Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics
Buick Classics Discuss older classics here.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
Dapper Pen
AF Newbie

1950 Buick Special 6 Volt starting issue

Thank you for taking the time to read this and offer your thoughts (and payers). I just became the proud owner of a 1950 Buick Special model 41D. It ran great for a week and then nothing. The issue is there is no power going anywhere. This is what I have done.
I put new break lights and a new head light. After I had done that the car ran with no issues.
There was a Kill switch on the car that I thought might be the issue so I removed it. I took the battery and had it tested and it is good, less than a year old. I did continuity test on the negative cable and got a solid tone right away. The test on the positive cable took a few seconds and then I got a tone. I an new too using a meter to test with. I’m thinking of changing the positive cable out with a 2 gauge cable from Tracker Supply.
I am getting no power anywhere in the car not even the horn. Looking for what to test(and how to) test next. Should I replace the positive cable? Car still has the original(rebuilt) engine straight 8 with no aftermarket add ons. Any suggestions or help would be worderful.
Dapper Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:19 PM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 1950 Buick Special 6 Volt starting issue

Well track down the positive cable to its distribution point in the car, you should have a wiring diagram to avoid guesswork.
Old 01-20-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
Dapper Pen
AF Newbie

Re: 1950 Buick Special 6 Volt starting issue

I have the shop manual that goes with the car. It has diagrams that have helped. I’m going today to Get a set of ne cable both negative and positive.
Dapper Pen is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Buick > Buick Classics