Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
View Poll Results: Best country for automakers?
America 14 19.72%
Japan 12 16.90%
Britain 1 1.41%
Germany 23 32.39%
Italy 13 18.31%
Korea 1 1.41%
France 3 4.23%
Sweden 2 2.82%
Other? 2 2.82%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-14-2002, 02:16 PM   #31
crayzayjay
CFA

Mr_Root>

congratulations, what an amusing post.

FIAT's are lame, you say. Why exactly? You can't just say it without a reason.

Lancias are ugly. Ok, but that's just your opinion, and it doesnt make them bad cars does it..

Alfa's are fucked up... gee, what moronic reason will you give for that lovely statement?

Come on, you really seem to have it in for Italian cars, so for my amusement please come up for some reasons why Ferrari's, Maserati's, Bugatti's and Lambo's are crap. Much appreciated

I cant believe we agree on Germany but then you say BMW are unreliable. Hilarious
Old 05-15-2002, 04:50 AM   #32
Mr_Root
AF Regular

Well well well, what a great reply! You happend to be am italian fanatic. I assume you eat noting but a pizza or pasta, drive an italian car and have the Benito Mussolini picture beside your bed )))

But seriously I'll explain why I wrote my statement.

A very good friend of mine is a Fiat and Alpha dealer so I have a pretty good chance to test drive some of the cars. I tested Fiat Brava, Bravo, Palio Weekend, Seicento. Really, they are cheap not only in price but in design. You just feel the bad build quality in everything you touch. They break quite often. Sometimes after 1000 km you just HAVE to back to the service for some repairs! Can you imagine? NEW CARS!
Alpha's are great from the outside but the inside... really you have a strange mishmash of real great design with cheap fiat like details. Cool speed and rev meters in the front and really lame placed and made el. window switches in the middle. And the gear stick... allways too far to reach. I'm a toll guy 193 cm and a friend of mine is 176 cm and we both have to really hard put our hands forward to reach the gear shift. This is the thing all Alphas I checked out. On a british automotive program "Top Gear" they said it's a "tipicall italian driving position"

Lancias. Hmmmm... Never seen one from the inside and never driven one of them. But all I can see is an ugly car. I can't help it. For me Lancias are UGLY!

Talking about BMW's unreliability... I have 1996 Z3 1.9 Roadster. Before I have had 95 728i. Let's see... both those cars had the same problems with cooling system, power steering pump broke also in both, the rear suspention in the 7'th is very weak and some parts must be replaced regulary, lapms in the dashboard brake in both cars... the list can go on. Am I alone in the complaints about BMW? No! They are great but delicate cars! I used to drive Hondas (2 Accords, CRX, CRX Del Sol, 2 Preludes) and they NEVER broke that much!

So... what I wrote is not something I made up. This is my point of view I came up after test driving, looking at, driwing reagulary or talking to my friends who have such cars. Better try to watch what you're saing or rather writing about.

Good luck and watch it. Eating to much pizza can be dangerous to your health hehe )))

Regards

Old 05-15-2002, 07:22 AM   #33
crayzayjay
CFA

Well, i do love pizza, and pasta, but i dont drive an italian car nor do i have a picture of Mussolini beside my bed!

If theres one thing i try to do its watch what im saying. If i came across a little strong, here's why:

Driven several Alfa's (not alpha's), all fun to drive, excellent engines, sumptuous interiors (the new ones), and no trace of bad build. Strange driving position I will hand to you, but that wasnt enough to make me think the cars i drove were bad

To be honest, I havent driven either the Bravo or Brava, but i can tell you the Fiat Coupe is excellent to drive and doesnt seem to be as unreliable as you say, at least in my friend's experience.

You have passed judgement on Lancias without having driven one or sat in one. I refer you to the Lancia Delta Integrale EVO, one of the finest road cars of all time and the most successful WRC car of all time. You might find it ugly, but drive it once and you'll want one.

Back to BMW, two of our last 4 cars in the family have been Bee Em's and in the 4 years we owned the first it was flawless, the second one gave us one (very) minor and cheap-to-fix problem in 7 years experience.. I call that reliable

So just as you said, what I wrote is not something I made up. This is my point of view after test driving, looking at, driving regulary or talking to my friends who have such cars. Better try to watch what you're saing or rather writing about.
Old 05-15-2002, 07:35 AM   #34
Mr_Root
AF Regular

OK... so we have different pionts of view on the cars we are talking about based on two different experiences... cool... now shake hands and go for a beer

Old 06-18-2002, 06:01 PM   #35
What ya Smoking?!?
AF Enthusiast

ima going wit germany!:bandit: :smoka: :smoker2: :ylsuper
Old 06-18-2002, 06:09 PM   #36
Ando_Rules
AF Enthusiast

GErmany, Italy, and Britain r the best car makers but i choose italy because i love ferrairs maseratis and lambo's
Old 09-01-2002, 12:12 AM   #37
Porsche911T
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Porsche911T
Quote:
Don't forget Yugoslavia... The Yugo man.... That car ROCKS!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are you kidding?
ehh no offense, daewoos are the kinda the yugos of today..

