Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 01:09 PM   #1
voodoodoc2
AF Newbie

Focus Trunk Lock Problems

I've done some researching and apparently this is just another example of Ford screwing up the Focus. So added to the HUGE list of stuff that goes bad and sucks more of my money down the drain, the trunk WILL NOT OPEN. The lock just stopped functioning, the remote, key and inside release will not do work. No its not frozen. I had to take the back seats out (mine is a 4 door sedan) just to get in to the trunk. That was no easiy task that's for sure becuase they are not made to be removed that way, but who ever had the dumb Idea not to put a seat relase inside the cabin was a real jackass, thanks Ford. Besised the fact that the seat is held in by a bunch of bolts you can't get to part of the stupid hinge is inside the crappy plastic molding.

So does anyone know how to get the lock to open from inside the trunk (the only good thing about the focus is there is plenty of room in the trunk to crawl in there and work) I don't see anway of removing the lock assembly from inside the truck and Ive tried and tried to force where the metal hook goes around the metal bar (Im not a locksmith don't know technical terms)
voodoodoc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 03:30 PM   #2
wad5150
AF Newbie

Has anyone figured thi sout? I'm having the same problem. Course I don't even know how to get the seat out.
wad5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
nilskje
AF Newbie

Quite common

Hi have had the same problem: You have to replace the whole trunk lock latch unit, and move the keylockcylinder to the new unit. The "thing" ia made partly from plastic so it tends to fall apart... Price parts est:115usd
nilskje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 01:49 PM   #4
rivguy
AF Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to rivguy
Re: Focus Trunk Lock Problems

these are cronic problems - the whole unit needs to be repalced so simply smash it appar and poof the trunk opens - good luck cleaning the mess of plastic up after the lid opens
Old 08-19-2004, 08:34 PM   #5
joshandlauri
AF Newbie

i had the inside switch not work the switch was bad.
joshandlauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
stacey0678
AF Newbie

Thumbs up Re: Focus Trunk Lock Problems

Thank you! You took the words right out of my mouth! This car sucks! I think this truck problem should be a recall! I drilled out my lock last night and the stupid truck still will not open. I am on try 10 of ways to get it open! I hope that you fixed your problem. Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoodoc2
I've done some researching and apparently this is just another example of Ford screwing up the Focus. So added to the HUGE list of stuff that goes bad and sucks more of my money down the drain, the trunk WILL NOT OPEN. The lock just stopped functioning, the remote, key and inside release will not do work. No its not frozen. I had to take the back seats out (mine is a 4 door sedan) just to get in to the trunk. That was no easiy task that's for sure becuase they are not made to be removed that way, but who ever had the dumb Idea not to put a seat relase inside the cabin was a real jackass, thanks Ford. Besised the fact that the seat is held in by a bunch of bolts you can't get to part of the stupid hinge is inside the crappy plastic molding.

So does anyone know how to get the lock to open from inside the trunk (the only good thing about the focus is there is plenty of room in the trunk to crawl in there and work) I don't see anway of removing the lock assembly from inside the truck and Ive tried and tried to force where the metal hook goes around the metal bar (Im not a locksmith don't know technical terms)
stacey0678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 11:42 PM   #7
hip2wiseup
AF Newbie

I had the same problem as everyone else today. Now I get to tell you how I managed to brake into this trunk. Not knowing much about the lock assembly I try to use the key to unlock and also tried the trunk switch and could also hear it trying to work. The problem I found out later after I already had the trunk open was the whole lock assembly is made of plastic and probably just whore out. It's a cheap made part. one of the post I read said you could just punch out the whole lock. I did not use this tactic but it might work and might be easier than what I did.
Hear is how I got into this trunk. After trying to get one of the back seats to swing down I found that getting to the lever that unlocks the seat was difficult. Being on the passerger side I found a side cover plate that runs along the seat belt. I pried that cover off. It did take some force and the cover was slightly damaged, but not to the extent that anyone would know once you put it back together. Once I had the cover off I could stick my hand thru a little opening and found the cable that goes to the back seat latch. I pulled on this cable to the left as I was facing the back end of vehicle and was able to get the seat to unlatch. Once I could get into the back end of the trunk I could grab the lever to the other side of the seat and was able to get that seat down. Now I have plenty of room to get around. I then took a screw driver and pried the lever on the trunk latch and it open right up. After inspection I found the lock assemble defective and replaced it. I hope this helps someone.
hip2wiseup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 04:07 PM   #8
paulr1025
AF Newbie

Pulling the seatbelt cover off worked!!!
We were able to finally retreive our long lost vacuum and other household items from our move 3 months ago!

