Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9-3
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
Pickngrin
AF Newbie

Buying a used Saab 9-3 -- if service records are great, do I need an inspection?

I'm looking at 2007 and 2008 Saab 9-3s. I am supposed to go see one later that the private seller advertises as 'immaculately kept'. The mileage is within normal limits. My question is, assuming that the car presents as he describes it, and the service records show regular maintenance as he reports, is it reasonable to make an offer and give him a deposit without bringing it to a mechanic for inspection? I'm asking because I know I won't be able to get an inspection appointment for the same day, and I'm thinking that this car will be swiped up pretty quickly.

Any thoughts?
Thanks
Pickngrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
mbunakeith
AF Regular

Re: Buying a used Saab 9-3 -- if service records are great, do I need an inspection?

I recommend getting an inspection on any car you are seriously considering. I have seen some pretty shifty stuff happen on seemingly "perfect" cars. wrecks that didnt show up on carfax reports. items left out of service history.
innadequate/temporary repairs. etc...you never know. It happens, but it is pretty rare that someone gets rid of a perfectly fine vehicle for no reason. their reason could be that the car just drives "cheap" to them. in that case, you are good to go and as long as you know what you are getting, you should be happy. I find it wild that someone would take a large financial hit on that kind of situation, but it happens.
mbunakeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
Pickngrin
AF Newbie

Re: Buying a used Saab 9-3 -- if service records are great, do I need an inspection?

Thanks for your feedback. I wound up having the car inspected that week. The mechanic told me that the car was in excellent condition, and I did purchase it. My better judgment told me that I shouldn't purchase a car without inspection, but at the time I posted, I wasn't sure how I would be able to schedule that. The car is great! Thanks again.
Pickngrin is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Saab > 9-3