Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:29 AM   #1
liya_leacree
AF Regular

what is the best way to get rid of fog?

Hello all,

i have to state again that i am a new driver.
I hate the driving in the rainning day. i hate the fogging windshield and mirror.

What are your ways to solve that? Open a/c? any other ways?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Re: what is the best way to get rid of fog?

Make sure the inside of your windshield is CLEAN. If it's even a bit dirty, it will really fog up fast.
In the winter I use the "DEFOG or DEFROST" function in my heater controls.
I've had the windshield fog in Hawaii in June during a cloudburst and had to use the airconditioner PLUS the heater defog (very high humidity).
In Washington state, oftimes it tries to fog on the outside of the windshield so I just use the wipers.
In one of my sportscars, the defroster is so poor I just use a clean rag to wipe it down.
Howz things in Chengdu? Heard you guys had a BIG earthquake awhile back. Or am I thinking of someplace else?
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:33 AM   #3
liya_leacree
AF Regular

Talking Re: what is the best way to get rid of fog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lotus View Post
Make sure the inside of your windshield is CLEAN. If it's even a bit dirty, it will really fog up fast.
In the winter I use the "DEFOG or DEFROST" function in my heater controls.
I've had the windshield fog in Hawaii in June during a cloudburst and had to use the airconditioner PLUS the heater defog (very high humidity).
In Washington state, oftimes it tries to fog on the outside of the windshield so I just use the wipers.
In one of my sportscars, the defroster is so poor I just use a clean rag to wipe it down.
Howz things in Chengdu? Heard you guys had a BIG earthquake awhile back. Or am I thinking of someplace else?
Thanks. I never check my windshield from inside. I will clean it this evening.
It seems that my car have no such heater control. Every time, i open A/C with cold wind to get rid of fog. Unluckily, it is so cold, now it is autumn.
And i also found the car window up, then mirriors cannot be used, because the side window is fogging. It makes me crazy when it is raining.Should i buy defog liquit and put it on the mirror?

Chengdu is quiet now. The biggest one occured at Wenchuan nearly Chengdu in 2008, and the second one was in Yaan city, two hours driving away from Chengdu in 2013. Nowadays, everything already comes back from earthquack. And Chengdu develops very fast.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:09 PM   #4
Black Lotus
AF Regular

Clean your side windows too. If that doesn't work, keep a towel ready to wipe it down.
If you have any water leaks into the car, the moisture evaporating off that may fog the windows.
If you have any leaks in the heater system (heater core, hoses) it will put an oily film from the coolant onto the glass and it will fog easier. But a coolant leak from the heater core, etc., inside the car will have an icky sweet smell.

You really should have a heater that functions. Unless you live in Malaysia or some such place, where you couldn't possibly need it!

In the U.S., heaters-and by extension--the defrosters, used to be optional equipment up thru 1967. -you had to pay extra for it in some cars- (Just wear a coat, gloves and hat!)
In 1968, the U.S. federal government made it a mandatory requirement for all new cars. Not to keep the occupants warm and happy--but as a safety device to clear the windshield of ice, and fog.
Black Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Black Lotus For This Useful Post:
liya_leacree (09-22-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 09:09 PM   #5
liya_leacree
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Lotus View Post
Clean your side windows too. If that doesn't work, keep a towel ready to wipe it down.
If you have any water leaks into the car, the moisture evaporating off that may fog the windows.
If you have any leaks in the heater system (heater core, hoses) it will put an oily film from the coolant onto the glass and it will fog easier. But a coolant leak from the heater core, etc., inside the car will have an icky sweet smell.

You really should have a heater that functions. Unless you live in Malaysia or some such place, where you couldn't possibly need it!

In the U.S., heaters-and by extension--the defrosters, used to be optional equipment up thru 1967. -you had to pay extra for it in some cars- (Just wear a coat, gloves and hat!)
In 1968, the U.S. federal government made it a mandatory requirement for all new cars. Not to keep the occupants warm and happy--but as a safety device to clear the windshield of ice, and fog.
Many thanks. Very clear, my car has a heater indeed, but i never try it. In the winter, it can be useful, yes, for safe driving. i will check all things above as you said. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2015, 03:05 AM   #6
Teslafans
AF Newbie

cool ,good idea?
Teslafans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:01 PM   #7
liya_leacree
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teslafans View Post
cool ,good idea?
Hi, guy, what is your main job? products?
Old 10-29-2015, 06:27 AM   #8
AutoLightPros
AF Newbie

As a precaution, ensure a safe driving by installing highly-efficient and powerful fog lights and try to maintain a regular windshield and mirror cleaning program. However, addressing to your specific query, you should lower down the inside temperature of the car to ensure that the moisture stops to condense on the glass. Additionally, you can open the windows or defrost the vent without heat, which can dissipate the fog very fast. I always try to keep the windshield and mirror clean that helps to prevent the accumulation of fog on a further note.
AutoLightPros is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
day , driving , fogging , rainning
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General