My vote goes to Germany. They have everything, super cars, economy cars, beautiful cars that were all show no go (Volkswagen Karmann Ghia) beautiful cars that will scare the shit out of you (Porsche Turbos) kampers, the old beetle, cars that ranged from 800 dollars to 1,000,000 dollars. They have everything for ever different person.

What about Poland? Polonez! lol just jokin..
Old 09-01-2002, 10:04 AM   #38
crayzayjay
CFA

I have to disagree and say there's nothing particularly wrong with Daewoos. Ok they're not the most thrilling cars in the world but they're perfectly capable and offer great VFM. I'm not a great fan of them, but there's no denying they have achieved a well-earnt respectable standing in the car industry. All car companies have to start somewhere.
Old 09-01-2002, 11:48 AM   #39
Porsche911T
AF Regular

Quote:
I have to disagree and say there's nothing particularly wrong with Daewoos. Ok they're not the most thrilling cars in the world but they're perfectly capable and offer great VFM. I'm not a great fan of them, but there's no denying they have achieved a well-earnt respectable standing in the car industry. All car companies have to start somewhere.
Well value for money? I don't know I think in this case you get what you pay for. I'm not going to say anything more because I don't want to insult this mans car. I just started laughing when I saw the Yugo comment. Some people might think the Yugo was a brilliant car. Great on gas, and disposable, which is what it's purpose was in the first place. What do us americans do now? Buy a car for a year, then get rid of it... leasing, but the Yugo was before leasing was around. I was impressed with the ratings on epinions for the Yugo. The Yugo's styling wasn't all that bad either, some looked like the Volkswagen Rabbit. I'm no Yugo fan, I'm just defending it if no one else will.
Old 09-01-2002, 02:07 PM   #40
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
I don't want to insult this mans car
You misunderstood where im coming from: I dont own a Daewoo; I personally wouldnt buy one, but i understand why some people do, and i dont put them down for it. Cars have improved so much over the last decade that a car that is considered bad today will still easily fulfill all the requirements a car should. Even cheap cars like Daewoos are reliable, some extremely so, have reasonable performance and are specced handsomely. They must not be the boldest designs nor the most handsome but there are many positive things to be said about most of these cars. The only bone i have to pick is with companies like Proton who make these "budget cars" at not very budget prices. As for the rest of em, keep up the good work
Old 09-01-2002, 03:33 PM   #41
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

the best to come out of Germany:

Small Cars: Audi A2/Mercedes Benz A-Class
Small Saloon: BMW 3 series/Mercedes Benz C-Class/Audi A4
Big Saloon: Mercedes E-Class/BMW 5-series/Audi A6
Luxury Cars: Mercedes-Benz S-Class/Audi A8
Coupe: Mercedes Benz CLK/CL
Convertible: Mercedes Benz SLK/SL, Porsche Boxster
Sports Cars: Porsche 911 Turbo/GT3/GT2/
Super Cars: Mercedes Benz CLK-GTR/Porsche 911 GT1

I think every car listed here is near enough leader in their class, with the exception of the Sports Cars to the Italian marques. Judging by this i dont see how any other country can be classed as better than Germany
Old 09-03-2002, 03:16 PM   #42
Porsche911T
AF Regular

Quote:
Small Cars: Audi A2/Mercedes Benz A-Class
That's right, you lucky bitches in Europe have two times what we have here, just a few that I think would be cool in america are the polo and the s3. You guys also have a hell of a lot more diesel engines availible to you.
Old 09-03-2002, 04:33 PM   #43
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche911T

That's right, you lucky bitches in Europe have two times what we have here, just a few that I think would be cool in america are the polo and the s3. You guys also have a hell of a lot more diesel engines availible to you.
we need the diesel engines though. our fuel is so damn expensive that we have to look for ways of economy without sacrificing performance e.g BMW 330D, MB S320 CDi.
Old 09-04-2002, 01:52 AM   #44
Porsche911T
AF Regular

Volkswagen also has several different diesel engines available for the Golf in europe, we are stuck with the 1.9L 90HP here in the US. Maybe in the future when we get the same diesel fuel you guys get these engines will be available.
Old 09-04-2002, 11:34 AM   #45
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Porsche911T
Volkswagen also has several different diesel engines available for the Golf in europe, we are stuck with the 1.9L 90HP here in the US. Maybe in the future when we get the same diesel fuel you guys get these engines will be available.
yeh VW are doing some amazing things with diesel engines. i think the GT-TDi golf is actually faster than the GTi now

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons