Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 05:08 AM   #1
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Need Advice on headlights

My '99 Tahoe headlights are terrible dim-- either faded or just not bright enough. I'd like to be able to see, especially in really dark wet weather. I'd entertain aftermarket lens/bulbs or kits. So what do you all recommend? The wife really hates to drive it after dark as well. I doubt just installing high powered bulbs will do it, but maybe it will, what are your experiences?
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:23 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: Need Advice on headlights

Dumb question here, but is it caused by clouded lamp lenses, that's all you see in Fl. Lol
Old 02-06-2018, 02:21 AM   #3
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Yes, I'm sure a lot of it is due to cloudy lenses. Is there a good cleaner method for that?
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:03 AM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Old 02-06-2018, 12:32 PM   #5
Schurkey
AF Enthusiast

First Three Things to repair crappy headlight brightness:

Check the plastic lenses, repair as needed. There's plenty of threads, and there's aftermarket "kits" to sand, polish, and coat the old plastic lenses. There's also a fair aftermarket (cheap Chinese) selection of "New" headlight assemblies although quality varies greatly.

Adding relays that will boost voltage to the bulbs can make a H-U-G-E difference, especially if you modify the system to keep the low-beams lit when the high-beams are selected. The downside is that you are very likely to get TOO MUCH voltage (above 13.2V) if you're not careful. Voltage higher than 13.2 will shorten the life of the headlights. 5--6% increase in voltage above 13.2 can result in 20% brighter filaments, but reduces the lifespan of the bulbs by half.

Check voltage at the headlight bulbs with the engine running and the bulbs lit: Ideally you want between 12.8 and 13.2 volts. You will probably find that there's less than 12 volts--11.x is common.

I thought I posted a long write-up on this forum about adding relays to these C-K trucks, but I don't see it. I'll have to fix that someday soon.

Aim the headlights properly so that they're not blinding oncoming traffic, but light the road appropriately. Almost nobody ever aligns the headlights, but ANY change in the ride-height of the vehicle including a chunky driver will affect where the headlights are pointed.
For the good of the Free World, DEMAND COMPENSATION FROM CHINA for their release of the Virus Originating in the Wuhan Laboratory, released (intentionally or negligently) into the world in 2019 (VOWL-19). Ten trillion to start with, increasing as needed from there, PLUS compensation for the sickened, and "wrongful death" settlements for the families of those who didn't survive. END trade with Communist China.
Schurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

[quote=brcidd;7207830]My '99 Tahoe headlights are terrible dim-- either faded or just not bright enough. I'd like to be able to see, especially in really dark wet weather. I'd entertain aftermarket lens/bulbs or kits. So what do you all recommend? The wife really hates to drive it after dark as well. I doubt just installing high powered bulbs will do it, but maybe it will, what are your experiences? [quote]

************* I was thinking of buying these as well as the DRL https://www.amazon.com/Passenger-Hea...ype=automotive
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Avalanche | C&K | Silverado | Suburban | Tahoe > C/K