Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Tips and Maintenance Procedures
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Tips and Maintenance Procedures Post helpful tips, maintenance guides and R&R procedures for all Buick models here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #106
HotZ28
AF Moderator Elite

Re: 4T65E Trans Shift Hard, P1811 DTC

Did you find out if the fluid/filter was changed when the mechanic changed the PCS? If it has been 2-yrs since that repair, even if the fluid/filter was changed, it would not hurt to do it again.

HotZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:59 PM   #107
MWC31
AF Newbie

hello guys, i'm having kinda the same problum but what i have is a 1999 grand prix gt, and it will shift from 1st to 2nd just fine and dont want to shift to 3rd untill you get to 50+ mph, and then its a hard shift but does fine after it shifts, but when you slow down it wont take passing gear or 2nd till you get down to about 35 mph and then the same thing increasing speed to 50+ to hit 3rd again. i'm not sure if its the 3/4 solinoid or tcc solinoid, or accumulator's or what. can anyone help me please? thanks so much.
michael
MWC31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 08:25 PM   #108
06chevyimpss
AF Newbie

I have an 06 Impala SS and the tranny stopped working on me on the freeway didn't want to go into any gears. I had it diagnosed and it came up with the P1811 code. The car doesnt move.what do you recommend I do rebuilt the transmission or get the shift kit and see if that works?
06chevyimpss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 08:48 AM   #109
3echo9
AF Regular

I have a 2004 Buick LeSabre Custom with 135K miles. I'm having the hard shifts in first and second too. I had the fluid and filter replaced and the transmission shop said there were no stored codes. I only have the problem after the car has had a chance to warm up.

Would this kit work for the Lesabre? I didn't see it listed on the ZZ website.

2004 Buick LeSabre 200,860 mi

2011 Infinity G37x 103,000 mi
3echo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #110
buffbuh
AF Newbie

4T65E Transgo Shift Kit

I have installed the Transgo Shift Kit 1-2 2-3 accumulator parts (springs, spacers), and I have the tranny side cover off to replace the solenoids.

Is it easy to install the extra parts that come with the Transgo Shift Kit while I have the side cover off with Tranny still in vehicle?

A. Springs for 3-4 accumulator
B. Seal for the third clutch piston, a chamfered seal and a spring for the groove
C. A new spring and boost valve
D. A long-lipped seal for the reverse servo

Are these accessible and easy enough to install? Or require more technical disassembly/re-assembly?

Would it also be smart at this point to install a new 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator assembly? (New pistons, rings)

Thanks,
Buffbuh
buffbuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:50 AM   #111
dpalomaki
AF Regular

P1811 Code

120K miles. Had the P1811 (adaptive shift) code set and intermittent harsh shifts.
Tests with a recording scan indicated that the 1-2 shift was slow, leading to max tranny fluid pressure.

Installed the TransGo shift kit on the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulators yesterday along with filter and fluid change. (Ordered kit with filter from TripleEdgePerformance) and so far so good. Shifts are firmer, and the 1-2 shift is faster. Took about 2 hours to do the install at a leasurely pace.

Tips to save mess compared to more traditional tranny filter change (with no drain plug).
- The shift kit installs from the underside, car on ramps works.
- Use a suction pump (like the Mityvac MV7400) to remove most of the tranny fluid first.
- Us a large plastic pan/tub under the tranny to catch residual fluid, dropping parts, dripping, etc. WalMart has one that is about 5x16x22 inches for around $5
- it took 8 quarts of fluid to refill

This was faster and much easier than trying to replace the pressure control solenoid somes time associated wit the P1811 and may address other issues as well. The kit came with some additional parts for the 3-4 shift accumulator, etc., but they are hard to reach, and may not be needed to address the issue.
dpalomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:50 PM   #112
husky_jeff
AF Newbie

Re: 4T65E Transgo Shift Kit

Hey Bufbuh;

I'm a newbie too; have been lurking for ages considering what to do with my '04 Bonne's insane hard shifts - did the seafoam thing for about 500 miles which did nothing at all in helping to eliminate the hard shifts, and now have the accumulator assembly on the bench with the Transgo kit installed in it.

The thing is, I called the telephone number on Transgo's 4-page instruction sheet and talked to Jim, he said to definitely replace the EPC solenoid, as highlighted on page 2 - it says "EPC solenoid: Replace it! This solenoid fails with no metal contamination, even on perfectly clean low mileage transmission."

So I ordered an EPC solenoid off the net, got a Bosch part in a GM labelled sealed plastic bag. So now I'm considering the replacement process for the EPC - I don't have a repair manual for the car, so will be searching that info out on how to replace the EPC solenoid... maybe you know a link for that info?

As to your question on whether to replace / and how hard to replace the other parts in the Transgo kit - he told me that this Transgo kit was not meant to be a "fix all" for the hard shifting problem, but a kit intended to be used by rebuilders at the pint of a rebuild. For specifics on using the additional springs/seals/parts in the kit, I'd say call Jim at Transgo - he was very helpful, and didn't mind the questions at all. They're in the business of selling parts, and ultimately we're all buying parts.... Anyway, the number is (626) 443-7451, and just ask for technical support.

best regards,
Husky_Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbuh View Post
I have installed the Transgo Shift Kit 1-2 2-3 accumulator parts (springs, spacers), and I have the tranny side cover off to replace the solenoids.

Is it easy to install the extra parts that come with the Transgo Shift Kit while I have the side cover off with Tranny still in vehicle?

A. Springs for 3-4 accumulator
B. Seal for the third clutch piston, a chamfered seal and a spring for the groove
C. A new spring and boost valve
D. A long-lipped seal for the reverse servo

Are these accessible and easy enough to install? Or require more technical disassembly/re-assembly?

Would it also be smart at this point to install a new 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator assembly? (New pistons, rings)

Thanks,
Buffbuh
husky_jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 11:49 PM   #113
enslow
AF Regular

I'm not sure if you'd consider the solenoid a DIY job or not. It really depends on your experience and skills. I haven't done it myself, but I am considering it. Here's one link that shows some of what's involved:

http://helpwrench.com/forums/showthr...WM-EPC-1-2-2-3
enslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:31 AM   #114
cg22
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 4T65E Trans Shift Hard, P1811 DTC

I know this is an old article which helped me a whole bunch. Many thanks to BNaylor for his input!!!

I wanted to give back to this community and share another possible solution that solved my hard upshifts and whining 4T65E tranny (1999 Regal GS).

My alternator was acting up (flickering lights), had a new battery installed recently too. After reading this article (and being a electrical engineer) I decided to replace the alternator and disconnect the battery cable for a few hours. Well, it did the trick, no more hard upshifing and tranny whine disappeared. I am sure a tranny shop would have soaked me for a rebuild ($2000-3000). Nothing else was done to the tranny.

Tranny is due for a service soon and I plan on using the Seafoam Transtune and Dextron VI in the near future.

Again, thank you all for your detailed posts and input on this subject!!!!

Regards,

cg22
cg22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #115
cg22
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 4T65E Trans Shift Hard, P1811 DTC

I wanted to give back to this community and share another possible solution that solved my hard upshifts and whining 4T65E tranny (1999 Regal GS).

My alternator was acting up (flickering lights), had a new battery installed recently too. After reading this article (and being a electrical engineer) I decided to replace the alternator and disconnect the battery cable for a few hours. Well, it did the trick, no more hard upshifing and tranny whine disappeared. I am sure a tranny shop would have soaked me for a rebuild ($2000-3000). Nothing else was done to the tranny.

It is due for a service soon and I plan on using the Seafoam Transtune and Dextron VI in the near future.

Again, thank you all for your detailed posts and input on this subject!!!!

Regards,

cg22
Old 12-11-2012, 02:12 PM   #116
Tech II
AF Fanatic

It was probably alternator whine, not transmission whine you heard...
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #117
cg22
AF Newbie

It was 100% tranny whine, from under the car......
Old 12-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #118
BNaylor
AF Moderator

Best to keep an eye on it. Removing the battery cables will clear DTCs such as P1811. The P1811 setting is what causes the tranny to whine because maximum line pressure is commanded on.

Update: So far to date on my '99 Regal LS with over 236K miles no more P1811, whine or harsh upshifts so the shift kit mod helped. Recently I too had to replace the original alternator. But after replacement picked up a SES light and P0741 DTC. The TCC is "stuck off". Basically the TCC is not locking up after it shifts into 4th OD above 45 mph. The rpms are supposed to drop an extra 200 rpms or so. Troubleshot and determined a valve body issue with the TCC-PWM solenoid/valve. TCC-PWM solenoid coil ohms out good (10-12 ohms) and all wiring between the transaxle and PCM module. So adding 8 oz. Seafoam to see if I can get the valve body cleaned out. No plans for a rebuild. As far as driveability it runs a few hundred rpms higher when cruising and noted a minor gas mileage loss as a result.

'08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP (Dark Slate Metallic) - LS4 5.3L V8
'02 Oldsmobile Alero GL2 - LA1 3400 V6
'99 Buick Regal LS - L36 Series II 3800 V6
'03 Honda CR250R MX - 2 Stroke 250cc
'97 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - L67 Series II 3800 V6 Supercharged (Sold)
Timeslip 08/12/06

AF Community Guidelines
BNaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:59 PM   #119
michael81240
AF Newbie

Question Re: 4T65E Trans Shift Hard, P1811 DTC

2003 Buick Century, 87,000 miles
Transmission flushed and filter at 75,000 miles to stop hard shifting. Mechanic stated no codes.

This seemed to work for a short time. Then, it started again.
Sometimes when warm, stop at stop light, start off and bam, shifts and then goes on. Never shifts hard in other gears, just 1-2.
Will the shift kit fix that. Either zzp or transgo?
I plan to use Seafoam for a week, Put in kit, and switch to either Maxlife or Dexron VI.

I am not a mechanic but can do most things.

Thanks for the info,
Michael81240
michael81240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #120
enslow
AF Regular

For those considering replacing the PCS themselves, I've come across information I've not seen in this thread so far, as far as I know from these 12 pages.
I can't remember if this was linked, but it has some good advice:
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=705285

However, I would still remove the pinch bolt from the rack.

Also, according to the LeSabre, Boneville, Olds 88 FSM you don't need the engine support. Instead you support from below with a transmission jack. I plan to use jack stands to support everything from the sub frame.

I expect more trouble pulling the axle, as I don't have a slide hammer.

Last edited by enslow; 06-04-2013 at 03:09 PM.
enslow is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Tips and Maintenance Procedures