Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > XG Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What doo you think of Hyundai brakes?
Good 7 43.75%
Average 3 18.75%
Poor 3 18.75%
Hyundai is hiding a problem 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 10:30 AM   #1
larry_krasner
AF Newbie

Hyundai brakes

The rear brakes on my 2001 XG-300 went at *28,500* miles, not just the pads but also the rotors -- a $350 surprise. There was no warning of the wearing, just a slight rubbing noise I heard less than 40 miles before I brought the car in for inspection. I have always gotten 40,00-45,000 miles per set of brakes on my Fords and Chevys, so that really burned me.

The service desk at the dealer said it was *normal* for the rear brakes to go at around that mileage, even though I do almost all highway driving, not city bumper-to-bumper wear. He said the front brakes were "over 50%". He also said the car does *not* have the "chirping warning" most cars have. (Although some literature I picked up at another dealership said they do have the "chirpers.")

I brought the car back 2,000 miles later for its 30,000 mile maintenance program and then they said the front brakes were gone and need to be replaced, just pads not rotors. Another $150 surprise. When I asked how over 50% of the brakes could be worn in 2,000 miles, I couldn’t get a straight answer.

I think $500 for brake repairs for 3,00 miles indicates a problem with the design, parts and/or installation, but, of course, the dealer denies everything. Anyone out there have similar problems or knowledge of Hyundai brakes?

Thanks!
Old 02-13-2005, 02:54 AM   #2
mazdatech
AF Enthusiast

Re: Hyundai brakes

I can't confirm any of your complaints. But I do identify with you about your rear brakes wearing out prematurely before your front brakes.? And I also question the accuracy of the dealers inspection about 50% and 2-3000 miles later needing frt brakes??? But what can you do? The only thing I can reccomend is the squeky wheel gets the grease......Call HMA, hyundai motor america and complain. complete a game plan before you call them, they always want to make a happy customer base ....so use that against them.....good luck.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:40 PM   #3
PhlatulentPhreddy
AF Enthusiast

No Way Jose

The Stealer is yanking your crank. Take it to a reputable AAA service center and get the work done there. If the transmission falls apart - call hyundai and tell them to glue it back together again. Regular maintenance - best bet done yourself - second best by a mechanic you trust and from what I'm hearing that STEALER wouldn't inspire my trust. I just had the rear drums replaced on my 2000 Accent with 74,000 miles on it. He said the drums were shot but the brakes were still okay. I replaced front at about 44,000 and yes Hyundai brakes do have (disc) squeelers in them on the front of Accent. I can't imagine the XG with less amenities than my car. Come to think of it I can't think of any car with less amenities. It is an A to B car. If your front brakes were that bad that you needed new rotors you must have a loud sound system.

Phlatulent Phreddy's Rules to Live by When Dealing in a Dishonest World

1. Always assume you are getting your cranked yanked and sometimes it may even be a pleasant thing.

2. If you forget number 1 take pause to remember it before you sign your name to anything.

3. Car dealers will tell you ANYTHING to get you to commit to paying them big dollars. They have no interest in you as a person no matter how personable they may seem. It is show business. Some are better than others but there goal is to separate you from your wallet - don't forget that for a moment.

4. Find out via the web the price of parts etc. for whatever crap there telling you and find out the TSB (Transit Safety Board) on your car to see if it is covered by the famous 100,000 mile (hope you don't need it) warranty. A broken car is a broken car and is going to cost you beaucoup money if you are away and it breaks down - even if it is a minor prroblem.

5. Do your homework. Check the BBB and see what they have to say about the service department. I'm no gambling man but I'd bet a pound of some nice hydro that they aren't listed as better businesses in the community. But then again almost no car dealers are for the aforementioned reasons. Anyway - what was your problem. Hope this clears it up for you. Don't let them give you the SAP RAP.

Contact Hyundai and say a hundred Hail Mary's that you get a rep that is not an arsehole but I think one precludes the other if I'm not mistaken. Best of luck.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #4
ohmycar
AF Newbie

I also had the same problem with my breaks. The dealer told me that more than 50% of the pad was left but after 3000km I had to replace the pads!

More interestingly, after servicing the breaks, I now hear a loud clicking noise comming from the breaks which happens after the breaks get warm from the time you start driving. I hear this clicking noise when speed is less than 50km and the frequency of the clicks is linearly proportionaly to how fast the wheels rotate. Any ideas what might cause this noise? I appreciate any comments.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:21 PM   #5
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

This thread and poll are too old to be continued posting/voting in. Closed per AF Guidelines on old threads.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Hyundai > XG Series