Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Initial D
Initial D Japanese Cartoon Racing, Drifting and more.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 12:52 PM   #16
Layla's Keeper
Supermodified

A few randomly collected thoughts and opinions

You know, you've got some good ideas there. But I'd think that you might want to "homogenize" your chief rivals. Yes, rice-bad: real car-good. But the story shouldn't have that so blazenly apparent. If you make Rey into a poser right off the bat, then your readers will know the outcome of the race before they turn page one. If you even things up a bit, then you build some tension and suspense.

Some parts seem a bit TOO inspired by already existing racing mangas. MC getting royally pissed and driving wildly, Takumi vs Shingo in first stage. 800hp classic Z car that runs high speed Wangan style races, Wangan Midnight's "Akuma no Z" (Devil Z). You might want to better disguise this.

You've got basically good raw material, just needs fine tuning to remove faint traces of blatant inspiration. I'd also suggest trying to draw in even more variety in thee racing.

Also, I myself am a writer. Just say the word and I'll give the rundown on my own work in progress, an Initial D fanfic focusing on a touge team from Okayama. It has its own set of cool characters, interesting cars, and dramatic turns of events.
Old 11-02-2002, 08:56 PM   #17
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

Dude I have some suggestions. 1st you need to fine tune the storyline. It looks as if youve blatantly rippped of D and Wangan Midnight. 2nd, the S/C'd Impreza should be converted to a turbo'd one. I dont know of any S/C kits for a 2.5, but APEX'i did make a turbo kit for it a while back. I belive it used an IHI RX-6 Turbo, which is HUGE, btw. The Suzuki Escudo Pikes Peak rally cars(yes, the ones in GT3) use 2 of them, and they generate some rediculous hp figure.

What would be cooler, is to do a story about old school street racing. Have old RX-7s Datsun 510s, old Celicas, S12 200SX with FJ20ET etc.

Wait...thats a good idea. Dotn steal it!
Derek: Haha AF Sig Material
Dorikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2002, 09:01 PM   #18
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

You bring up some good points...

Quote:
Originally posted by Octagon
You know, you've got some good ideas there. But I'd think that you might want to "homogenize" your chief rivals. Yes, rice-bad: real car-good. But the story shouldn't have that so blazenly apparent. If you make Rey into a poser right off the bat, then your readers will know the outcome of the race before they turn page one. If you even things up a bit, then you build some tension and suspense.
Yeah, I'm trying to work on that. I didn't want to show all of Rey's poserisms at the beginning or even throughout the story. I don't want to show MC's sbilities right away, either. It would be a progressive deal. I was thinking of building up all kinds of anticipation to this final race, then MC gets let down, realizing that Rey is a slow poser. MC would decide just to stay behind Rey, content to get the postition on the team. But he sees his mentors watching the race, and realizes he'd be letting them down. Then MC decides to just go for it, and gives Rey a serious arse-whuppin'.
Quote:
Some parts seem a bit TOO inspired by already existing racing mangas. MC getting royally pissed and driving wildly, Takumi vs Shingo in first stage. 800hp classic Z car that runs high speed Wangan style races, Wangan Midnight's "Akuma no Z" (Devil Z). You might want to better disguise this.
I was trying to think of how to disguise those things, too. I was thinking of just having MC say that he 'red misted.' The thing his, he does it in the first part of the story with the BMW 5-series, too. He's chasing the guy all over the place, driving on the shoulder and cutting people off. I guess I could say that the 5-series and SS drivers were disrespectful(respect is a big theme in my story) and "hurt the car," so he got mad.<shrugs shoulders>
I have no idea what to do with the Z, however. I don't know much about Wangan Midnight, and almost completely forgot about the similarity. I know the "Devil Z" still has the stock L6 motor, right? I got the inspiration for the RB-swap from a Z in a magazine I saw. As far as driving, I guess I could have the Z driver do the country road thing too. Maybe I'll have him install the entire GT-R drivetrain. It's actually been done.
VQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 11:00 PM   #19
Pimp Excape
AF Newbie

From what I've read on the fourms carmaros have realy bad handling. There was a wrx vs. ss, the ss would pull 5 or 6 car lengthes ahead but in the turn the wrx would easly cach up. the wrx driver said he saw the ss tires skip a little and was unstable. I don't know the secs on the cars so the ss could have improved handling for your story.

Rather than getting another car from shin, since there is a mutual respect maybe a friend of one of his opponents knows someone with a car for sale.

I thugh of a way, rather than drive 140 on the freeway, for mc to get his nerve again. Shin being a known racer(posably famos within some circles) takes him to a race track(I don't know of any in TX) at night. He gets in and is able to race there because he know the right people. You comented earlyer about stuff looking good in a movie so one car on a track racing on its own would look cool.
Pimp Excape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 11:21 PM   #20
Kaneto
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Kaneto
Dunno about that. It all depends on driver skill and car setup.

Just this past sunday at an autocross a camaro posted one of the fasted times of the day, beating out all the WRXs, some hachis, a few fully race prepped RX-7s, etc.

Almost anything can be made to be quick and to handle well.... except for Kias... and anyone who tries with a Kia should be shot.
Old 11-06-2002, 08:43 AM   #21
azndng
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to azndng
man.. i posted this really long reply.. but the comp lagged and freaking didn't post it. damn it. anyways.. the main point was.

are these races down hill? straight? or uphill?
azndng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 02:15 PM   #22
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Well...

Sorry it took so long to reply. I couldn't get onto the board because the server was busy.
My area of Texas is very flat. There's a few banked curves, and that's about it. The roads are curvy though, and so there is a lot of high speed turns and tricky ones that fool you on where you should turn in.
MC doesn't get the car from Shin. He finds the S14 for sale, but wants another engine. He gets the engine from Shin.
However... having the domestic leader tell him about the car would be pretty cool. He's a good guy, too. Imagine someone who is respectful and honorable like Takeshi Nakazato or Sudou Kyouchi. When MC has his accident, the domestic leader stops to help and calls the police. After learning that the SS driver knocked off MC's mirror(it was carbon fiber), he makes the SS driver pay MC $200 to get it replaced. Then he kicks him off the team.

A big reason MC is reluctant to race again isn't just because of his fractured ankle. I forgot to mention that his dad was killed in a similar accident, so MC thinks that he got off lucky and shouldn't race anymore. He doesn't want to endanger his gf again, either.
I can't think of a place for Shin to race, though. There aren't any roadcourse tracks here, because it's so flat.:o I found a better place for Shin to race the Viper, though. It's a freeway feeder road, but it's pretty curvy with a couple nice straights. I was thinking of having a Highway Patrol Mustang trying to catch them. Obviously, the 'Stang gets left behind.

The SS didn't necessarily need to have great handling to beat MC. The SS driver had more power, and he cheated twice. The fact that MC gained ground on him and was right on his tail at the end is supposed to be a testament to how bad the SS driver really is. He's the noobie out of the domestic team. Think of a person that is annoying and cocky(like Seiji Iwaki) and lacking real knowledge(like Takeuchi Itsuki) driving a Camaro SS.haha
Old 12-11-2002, 12:31 AM   #23
tenzoracerevovii
AF Enthusiast

i know i'm late as hell.....but i like it. even though it is inspired by japanese anime, i think it was a good attempt at making a storyline. i think you should continue w/ it......i enjoyed reading it......

Don't you know, it's 10 hp for every sticker, 50 hp extra for every additional inch of rear spoiler behond stock height.
-obiewancoyote
tenzoracerevovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 05:34 PM   #24
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Thanks!

I've been kicking some more ideas around. I finally came up with a name for the main character!!! His name is Scott. I thought of changing his first car from an EG Civic to a CRX for an even lighter, more agile car, but most of my friends said no.hehe

I also wanted to make Ken out to be Scott's biggest rival. After their first race, they keep in touch. They race again later, after Scott get's his RB-powered S14. Ken trades up to a new WRX STi and is making about 300hp with some bolt ons.

Shin's character has changed from a former circuit racer to a former mechanic on a circuit racing team. Some folks on another board thought that made more sense.

About a week before the race with the Camaro SS, Scott heads to Shin for some more upgrades. He gets a set of Toda Racing's VTEC Killer cams, which delete the VTEC in his motor and make power from 5k up to redline at 13k. Scott bumps up his timing, adds some 100+ octane fuel at the last minute, and makes sure he has a minimal fuel load. I think there was some other mods, but I forgot.:o
After the SS driver shears off Scott's mirror, Scott gets mad. It turns out he's been short shifting, and he decides to get serious and takes his engine all the way to redline for the most power.

Any more thoughts?
Old 01-25-2003, 07:58 PM   #25
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

I rewrote the first part of my story...

This is a more polished summary of what happens. Sorry it's so long.:o Check it out, and tell me what you think.

My story begins with my main character, Scott, leaving a study group and heading home in the evening. Driving west on Interstate 10, he is rear ended by an unseen driver in a BMW 5-series. After Scott get out to exchange information, the 5-series driver pulls off. Scott follows the BMW, trying to get close enough to see the license plate. A news chopper starts to follow them, and the police join the pursuit. Scott is forced to pull over and let the BMW go. After being issued a ticket, Scott is told that the 5-series was stolen, and the driver had no insurance. Scott will have to use his own money to pay for the damage, or pay legal fees to take the person to small claims court. The video footage from the chopper is aired that night, along with a brief interview with Scott.

The next day, Scott is meeting with Rey and a few members of the G-Riders. He explains that he won’t be able to race for a while because he will have to pay for the repair bill on his Civic hatchback by himself. Rey laughs it off, telling Scott that he can have all the time he wants, because Scott could never keep up with his supercharged Prelude. Watching Rey leave a cloud of tire smoke behind, Scott decides to spend his money on more performance parts instead of fixing his bumper.

A few days later, Scott stops at Speed Unlimited, a performance shop in Houston. Shin, the owner, starts to dismiss Scott as hopeless after hearing about his dilemma, but recognizes his face from somewhere. Scott admits that he was on the news a few nights ago. Shin remember, having been impressed with Scott’s ability to keep up with the BMW in his Civic, while still driving safely. He decides to help Scott out, and tells him to come back the next day to discuss building up the Civic.

Scott heads home, excited about working with Shin. His mother tells him that his best friend Jenny called while he was out. He meets Jenny at a local park, where they talk for a while. Jenny is excited about her upcoming marriage, and Scott does his best to be supportive, although he is really in love with her. He tells her about Shin, and how he might be able to race against Rey sooner than he thought. Jenny has to go home, but she tells him to call her if he needs any help with tuning his Civic, since she can tune ECUs.

Shin is ready to work the next day. Shin is impressed with Scott’s ideas for tuning the Civic, and decides to become his sponsor. To save time, Shin decides to order a new engine and modify it further on his own. While waiting for the engine, Scott and Shin perform a weight reduction and replace the factory seats with sport buckets and harnesses. Working well into the night, Shin tells Scott about his past. Shin worked with several of his friends on a privateer circuit racing team in Japan when he was young. As chief mechanic, he was responsible for making up for the lack of team funding with innovations. In his spare time, the team driver gave him a few lessons. It is nearly midnight when Scott leaves the shop the next day with the promise of some suspension work the next day.

One week later, after the wheels, tires, brakes and suspension were added to the Civic, the engine arrives. It is a custom built B20VTEC. Shin explains how the hybrid engine has a torque advantage over its 1.6 and 1.8-liter cousins. Having more torque will help Scott against Rey’s supercharged H22, the king of torque among Honda 4-cylinders. Shin installs high-rev valves and valvesprings, even though the engine already has a redline of 9200prm. Next, individual throttle bodies are planned for installation. However, the computer that came with the engine is unsuitable. Scott calls Jenny, remembering that computer tuning is her specialty. She agrees to program a custom computer for him.

With the engine installed, Scott turned his attention to bodywork. Shin orders a carbon fiber lip, hood, and ‘duckbill’ hatch spoiler. Going for a functional look, Scott paints the Civic flat black to match the color of his lightweight, 16-inch wheels. While working in Shin’s shop, Scott meets Lisa, one of Shin’s longtime customers. Shin talks her into taking Scott out to the local autocross events so that he can learn more about driving.

While at the autocross, Lisa learns a shocking truth: Scott has been driving since his childhood. Scott’s father, now deceased, was an amateur sport driver. He taught Scott how to drive go-karts, starting at the age of 12. There weren’t any classes for children as young as Scott, so his father lied on the entry forms. Despite racing with older children, Scott won several races. Scott’s father died before he got his driver’s license, so he never got to see Scott drive a real car. The other autocrossers are impressed with Scott’s driving, especially when he parks his Civic and takes Lisa’s BMW E30-chassis M3 on the track.