Thanks hip for the suggestion!

Peace
paulr1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
VaBeacher
AF Newbie

Re: Quite common

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilskje
Hi have had the same problem: You have to replace the whole trunk lock latch unit, and move the keylockcylinder to the new unit. The "thing" ia made partly from plastic so it tends to fall apart... Price parts est:115usd
I got hold of a used mechanism, which seems to work when I plug it into my car, but I can't figure out how to switch our the lock cylinder. The mechanism has a plastic and metal side, looks like it should come apart but it doesn't seem to.

My old trunk latch only opens with the key, I don't want to lose that ability if it ever dies again.
VaBeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
ramgab06
AF Newbie

I've taken the seatbelt cover off as noted above but am not sure where the cable to the back seat latch is (or which opening I'm supposed to stick my hand through).

Can anyone help that has already tried this method?

Thanks
ramgab06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:41 AM   #11
fuming focus
AF Newbie

Question Re: Focus Trunk Lock Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramgab06
I've taken the seatbelt cover off as noted above but am not sure where the cable to the back seat latch is (or which opening I'm supposed to stick my hand through).

Can anyone help that has already tried this method?

Thanks
I have the cover off as well. I the hole towards the back of the car and the seatbelt or towards the front of the seatbelt and the front of the car. Anyone no?
fuming focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:31 AM   #12
itskeiser
AF Newbie

The top hole is the one you want-stick your hand thru(about up to your elbow) and feel along the back of the seat-you should come across the latch.This part is tricky(and a lil painful) use your finger to pry the latch(its like a claw,just pull on the closest piece) and the seat should unlatch,giving you access to the trunk
itskeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 PM   #13
PainInTheFocus
AF Newbie

First of all, thank you very much to all of you for the info. I tried it and it worked. Now, I suggest that after you take the seatbelt top cover off, stick your hand not from the top hole, but from the side...this way you don't get your arm as scratched and cut (believe me, I tried both). Once you feel the cable which is usually wrapped in a layer of foam, I suggest you follow it towards the back seat, and as mentioned by someone else on the blog, try to find the plastic latch which you then pull and voila, your seat will be released.
One thing that seemed to make matters easier was to bend the cardboard backing of the back seat. This will give you more space to wiggle your arm around.
So, I've gotten that far...how I'm gonna get the trunk open is the next little project...
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.
PainInTheFocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 10:56 PM   #14
Austin_Driver
AF Newbie

Thanks for the advice on removing that plastic part by the seatbelt - it took a bit (an hour) of manevuering with a long-handled broom but we were able to get the seats down. Good thing, too, because my parents had just borrowed the car to buy christmas gifts for the grandkids and they all were locked in the trunk (the gifts, not the grandkids). I have been happy with the Focus during the 10 years I've had it and have driven it all over including repeated trips to Mexico. But ten years may be the limit.
Austin_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
henwid
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Focus Trunk Lock Problems

Yes! Pulled the passenger side plastic seatbelt cover off (broke it...oops!) and bent back the cardboard trunk liner on the lower hole next to the seat. I could now see the release knob at the rear of the trunk (follow the foam covered cable), which pulls to the rear of the vehicle. I couldn't get my arm in, but with the scraper blade end of a snow brush poked through the hole next to the seat I was able to catch the back end of the release knob and push it rear-ward and then 'click' the seat released. I released the other seat and then crawled back and was able to get my finger into the down facing trunk latch opening and slide the black plastic thingy sideways and release the trunk. Now to get a new trunk latch (or lube/fix the old one) so that it works without all this hassle again! Thanks Automotive Forums!
henwid is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Focus | C Max