Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 03:53 PM   #1
Macdaddy4738
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Macdaddy4738
top will not go up.

I drove my car home from school today with the top down....get home and leave it for like an hour...

i get ready to leave and want to take the top up and it doesnt budge...it just sits there. No motor sound, nothing. The motor does sound when i flip the switch up, but it doesnt go up at all...whats the deal here?!

Its completely locked in place, i cannot pull it for fear of breaking it...
Macdaddy4738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #2
Lawlor
AF Newbie

Re: top will not go up.

my 95 sebring has a sunroof.. and the sunroof is doin the same thing and i cant figure it out either, i think th emotors dead
Lawlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 10:45 AM   #3
vabock
AF Newbie

Top problems

I have the same problem with my top. The top will not work at all. The switch is not getting any power. I hot wired the motor and it still works, but will not work normally with the switch. I also noticed that the trunk button in the console stoped working at the same time. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the electronic control Module. I was told that everything electrical goes through this module. Any ideas would be appreciated.
vabock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:47 AM   #4
Macdaddy4738
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Macdaddy4738
Re: Top problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by vabock
I have the same problem with my top. The top will not work at all. The switch is not getting any power. I hot wired the motor and it still works, but will not work normally with the switch. I also noticed that the trunk button in the console stoped working at the same time. I have a feeling that it has something to do with the electronic control Module. I was told that everything electrical goes through this module. Any ideas would be appreciated.
hm...sounds like my problem as the trunk switch went out also...

we now have to manually lift the top and it takes 3 people to do it.
Macdaddy4738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
troseberry
AF Newbie

Hey, I am having a similar issue with our 95 lx. Top went down. left top down for maybe an hour and a half at most and when we tried to put it back up, nothing. The only difference I can tell from what you all have posted is that our trunk button is still working... at least for the time being. Were any of you all ever able to get this figured out and resolved? Let me know.

Thanks,
Tim
troseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
fiction_less
AF Newbie

ok listen up guys... my car was doing the same thing when i bought it. The top went down fine but would not come back up. I didnt hear anything from the motor when trying to put the top up. I did some research and decided to take out the back seat and check the motor to see if it needs oil. the motor is under the deadener behind the back part of the back seat. removing the seat is a little tricky.. i found the easiest way was to put the top down and stand in the back on the floor... put your knees against the front of the bottom part of the seat and apply pressure with them pushing towards the back of the car. At the same time slip your fingers under the front of the seat on either side of your knees and lift... it should pop up... it may take some force... dont be afraid of breaking it as long as your putting pressure on the front. then there are 2 bolts that hold the seat in and hold the seatbelt latches... remove these and then lift the seat upward and it should just pop right off. this really doesnt take long it took me only 25 mins to fix the problem. once you have the backseat out pull up the deadener pad and the pump will be in the center of the car. it is held on with rubber body nubs. simply pull it up and pop all of them out.. then with the top all the way down(VERY IMPORTANT) remove the rubber stopper (be careful it is under pressure most times and can really pop off) in the left side of the pump with it tilted with the stopper on top as much as possible... there is not much play in the lines.. be sure to be gentle you dont want to break any of those... they will run you about $100 or more alone. use a flashlight to try to see the oil level. it should be about a 1/4 of an inch from the top. if it needs fluid you will need regular (not synthetic if you can help it because it is thinner and will leak quicker if you have a leak) ATF+4 transmission fluid and a filler bottle preferably with a straw spout so you can suck some out too if you over fill it (easy to do because you cant see the level while filling it).

(with the top RETRACTED)Once you have it filled to the proper level (over filling can blow your seals) you can then put the fill plug back in and put the pump back on the car.. to do this by placing an allen wrench that is the same size as the whole in the center of the rubber body nubs in the center hole and pressing them back into the body holes they came from just until you hear them pop in..DO NOT PUSH ALLEN WRENCH ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE RUBBER.. THIS WILL TEAR THE RUBBER AND THEY WONT HOLD THE PUMP WELL. the next thing you can do then is have someone else put the top up and down...( the first few times the motor will make some loud noises... this is normal) look for leaks when the top is being put up around all the lines and at the base of the drive piston on either side. if there are any leaks around a connection you can try to tighten them. if it is around a piston you can either replace it or wait and see what it does for a week or two...(if you do this.. put the top down and up often.. this will re-lubricate and swell the seals around the piston) This is what i did because the reason it leaked was because the old lady that owned the car b4 me never put the top down and the seals dried up so when i tried to use it all the oil came out around the piston. put it all back together the way you took it apart and your done. as for the trunk button have someone push it with the trunk open and the latch cover removed and listen to it carefully to see if you hear anything. if so try lubing the latch and all moving parts first with some pb blaster or wd-40 then once it is moving put some white lithium grease on it. if no noise at all and it still releases with the key fob button then you have an electrical problem most likely with the switch itself or the wiring. BEST OF LUCK TO YOU ALL I HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL!!!
SINCERELY,
FICTION_LESS
feel free to email me with any other questions my email is fiction_less@yahoo.com
I currently own a 2002 sebring convertible lxi debadged and upgraded in many ways.. i have had my car and several other years and models torn down numerous times with different problems... im practically a guru now..
fiction_less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
sparkie1225
AF Newbie

Smile Re: top will not go up.

The top is very hard to put up manually but it will go if two guys one on each side pull hard enough. You are not only lifting the top, but turning the motor without power. I did mine today and it goes up with enough force. you will hear motor turn as it goes up. Mine is a 2006 Sebring.
sparkie1225 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chrysler > Sebring | Sebring Coupe | Convertible