After hearing about Scott’s driving history, Shin decides to test him. He calls Craig, a member of a car club called the Spartans. As a customer of Shin’s Craig is eager to challenge the driver of another car that Shin built. Craig meets Scott and asks him to race on Skinner Lane, a cramped, dangerous road that Craig used to live near. Scott is nervous about racing Craig, especially when he finds out what Craig drives: a stripped-out Civic hatchback just like his, but with a 1.8-liter non-VTEC turbocharged engine. The race on Skinner Lane is a sudden death format. Craig leads the way for the first run, and has the advantage, since he can leave Scott behind on this unfamiliar road. Scott barely manages to keep up only by watching Craig closely and mimicking his movements. Near the end, Scott sees and opportunity to pass, but it is a blind right-hand corner and he nearly hits an oncoming minivan. He leads the way for the second run, heading back the way they came. Craig almost passes him, but his engine loses boost mid-corner, allowing Scott to stay ahead. Before starting the third run, Scott realizes that he is running low on fuel. If he is going to win, he has to do something soon. Craig leads again; surprised that Scott can stay on his bumper the entire time. Scott remembers the blind corner where he almost hit the minivan. Before he saw the minivan, he saw the reflection of its headlights on the tree leaves. Not seeing reflections this time, he tries to pass Craig again. Scott takes the outside of the corner, which sets him up for the inside of the next left hand corner. Craig is forced to take the outside of the corner s Scott squeezes by. After the race, Scott and Craig talk. Craig asks how Scott knew when to pass. Scott explained the reflections on the leaves and how not seeing them meant that it was okay to attempt a pass. Craig is impressed, and tells him that if he doesn’t want to join the G-Riders, the Spartans will gladly accept him.

Scott gets home late after the race with Craig and finds a message from Jenny on the answering machine. She is crying uncontrollably, and he can barely understand what she is saying. He decides to drive over to her house to see if she’s all right. Jenny opens the door to Scott, still in tears. Inside, she explains that her fiancée is moving. She was supposed to go with him, but he broke off the engagement to move in with someone he met there. Jenny sobs, asking why she can’t find someone that really loves her. Scott holds her and reveals that he has been in love with her. She is too shocked to reply, but hugs him tighter.

A few days later, Scott meets Jenny for dinner at a restaurant. Scott doesn’t recognize her at first. The cute, tomboyish girl with a ponytail and overalls is sporting makeup, curly hair, and a slinky evening dress. Scott is very surprised and tells her that she was beautiful to him no matter how she dressed. After dinner, they ride back to their spot in the park to talk. The topic of Scott’s racing comes up, and Scott explains that Rey has arranged for him to race with another person that is interested in joining the G-Riders. Whoever wins will race Rey. Scott is already having doubts, because while he is function and performance oriented, most of the G-Riders have slow, gaudy cars. Jenny encourages him to race anyway, because he’s worked so hard already. Scott takes her home, and she kisses him for the first time.

Scott is at Shin’s trying to learn more about his next opponent. All he knew was that his name was Kenneth, and that he drove a Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS. Shin fills in some of the gaps, explaining that Kenneth was an amateur rally drive on the East coast. He earned the nickname “Rooster,” because his then-turbocharged Impreza could spray 30-foot rooster tails from all four wheels while in the dirt. After one bad rally, he lost his biggest sponsor and switched to a normally aspirated setup, because it was cheaper to maintain. With no sanctioned rallies in Houston, Kenneth began street racing, where his unorthodox drifting techniques baffled other drivers, more than making up for his disadvantage in power. Scott decides that he should practice at FM 1463, the road where the race will take place.

The day of the race with Kenneth arrives. Unlike the race with Craig, there are spectators at some of the corners. Rey is there to oversee the race, and is happy to pit two drivers against each other to see who wins. Rey’s girlfriend Elena starts the race. With the advantage of all wheel drive, Kenneth gets a short lead off the line, but Scott’s superior top end gets him ahead before the first corner. Scott keeps his lead until the turnaround point, and they begin in the opposite direction. Scott sees Kenneth weaving back and forth, and wonders if he will do some kind of trick. He thinks back, trying to remember anything odd about the Impreza. The wheels and tires were very strange, because they stuck out past the wheel wells. More importantly, the tires were in a truck’s pattern. Kenneth didn’t seem like a person who would do that to his car for no good reason. Just then, Kenneth keeps going straight off of the next banked corner. In his rearview mirror, Scott sees the Impreza leave the ground briefly and land in the adjacent field. Kenneth uses his all-wheel drive, long-travel suspension and off road tires to cut across the field. Scott is helpless as he watches the Impreza pass him and reenter the road farther ahead. Once in front, Kenneth starts to drift though the corners, using the ‘Scandinavian flick’ maneuver that served him so well in rallying. Scott realizes that Kenneth’s drifting is slower than his normal racing style, and he begins to catch up during the third run. In the fourth and final run, Scott is ready to attempt a pass, but doesn’t have the room. Kenneth is sliding sideways through corners, and is taking up most of the road. In the final corner, Scott finally puts half of the Civic into the dirt to squeeze past on the inside. Because Kenneth had drifted, his exit speed was lower. Scott is able to take the lead and win. After the race, Scot and Kenneth talk more; each impressed by the other’s driving. Kenneth admits that he is skeptical about joining the G-Riders now, because he heard that Rey was just a poser. This plants more doubt in Scott’s mind about joining. The two of them exchange phone numbers and promise to race again later. Rey drives up in his Prelude and tells Scott that he had better be ready to race him, and drives off, with a burnout.

Scott is nervous about the upcoming race with Rey, and goes to practice at the autocross with Lisa. Jenny is upset, thinking that Scott has been avoiding her. She sees him with Lisa, and interrupts them, demanding to know what is going on. Scott nervously introduces Jenny and Lisa, trying to explain that she was helping him with his driving. Lisa starts to look at Jenny’s car, a turbo charged Nissan 240SX hatchback, and compliments her on the work she has done. Lisa explains that Scot is telling the truth, and that he is too young for her anyway. Jenny understands and apologizes. She spends the rest of the day with Lisa and Scott, hoping to learn more about driving herself.

Early in the day, Scott is at Speed Unlimited with Shin, trying to find more power. Shin decides to increase Scott’s timing and adds racing fuel. Scott tunes his anti-roll bar to give himself lift-throttle oversteer.

The night of the race arrives, and the G-Riders are out at FM 1463 early, making sure than the road is clear of debris. Rey shows up, with his stereo blaring, underbody neons shining, and strobes flashing. The crowds are out again, and cheer when he pulls up. The other G-Riders give Rey high-fives and his girlfriend gives him a long kiss. Scott is running a few minutes late, and everyone wonders if he got scared and won’t show. Just then, they hear a high-pitched wail in the distance, coming from the other side of the road. The sound dies down, then comes back even stronger, with the fury of squealing tires. As Rey wonders who that could be, Scott’s Civic comes into view. Scott lets the tail come out on the last corner in a lift-throttle drift. The Civic is screaming towards the crowd, and Rey wonders if he can stop in time. Scott swings out and uses the handbrake to spin 180-degrees to a stop. The lumpy idle of the Civic is baffling most of the G-Riders; they think something is wrong with the car, not knowing that aggressive cams have been installed.

Scott shuts down the Civic and exits, asking Rey if he is ready. Paul, the team mechanic, looks at Scott’s engine. He dismisses it as a 1.6-liter engine, rather than the 2.0-liter hybrid it really is. Paul takes Rey aside to explain what he saw, when Rey tells him that he has everything covered. He opens his trunk and reveals that he had a nitrous system installed earlier in the day. Paul is upset because Rey did not consult him first. He explains that the combination of nitrous oxide with the supercharger already installed could severely damage the engine if additional fuel is not used. Paul had already leaned out the air-fuel ratio for more power, and he can’t change it without his tools. If the nitrous is used, Paul says, Rey won’t be driving himself home. Rey apologizes and promises not to use the nitrous. However, as soon as he gets into the Prelude, he arms the nitrous system. Rey tells Scott that since he is too slow to even think about winning, that he would change the conditions of the race. Scott no longer has to overtake Rey. He only needs to keep up and not be left behind. Scott agrees to the terms, and positions himself for the start.

Rey has Elena start the race again. At the start, Scott leaps ahead, expecting Rey to have a good launch. Instead, Rey bogs out, and Scott has to stop to let Rey get in front. Heading into the first corner, Scott is wondering why Rey is starting from the inside. Rey turns in too soon, and centrifugal force almost flings him off the road. Scott is surprised at the slow exit speed and has to brake to keep from rear ending Rey. A the second corner, Scott watches as Rey pitches the Prelude violently into the turn. The squealing tires tell Scott to stay back for his own safety, although he has no problem keeping up. Scott wonders why Rey is driving so badly, until he realizes this must be the only way he knows how to drive. Knowing that he could pass him easily, Scott stays back, shifting well below his power peak so that he won’t embarrass his friend.

Meanwhile, Shin and Lisa are watching the race from one of the corners. Lisa comments that both drivers are going rather slowly. Shin remarks that Scott is holding back. He explains that after so much testing, he knows what Scott’s engine sounds like at any rpm level. The sound coming from the Civic told him that Scott was not letting the engine make its full power. Lisa asks why Scott would hold back, and Shin tells her that Scott probably doesn’t want to impress Rey. If Scott is really going to progress as a driver, Shin says, he will have to put his feelings aside and do his best.

On the return lap, Scott sees Shin and Lisa at one of the corners, watching him race. He realizes that they came out to support him. By not driving to the best of his ability, he was letting his mentors down. Scott decides that if Rey is embarrassed, he’ll get over it soon enough. He downshifts, placing the engine it its sweet spot and begins putting pressure on Rey. Rey is shocked to see Scott driving faster, and starts swerving back and forth to block him. The turnaround point comes, and while Rey slow down and uses a driveway to turn around, Scott performs another 180-degree turn. He flashes his high beams and revs his engine, trying to intimidate Rey. Rey is actually scared, wondering why Scott is suddenly so aggressive. Starting the third run, Rey is constantly swerving to keep Scott from overtaking. Scott exploits a gap in a corner and draws even with Rey in the exit. Rey activates his nitrous to regain his lead. On the fourth and final run, Scott fakes to the right, fooling Rey into leaving the left side open. Scott overtakes him easily.

Watching from their corner, Shin and Lisa are pleased to see the change in Scott’s driving. Shin explains that from the engine noise, Scott is using its full capability.

Rey is frantically trying to regain his lead. If he doesn’t get back in front by the last corner, the crowds will see that Scott won, and he will lose face. Rey tries to use the same fake maneuver on Scott, but Scott answers back by lifting off the throttle and letting the Civic’s rear end slide out. This move blocks Rey from Overtaking. He decides to use his nitrous one more time in the next to last corner. He activates it and edges past Scott in the exit for a few second. The added stress from the nitrous oxide detonates Rey’s engine, and he loses control and plows into a ditch. Scott narrowly misses the crippled Prelude, and crosses the finish in an incredible upset. He tells the rest of the team to go help Rey. Rey is uninjured, but his pride is badly wounded. He can’t believe that he lost to a little Civic. Scott explains the difference in tuning between them. While Rey spent most of his money on a body kit, paint job, heavy chrome wheels, and a large audio/video setup, and a little on performance, Scott focused only on performance, and managed to make his car lighter in the process. The power advantage that Rey had with his larger, supercharged engine paled in comparison with Scott’s power to weight ratio. Scott’s driving experience only added to his ist of advantages. Rey understands and asks if Scott can help him learn more so that he can be a better racer, and Scott agrees.

At Speed Unlimited the next morning, Shin tells Scott how proud he is. Shin explains that at the rate things are going with business he can afford to retire soon. Once other racers in the area heard about the ‘BMW Chaser,’ and where he got his work done, that he has had trouble serving them all. He also had faith in Scott’s abilities, and profited heavily from wagering on his races. Sponsoring Scott had been a great investment for him. Shin asks Scott if he would like to become a part owner of the shop to help with all of the new customers, and he gladly accepts.

Scott and Jenny are at the park again, watching the sunset. Jenny was excited to hear the details of the race with Rey. Scott doesn’t know what he will do now, but he figures he’ll keep racing for the time being. As Scott drives Jenny home, she falls asleep. He reaches over to stroke her cheek, and she smiles, knowing it’s him. He smiles back and keeps on driving.

The End!!!
Old 01-26-2003, 02:59 AM   #26
Pimp Excape
AF Newbie

good stuff! A few "loose ends" in there for maybe a Second Stage?

I noticed some dicrpencies and while they don't take away from the story i though i'd throgh it in. I was looking into the wrx for rally but it was a while ago and i'm going off memory so the info could be off. A WRX not the 2.5 is more likely to be used since sponcers are hard to find and don't give a lot of money and actuly getting a benifite from the extra .4 litters in an RS compaired to the WRX isn't cost effective. You would have to change the suspention, wheels, turbo/intercooler, ect. The new sti coming out will have 300 hp stock. And off road tires would have bad tarmac grip and would be counter productive as would the extra wide spacing. Instead of noticing the large spacing he could notice that the car has 0 chamer angle generly for drifting and 1-3 degrees are used for grip style driving. It would be more sudle and show more know how.

I hope you don't think im nitpicking though i probly am but i like the story a lot and if you get a more detailed story i send it to a frend of mine who is a TV/movie producer (he did Valintine if anyone watched it). He's not well known. I don't think anything will hapen but ill get his info on it.
Old 01-26-2003, 03:29 PM   #27
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Well Kenneth's Impreza 2.5 RS is his own daily car, and it is a GC8-chassis, which is the previous model. The GC8 turbos weren't available in the U.S, so he couldn't get one, unless it was just for rally use. Being just an amatuer driver, Kenneth couldn't afford that.
While having a turbo is nice for rallying, it isn't a must. After Kenneth went back to an NA setup, he just made sure he had some well-thought-out bolt ons. I'd say his total power is around 190-200@ the flywheel. He does get a GD8 STi later on, though. This is a trilogy, btw.
Old 01-26-2003, 04:53 PM   #28
Pimp Excape
AF Newbie

ahhh now it make sence. I hadn't cosidered and older Impreza.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:06 PM   #29
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Okay...

