do electronics. So I've got to sort this out myself.

Anyway if somebody has any input I'll greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys and bye
self-defence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:59 PM   #2
self-defence
AF Newbie

Re: Cirrus 98 acting up every so often

Well it happened again.

It was running fine all day long just half an hour ago I got of the highway and drove into our parking lot. It stalled the first time when I was stopping on the parking lot and then meanwhile parking died twice more.

I connected the OBD2 reared to check if anything was logged but it said same as always. No faults detected.

Bye
Old 04-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
self-defence
AF Newbie

Anyone have anything?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
self-defence
AF Newbie

Hi guys.

Well I've got a new symptom now.
I went to the gas station and ran ok. Then went on the highway and after about 40 miles went of and heard a knocking noise coming from the engine. It sometimes stops a little and goes again but it goes faster if you push the accelerator.

Checked the oil and the transmission both ok.

By ear I'd say the noise is coming from the front top part of the engine or the front of the engine. The par there the belts that drive the alternator and other stuff.

I'm not sure but I don't think that this would be directly connected?

But what could it be anyway.

I'm not going to use the car until I get this sorted so any help would be appreciated so that I can at least calculate how much work is gonna need to be done.

Thanks again and bye.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:04 AM   #5
self-defence
AF Newbie

Well we've identified the latest problem.
The alternator is apparently busted. It still gives out power but the barring seems to be broken and is giving out a knocking noise when connected to the drive belt.

But the good news is that the car hasn't stalled since this problem showed up.

Could they be connected? Probably not.

Anyway main problem still exists.

Bye