Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 08:50 PM   #1
trek8000rider
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to trek8000rider
what motor oil to use

I have 97,000+ miles on my '98 Aurora. While waiting to change my oil at the local Valvoline quick lub the manager suggested I use their "Max Life" oil which he said is specially formulated for vehicles with 75,000+ miles. He mentioned that this oil is formulated with additives that lubricate and extend the life of the various seals and gaskets inside of the engine. There was an upcharge for this oil...is it worth it? I know that Valvoline, Quaker State, Penzoil and others all make this type of oil. Should I use this oil at my 100,000 mile oil change?
trek8000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:18 PM   #2
treeboy38
AF Enthusiast

I believe Max Life had additional "lubrication" properties, so I'd say go for it. Try one oil change with it. If you like the result, then stick with it. If you are not happy then go back to whatever you currently use.

you might want to ask the guys over here and get their opinions on the matter. I thinks the guys over there must eat/sleep and/or live on oil.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:34 PM   #3
ugsrich
AF Regular

I've been using the Penzoil older engine offering for last 3 oil changes. It has been working fine and I've noticed that the very very minor leak I once had have ceased.
ugsrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:38 PM   #4
trek8000rider
AF Newbie

Re: what motor oil to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by treeboy38
I believe Max Life had additional "lubrication" properties, so I'd say go for it. Try one oil change with it. If you like the result, then stick with it. If you are not happy then go back to whatever you currently use.

you might want to ask the guys over here and get their opinions on the matter. I thinks the guys over there must eat/sleep and/or live on oil.
Thanks for the input...I will check theoildrop web site
Old 01-18-2005, 09:42 PM   #5
trek8000rider
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugsrich
I've been using the Penzoil older engine offering for last 3 oil changes. It has been working fine and I've noticed that the very very minor leak I once had have ceased.
Thanks for the info about your minor leak ceasing after switching to the 75,000+ mileage oil. I too, have a very minor leak and I will be interested to see if I can obtain the same results.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:47 PM   #6
treeboy38
AF Enthusiast

Here is the front of that site.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Good luck in researching your answer.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
Sweet William
AF Regular

My feeling is that these new, extended miles oils are not going to do much more than any good oil.
This is one of those topics that everyone has an opinon on. My father has used plain old Valvoline since I was a kid. He changes it every 2,500 hundred miles (he's anal about it) and has never had an oil related motor failure. The vehicle falls apart around the engine.
I like the engineered qaulities of synthetic oil. The NorthStar is known for having oil leaks, and the Mobil One does not help. I'll live with it.
I have seen the inside of a couple of motors that ran nothing but Penzoil, and were the crustiest, burnt up mess on the inside of the valve covers, the bottom side of the intake and the valley I have ever seen. Some people swear by the stuff.
Remember, the NorthStar is a hot running motor, and heat is hard on everything. Oil is the motor's defense. You will get good service from any qaulity oil that is the correct grade (and amount) for your motor. Just change it often and use a good filter with it.
Sweet William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #8
ugsrich
AF Regular

I tend to agree with you regarding using good oil. I have always used Penzoil so I continue to do so. I change when the DIC tells me to which for my driving habbits and routes is at about 4500 miles. Something tells me there's really not much to the extended life stuff. But for reasons I can not explain (I'm just a goofy irrational human being) I decided to try the Penzoil extended life stuff. I had a couple of very very very minor oil leaks which have gone away. Don't ask me why or how. I do believe that it corelates directly to my change to the higher-mileage stuff.
ugsrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
trek8000rider
AF Newbie

Re: Re: what motor oil to use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet William
My feeling is that these new, extended miles oils are not going to do much more than any good oil.
This is one of those topics that everyone has an opinon on. My father has used plain old Valvoline since I was a kid. He changes it every 2,500 hundred miles (he's anal about it) and has never had an oil related motor failure. The vehicle falls apart around the engine.
I like the engineered qaulities of synthetic oil. The NorthStar is known for having oil leaks, and the Mobil One does not help. I'll live with it.
I have seen the inside of a couple of motors that ran nothing but Penzoil, and were the crustiest, burnt up mess on the inside of the valve covers, the bottom side of the intake and the valley I have ever seen. Some people swear by the stuff.
Remember, the NorthStar is a hot running motor, and heat is hard on everything. Oil is the motor's defense. You will get good service from any qaulity oil that is the correct grade (and amount) for your motor. Just change it often and use a good filter with it.
Thanks for the input...I noticed you mentioned that you use a synthetic oil Mobil One. How many miles do you drive between oil changes? I have herd that you can extend the mileage between oil changes with the synthetic oils.
Old 01-28-2005, 09:44 PM   #10
Sweet William
AF Regular

I run Mobil1 in one car and Royal Purple in the other. Usually I change it around 4,500 to 5,000 miles.
Sweet William is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Oldsmobile > Aurora