Here's my second part! I'm stuck at home with a sinus infection, so I spent the day typing up what I wrote for it.

Redline 2: From the Ashes
Nugget: Scott is still fresh from his upset victory over Rey, but a strong, new opponent issues another challenge. From the ashes of tragedy, Scott will have to get back in the saddle to face even more newcomers.

Story begins with a phone conversation between Scott and Rey. Rey explain that the Thoroughbreds, a group of domestic car owners, want to have a “friendly” race. Just weeks after his engine detonated, Rey still doesn’t have a car to drive. He pleads with Scott to drive for him. Scott explains that he never joined the G-riders, so he isn’t obligated. Rey continues to beg, and Scott finally agrees. Rey explains that Scott is allowed to choose the road for the race. Scott selects FM 1458, a curvy road near the town of Sealy. Rey is hesitant when Scott asks who the opponent is. He finally reveals that the other driver is Chad, the young owner of a Camaro SS. Scott is upset, asking why he is supposed to be racing against such a powerful car. Rey explains that the driver is young, and probably isn’t very good. He tells Scott not to worry so much, and hangs up.
With the weekend of the race looming, Scott asks Shin about further tricks to boost his Civic’s output. Shin suggests a new set of special cams. These cams are not only hollow, for more strength and efficiency, but they also delete the VTEC system and allow the engine to make more power from 5,000rpm up to a 12,000rpm redline. Shin tells Scott to use the time before the race to get used to the new power band.
The night of the race arrives, and Scott is making final preparations to this Civic. As with the race against Rey, he increases his timing and adds racing fuel to his tank. Just as he is about to leave and pick up Jenny, Rey calls. He can’t get a ride to the race, so Scott and Jenny will be alone.
At the Knox Truck Stop, the designated meeting place, Scott fidgets nervously, wondering how he will do against this Camaro SS and its driver. He is worried that something bad will happen. Jenny tries to calm him down, but to no avail. Scott looks in the direction of Interstate 10, wondering when the Thoroughbreds will arrive. A few minutes later, a chain of headlights appears in the distance. As they come closer, Scott can hear the roar of V8s. A mix of 12 different “pony cars” pull into the truck stop, including Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds, and a gray Corvette. The Corvette, pulls up to the front, and stops. A man in his late 20s emerges and introduces himself as Bryce, leader of the Thoroughbreds. Bryce is interested in Scott’s Civic, and reveals that he actually likes some of the imports. Scott points out some of his modifications, and Bryce is impressed. He shows Scott his Corvette, a late model ZR-1. Bryce is proud that his LT5 engine combines the advanced technology of the imports with the large displacement of the domestics. Bryce promises to talk to Scott more after the race. He calls Chad, the newest and youngest member of the Thoroughbreds. Chad is rude, and makes fun of the Civic. Chad tells Jenny to find herself a man with a real car, like him. He tells her that she can be his trophy when he wins. He boasts that even if Scott had a head start, he would still win. Bryce decides to take Chad down a notch and gives Scott a 30-second head start. Before Scott leaves, Bryce asks if he can mount a video camera in his Civic’s roll cage. Scott agrees and mounts the camera, so that everyone can see the race later. After he and Chad take their starting positions, Scott is given his head start. Chad feverishly launches his SS at the start, ready to hunt Scott down. Bryce notices how Scott’s conservative launch was easier on the tires than Chad’s reckless burnout.
Scott is heading down FM 1458. Oddly, Bryce wanted the course to detour from FM 1458 to Zaruba Rd, and then to Chew Rd, which connects with FM 1458 again. While Scott is puzzled, he takes the correct route. Chad, unbeknownst to Scott, stays on FM 1458 and passes Scott’s position. Scott reenters FM 1458 to discover that Chad passed him by cheating. Chad quickly races to the end of FM 1458 and turns around to head back to the truck stop.
Jenny is alone at the truck stop, and some of the Thoroughbred members are trying to pick her up. Bryce tells them to leave her alone, and offers to buy her a soda in apology. Bryce explains that he was excited about seeing how well Scott could drive. Jenny reveals that Scott was the “BMW Chaser,” featured on the news a few months ago. Bryce didn’t know this, and figures that Chad may be in over his head.
Scott is almost to the turnaround point, when an oncoming Chad tries to run him off the road. Scott maintains control, however the Camaro knocked one of his mirrors off. After hearing Chad make fun of him, his car, his girl, and finally having him try to cause an accident, Scott decides not to give Chad any mercy. He stops short shifting and lets his engine rev all the way to 12,000rpm. He turns around and blazes down the straight where he lost his mirror, reaching nearly 130mph. Chad, however, has slowed down, confident that Scott could never catch up. He continues down FM 1458, bypassing the more difficult route Bryce had selected for the race. Scott turns at Chew Rd. and heads down Zaruba Rd. He sees headlights on FM 1458 approaching the merging point with Zaruba Rd. Scott accelerates harder, knowing that the headlights could only be Chad. As Chad passes the merging point, the Civic crests the small incline at the end of Zaruba Rd. Chad it frightened to see the Civic airborne in his rear view mirror. He starts to accelerate harder, and barely edges out Scott for the win.
The Thoroughbreds cheer when they see Chad roll in first. They congratulate their junior member with pats on the back and high-fives. Scott is upset, and stays by his car while Jenny tries to cheer him up. Bryce dismisses the entire team, with the exception of Chad. His is suspicious, and asks Chad just where he passed Scott. When Chad can’t answer, Bryce goes to Scott’s Civic and removes the camera. As he watches the playback, his brow furrows. After finishing, he tells Chad to give Scott $200. When Chad protests, Bryce pushes him down, saying that he cheated twice, and damaged Scott’s car. The least he could do was pay for the mirror. Jenny speaks up, and adds that Scott had an undefeated record, and Bryce is even more upset to hear this. The other Thoroughbreds have already left, and they will surely spread the news that Scott has lost. Because $200 can only fix the mirror, and Scott’s tarnished reputation is irreparable, Bryce bans Chad from the team. Fuming, Chad vows revenge, saying that he will beat Scott for real next time before leaving on his own. Bryce apologizes sincerely, not knowing that Chad would be such a poor sport. He says that if Scott gets a more powerful car in the future, he wants to race with him. Scott glumly accepts the apology, and promises to keep in touch. Just as Scott leaves, it begins to rain.
