Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
5.0MX5
AF Newbie

Swap 2001 engine into a 1998 PA

Yes there is a question, it's at the bottom.

I finally found my PA (base) last year. a 2001 with 70,295 miles. Over the past several months I did ALL the preventative maintenance required to have a trouble free car (well, as much as possible anyway) this was right down to changing the brake fluid. Last thing on the list was new rear shocks for the self leveling system. Got it done two weeks ago and on a 10 mile test drive it was great. Then while almost back home, two deer ran in front of the car and the resulting off road trip wiped out the engine cradle, pushed the engine into the fire wall and the car wound up on it's side.

Now, the engine and transmission are still good..

So, I bought another (same color) base PA, a 1998 with 135,000 miles and a bad engine.

The 98 has coolant in the intake an easy fix, however the '01 had a new improved intake, both gaskets changed, water pump, and all the other the other known gotcha items dealt with.

I've already pulled the '01 engine and I see the passenger side motor mount is different along with the fuel injector connectors along with a few other easily changed bits.

I'm debating taking the perhaps easier route of replacing the '98's upper/lower gaskets along with the intake and hope it's a good engine. However the '01 is lower mileage and very good.

QUESTION: Will the motor mount (passenger side) being different or the injector connectors being non-compatible be a huge issue? I can't tell 100% if the '01 block is drilled and tapped appropriately to accept the '98 mount.

Thanks for any help or suggestions!

Ron
5.0MX5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:40 AM   #2
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Re: Swap 2001 engine into a 1998 PA

Both years used the Series II engine, and I would be more concerned about the differences in the cradle instead of the engine. The '98 used a steel cradle in two sections, whereas the '01 probably had an aluminum cradle in a single weldment. I also recall that there may have been a hydraulic damper on the RH mount on some of those years and a plain rubber mount on others.

Another concern would be the PCM, and its compatibility with the transmission. The 4T60E used shift solenoids of different resistance across the years, and may have changed to a 4T65E by 2001.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Park Avenue