On the way home with jenny, Scott is in a near trancelike state. All he can think about is how Chad managed to defeat him. He was the better driver, but Chad’s SS was too powerful. He begins thinking of what he can do to improve the power of his Civic, when Jenny gasps and points to something. The 18-wheeler in front of them has started to skid on the wet roads. The trailer is jackknifing, and swings toward them. Scott realizes that the trailer will hit Jenny’s side of the car, and uses his handbrake to position her away from the impact. The Civic is still struck by the trailer, and spins into a ditch.
Scott is in the hospital, recovering from a sprained ankle. His front side of the Civic bore most of the impact from the ditch. Jenny comes to see him, and brings flowers. When asked why he is still upset, Scott tells her the terrible news: The frame on the Civic was severely bent, and the insurance company declared it a total loss. Jenny tries to stay positive, explaining that he can buy another car with the insurance money he got. Scott answers that he is through with racing. His father was killed in a similar accident, and if he keeps racing, that only increases the risk for him. Jenny tries to tell him that he’s already done better than his father did, even saving her life, but Scott’s mind is made up.
Bryce comes to Scott’s home to see how he is doing. After talking for a few minutes, he reveals that he found a car for Scott to buy. Scott explains that he won’t be racing anymore, and thanks Bryce for the offer. Bryce leaves, but places the contact number for the car on the counter in case Scott changes his mind.
At Speed Unlimited, Shin quickly tires of Scott’s self-defeating attitude. He tells Scott to meet him at the shop that night so that he can see something. After Scott leaves, he calls Lisa and asks for a favor.
Curious as to what Shin has in store, Scott arrives at the shop. Shin invites him inside, and takes him to the back garage. Scott has never been inside the garage before, and is amazed at all the high-end parts he sees. Shin removes a car cover and reveals his masterpiece: A pristine classic Datsun 240Z, he has dubbed ‘Zed.’ Shin offers to take Scott for a ride, but makes a call on his cell phone first. Inside, ‘Zed’ is a modern cockpit, with gauges and lights galore. Shin drives out to I-10 and punches it. Scott is pinned to his seat, unable to move. Shin makes another call, and in a few minutes, a BMW M Coupe rolls up alongside them. Soon, the two of them are racing on the spacious Sam Houston Toll way at over 100mph. In a few minutes, Shin pulls over and the BMW follows him. Scott is surprised to discover that Lisa was the driver of the M Coupe, and she has Kenneth with her. She tells him that they started going out a few weeks ago. They really want him to continue racing, because they all know he wouldn’t be happy any other way. Kenneth reminds Scott that he owes him another race. Shin breaks in and explains that the world of racing is much bigger than he may have thought. The only way for Scott to see it is to begin racing again. Scott changes his mind, and asks Shin what he should do. Shin tells him to get another car, preferably rear wheel drive. Scott heads home to get the phone number that Bryce left.
After purchasing the car from Bryce’s contact, Scott takes it over to Shin’s. Impressed with Scott’s choice, he asks about his plans for the car. As soon as Scott mentions an engine swap, Shin takes him back to the garage. Next to Zed is another covered object. Shin removes the cover, revealing the heart of Nissan’s legendary Skyline GT-R, the 2.6-liter RB26DETT engine. He explains that the engine was used in Zed until he replaced it with a more powerful hybrid version, a 3-liter RB30DETT. The engine is primed and ready for installation if Scott wants it. He gladly accepts, and the two of them begin modifying the new car’s engine bay to accept the RB.
Rey calls Scott with the latest news: He finally got another car, a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 Spyder. He says that with the new car, he would surely win a race between them. Scott explains that he’s working on a new car, and that it isn’t ready yet.
Jenny begins to help out with the new car, especially with tuning the RB’s computer. Suspension parts are ordered from overseas, and lightweight wheels and tires are fitted.
Rey is out driving his Spyder a few nights later on FM 1463. He is driving fast, enjoying the extra power, and trying to get used to all wheel drive and all wheel steering. A pair of headlights appears in his rearview mirror, and starts closing fast. Rey decides to see how fast this person really is, and accelerates. The mystery car is on his bumper in seconds, and Rey is trying to keep it from overtaking. The car fakes to the right, then passes on the left, fooling Rey. After the mystery car roars by, a second car passes by going even faster. A flame erupts from both cars’ exhaust, as they brake and enter the next corner. Rey tries to stay with them, but is quickly left behind. Frustrated, he drive home, wondering if he’d ever find out who was driving those cars.
Scott gets a phone call from Rey the next day. The G-riders are going to the drag races in Baytown over the weekend, and Scott and Jenny are invited to come along. Scott explains that his car might not be ready in time to cruise up with them, but he’ll try to make it to the event.
That Friday afternoon, Rey and the G-Riders leave for Baytown. He calls Scott on his cell phone, and Scott tells him that he’ll catch up. Rey tells him that he’s too fast for that now, and hangs up.
Scott is actually with Jenny at a junkyard in Houston. After paying his last respect to the Civic, he removes the picture of Jenny from the gauge cluster. He puts the picture into the new car’s gauge cluster, and gets ready to leave.
Rey has just passed Downtown Houston, heading East towards Baytown when he gets a call on his cell phone. It’s Scott, telling Rey to check his mirror. Rey looks just in time to see a dark gray car closing fast. Rey gasps on the phone, and Scott laughs, flashing his high beams. Rey tells his girlfriend Elena to tighten her seatbelt, and downshifts. It does no good, and the car blasts by, turning the next corner after spewing fire from its tailpipe. Rey realizes that Scott was driving the car from a few nights ago.
At the hotel, Rey is upset at Scott for having such a fast car. Scott reveals that it is a gunmetal-painted S14MC-chassis Nissan 240SX. Rey can’t understand how a car with the KA24DE, a 4-cylinder designed for a truck, could beat his twin-turbo V6 so easily. He figures Scott performed an engine swap. He asks if it was the SR20DET, a more powerful 2-liter turbo 4-cylinder. Scott opens the hood and shows that instead of a KA or an SR 4-cylinder, he has an RB twin-turbo inline 6-cylinder. Rey is too frustrated to say anything, and leaves. Scott and Jenny decide to go to bed early. Since he can only afford a room with one bed, Scott sleeps on the floor while Jenny is in the bed. Jenny wakes up later, and curls up on the floor next to Scott.
Saturday morning, it is raining lightly. The group heads to the track at Houston Raceway Park, hoping that the rain will stop. The rain only intensifies on their way to the track, and they arrive to find out that the event has been cancelled. Other spectators begin to head home, but the group runs into Stephen, a visitor from San Antonio. He drives an FD3S, a 3rd generation Mazda RX-7. Stephen really wanted to see what the Houston racing scene was like, and proposes having a race of their own, since the event was cancelled. Rey agrees, and Stephen follows the group back west.
Via cell phone, Rey and Scott are discussing where to hold the impromptu race with Stephen. Scott recommends FM 1458, but on the north side, rather than the south side where he raced Chad. Rey agrees, and when everyone pulls into the Knox truck stop, he is ready to take on Stephen. Scott had assumed that he was going to race Stephen and tries to talk Rey out of it. After all, stock-for-stock, the RX-7 weighs over 1,000lbs less than the 3000GT VR-4 Spyder. Stephen’s modifications involve reducing the weight even further, and adding more power. Rey, in his traditional fashion, has added more pounds than power to his Spyder. Rey doesn’t care, and wants to carry the torch for the G-Riders. Stephen only wants to race with Scott, but agrees to let Rey race with him first.
The sudden death formatted race begins with a long straight down FM1458, followed by intense curves, some of them banked. Rey begins in front, and Scott doesn’t even bother to watch. Rey doesn’t know the road at all, and hasn’t improved his driving, either. Stephen looks like he knows a thing or two, and it won’t take long for him to realize that Rey isn’t very good. Sure enough, Stephen is leading Rey back to the truck stop five minutes later. When asked what happened, Rey grumbles and goes inside the store for a soda. Stephen explained that he passed Rey before they even got to the curves. He is disappointed, because he expected more from Rey. Scott offers to race him again, and Stephen accepts, hoping for a real challenge.
Scott and Stephen are about to enter their vehicles when Rey comes out of the store to give Scott some advice. He tells Scott to watch out on the straight, and that Stephen likes to tailgate. Scott assures Rey that he’ll get farther along before Stephen can try to overtake. Rey wishes Scott good luck and accidentally closes the door on Scott’s injured ankle. Scott is hurting badly, but decides he can still race.
Elena starts the race, and Scott roars ahead. He and Stephen blast down the straight at over 90mph. Scott knows exactly when to brake for the first curve, and is able to extend his lead slightly. His ankle is bothering him, however. Scott’s car is very powerful, and the clutch is very stiff. Once Stephen gets an idea of what the curves are like, he manages to keep up with Scott. Scott is reminded of his very first race with Craig, and is impressed that Stephen has the intuition to be able race on an unfamiliar road. After they finish the first run, Stephen asks Scott to lead again. Figuring Stephen is just unfamiliar with the road, Scott agrees to give him some leeway. Little does Scott know that Stephen has already figured out a way to win. As he watches Scott, Stephen confirms that he hasn’t been pushing himself very hard. Stephen tries to pass on a bridge, where the shoulder is wider. Scott is caught off guard, and barely accelerates in time to outpace him. Stephen laughs, having made Scott think twice about going easy on him. He starts to tailgate Scott, trying to force him into going faster. Scott finally realizes what kind of pressure he had been putting on Rey when he tailgated him in their race. Scott decides that if Stephen wants to see his best, he’ll give it to him. He starts to downshift, but his ankle hurts too much from using the clutch. Scott remembers that by rev matching, he can shift and minimize transmission damage from not using the clutch. He lets the rpm level drop, and he is able to slip into the next gear. Scott pushes ahead faster, even surprising Stephen. To keep applying pressure, Stephen has to start drifting in the corners. This gives him a higher entry speed than Scott, letting him tailgate for just a moment. Scott isn’t fazed by the new tactic. He realizes now that Stephen is trying to pressure him into making a mistake. Even though Stephen can gain ground on the corner entry by drifting, his exit speed is lower, so Scott isn’t worried. To turn the tables, Scott starts to drive even faster, knowing that Stephen won’t be able to keep up on the exit if he continues to drift. Surprisingly, Stephen keeps drifting at a higher speed. Now Scott is worried. On the wet roads, something I bound to happen. Just then, Stephen enters a curve too fast and begins to spin. Scott can only watch in his mirror as Stephen’s Mazda spins across the road. The RX-7’s rotary engine is placed far back in the engine bay, placing the weight in the center of the car. Without a weighted end to regulate the slide, the Mazda spins until it reaches a ditch on the other side. Scott stops to turn around and help Stephen. He is uninjured, except for his pride. Looking at his RX-7, he notices that the only damage is a bent wheel and a cracked front lip. Scott follows Stephen as he limps the RX-7 back to the truck stop.
At the truck stop, everyone is surprised that Stephen crashed. Scott helps Stephen put a spare tire on the RX-7. He remarks that he hadn’t really pushed himself with the new car yet. Stephen tells him that he should test out his limits so that he can know what his potential really is. He adds that Scott and the group should come to San Antonio sometime. Stephen explains that the country roads have hills and are much more fun. Scott agrees to visit soon, and says goodbye.
A few weeks later, at Speed Unlimited, Scott gets a phone call from Bryce. He is upset, and relates the story of his race with Gary, the owner of a Viper. Gary was very fast, and defeated Bryce, even when he used his nitrous. After the race, Gary explained that with his Viper, he expects to be the fastest person in Houston. When Gary asked if anyone might stand a chance against him, Bryce tells Scott that he was the only person he could think of. Scott is flattered, but thinks he is too slow. Shin overhears the conversation and asks what is going on. After hearing the situation, Shin volunteers to race against Gary. He tells Bryce to ask if anyone else can race Scott. Bryce agrees to relay the message.
The next day, Bryce tells Shin and Scott that Gary has found someone to race with Scott. The race will be in a team format, with Shin and Scott versus Gary and his chosen racer, respectively, driving on the same route. When asked who Scott’s opponent was, Bryce explains that Gary said the person wanted to remain anonymous. Scott is left puzzled as to whom the mystery opponent is.
The night of the race arrives, and there is a crowd at the Katy Cinemark 30 theater on Highway 99, also known as the Grand Parkway. Scott and Shin are there early, making some final adjustments to their cars. Someone on the edge of the parking lot shouts that Gary is coming. Soon, they hear the rumble that only 10 cylinders could provide, and they see a red Dodge Viper RT/10 pull up. Gary steps out and says hello. Scott focuses his attention on another approaching roar, lesser than the Viper’s, but somewhat familiar. A Camaro SS rolls in, driven by none other than Chad. Chad hops out, and tells a stunned Scott that he’s been practicing his driving so that he could get his revenge. He gives Jenny a flirty slap on the rump, and asks her to be his trophy again. Jenny gives him a slap in the face, and the crowd laughs. Unfazed, Chad says that he will be Scott easily this time. He has nitrous now, and asks Scott if he has a system of his own. Scott answers no, but tells Chad he can use this anyway. The crowd gasps; they are surprised that Scott is being so confident. Jenny tells Scott to be careful and gives him a kiss goodbye.
Gary asks Shin about his Datsun, and Shin just tells him it has an inline 6. Gary laughs, bragging that he has almost double the cylinders and at least twice the displacement. Shin tells Gary that his 30-year-old Z has more recent technology than his Viper. The crowd laughs at Gary. Flustered, Gary decides to start the race. He outlines the course for Shin and Scott. This race will involve mostly freeway driving, to make use of the high power the Viper and Camaro have. The four drivers will leave the Cinemark, head east on I-10, turn south onto the Sam Houston Toll way, head southwest on Hwy 59, and come back to Katy on the Grand Parkway. Scott looks at Shin while Gary is outlining the rules. Shin looks back and smiles. Both of their cars are tuned for high speed driving, and will be right at home in this race. In addition, Shin’s car, “Zed,” has the ATTESA-PRO all-wheel-drive system grafted into the chassis. Chad and Gary are unaware of the power the old and new 240s are making and may have bitten off more than they can chew.
Instead of having a person start the race, Gary leads the way out of the parking lot and starts the race on I-10. Immediately, Shin loses boost and gets left behind. Gary laughs as he pulls away.
Scott wants to stay behind to help Shin, but he is busy with Chad. Chad doesn’t waste any time going to wide-open throttle to activate his nitrous. Scott doesn’t have a problem with Chad’s speed, but the amount of traffic makes it hard to keep up. Chad darts between cars, cutting other motorists off, but Scott is trying too hard to be courteous. He knows that there will be less traffic on the Toll way, and decides to catch up there.
Gary is already at Beltway 8. He arranged for the racers to have temporary paper tags placed over their license plates. Otherwise, their plates would be photographed, and they would receive fines in the mail for going though the EZ-Tag lane without a pass.
Shin is slowly catching up to Scott and Chad. His computer’s fuel setting was too rich, and he began to bog out. Now with the correct setting, he is blazing a trail down I-10.
With less traffic on Beltway 8, Scott is much more comfortable with racing Chad. He is still unsure about how fast he can really go with the S14. Scott is afraid that if he pushes too hard, he will exceed his limits and have an accident. Chad had only a slight lead now, but Scott wonders if he can hold his position after they merge onto HWY 59.
Gary is now merging onto HWY 59, going southwest. He didn’t think that winning would be so easy. The traffic slows him down a little, but he is still moving quickly.
Shin is on the Toll way, behind Scott and Chad. He is eating up the lead they have on him, but after entering HWY 59, an officer in a pursuit Mustang begins to follow him. Shin easily stays ahead, but wonders if the officer will call for additional cars or chopper backup.
Scott is right behind Chad as they enter the Grand Parkway. He thinks he can see Gary’s Viper in the distance. The feeder road of the Grand Parkway is curvy, and Scott is right at home there. He sees and opportunity to overtake Chad. At the intersections, the road widens on the inside for a few hundred feet. Scott fakes to the outside, fooling Chad into swerving there. This gives Scott the room to dive to the inside and pass at the intersection. Scott is ready to whoop in triumph when Shin calls on his walkie-talkie. Shin tells Scott that he is catching up, and he has company. He wants Scott to accelerate as far ahead as possible and try to somehow warn Gary. Chad watches in amazement as Scott downshifts and bolts away. He tries to keep up, but gets left behind.
Shin is worried about leading the officer back to the finish at the theater. If the officer found the crowd there, dozens could be arrested. Shin decides the only thing to do is to use his second boost setting and lose the officer. He activates the setting, and sees the boost gauge creep up. Shin is pinned back into his seat as his rear tires chirp at 85 mph. Soon, Shin is reaching over 100mph on the short straights, and sees Chad’s Camaro up ahead. He flashes his high beams to warn Chad. Chad sees the warning and accelerates hard. Shin easily passes him, and the officer catches up to Chad. Chad uses his nitrous to get ahead, and along with Shin, catches up to Scott and Gary.
Scott is catching up to Gary, and is flashing his high beams, trying to tell him to go faster. Gary ignores the warning, thinking that Scott wants to pass him. When Shin an Chad catch up with the Mustang close behind, Gary realizes what is happening and drives faster. Everyone accelerates, including Chad. He tries to use his nitrous again to get away, but his bottle is empty. With the Mustang on his bumper, and no chance to get away, Chad has no choice but to pull over. Scott watches in his rearview mirror as the officer stops Chad.
The race isn’t over yet. Scott lets Shin pass him so that he can have a shot at Gary. The trio passes FM 1093, entering the home stretch. Gary lets Shin get beside him, and at 80 mph, they punch it. Gary gets ahead initially, because Shin’s ATTESA-PRO system is at a disadvantage from a roll. Shin’s superior power kicks in, however, and he quickly reels Gary in. At the Kingsland Blvd. Intersection, Shin noses ahead. He begins to slow down for the overpass at the I-10 intersection. Gary doesn’t stop, however. He keeps accelerating, and passes Shin at the intersection. Gary forgets that the overpass is very steep. At over 90mph, he crests the intersection and goes airborne. Gary barely controls the skid after landing, and comes to a stop. He tries to drive to the finish, but his suspension is badly damaged. Shin speeds over to the parking lot for the win. A few seconds later, Scott arrives victorious. When the crowd asks about Chad, Scott explains that he was caught by a police officer. Shin asks for someone to call a wrecker for Gary.
Gary is still shocked that he lost to such an old car. He asks Shin what he was really running, and Shin explains that it really was just a 3-liter inline 6. Shin also tells Gary that his Z had a slight aerodynamic edge, since the Viper was an RT/10 roadster, rather than the sleeker GTS coupe. Gary admits that he was wrong for thinking he was the fastest in the area. He tells Shin that he must be the fastest, but Shin stops him. He was surprised that Gary hadn’t run into any of the other Viper owners, some of whom have cars that can run 9-seconds in the quarter mile. Shin explains that no matter how fast you are, there is always someone faster. He figures that he has already met someone faster than him. Shin points to Scott, off in the distance. He says that Scott is incredibly talented, and still hasn’t reached his prime yet.
Scott is with Jenny, celebrating. Jenny is glad that he returned safely, and proud that he won the race. Bryce approaches Scott, and asks if he can see Scott drive now that he has a more powerful car. Scott agrees, and Bryce follows him back onto the Grand Parkway, where Scott lays a long tire patch and leaves Bryce behind.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:55 PM   #30
WhiteBlur
AF Regular

didn't have enough time to read it all but it seems pretty dam good so far, seems like you know your stuff about hondas. I'll read the rest later

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Racing > Initial D