Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:52 PM   #46
Scope240
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Scope240
Alright,
Just an opinion, but everybody at the site has a favor for either the SR or the KA, so pretty much everyone is giving you there opinion, there just trying to help you, but i wouldnt souly base everything you do of us. YOUR car not ours. We are just saying what we would do to our cars.
Like i would take the KA over the SR, but thats me, someone else is gonna take the SR over the KA, just a none stop thing.
Scope240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 08:56 PM   #47
Hit_N_Run-player
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Hit_N_Run-player
Re: KA24DE questions

for a very long time it was SR>KA....
now its starting to become KA-t>SR. Its all personal preference and what you want to do with the car (powerband wise)..

Horsepower sells cars,
Torque wins races!
Hit_N_Run-player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:13 PM   #48
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

I say compresssion test. Good? Cool. Boost, tune, and ride.

1992 Nissan 240sx KA24DE-Turbo: The Showcar
Stock internals. Daily driven.
12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
nissanfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 09:39 PM   #49
Pavlo
AF Enthusiast

/\ I agree with that 100%. It doesn't really mater much about the milage, I mean I would not turbo a 300000 mile engine, but if your engine has good compression, was well maintained and was driven without abuse then the engine is definitely good for turbo. I would of course freshen the engine up before turboing by changing the plugs, dis cap, rotor, wires and coil, maybe water pump if current has higher milage. Then you can safely run ~10psi, I would recomend under 8 for daily driving though.
nissanfanatic- your sig rules!
Old 04-27-2005, 10:23 PM   #50
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

Send a message via ICQ to nissanfanatic Send a message via AIM to nissanfanatic Send a message via MSN to nissanfanatic Send a message via Yahoo to nissanfanatic

Actually I did do some rather spirited drivng before I turboed. Acutally, I'm not gonna lie. I drove the hell out of my car.lol I raced it damn near daily from day one. Just kept up on oil changes and matinence along with only buying mobil 1 synthetic. And now look, almost 20k later(18k no boost with lots of racing, 2k boosted at 6psi with prolly a boost a day) and at 136k, my compression is still 180 across all four. Shit the engine Ivan made 404whp on was a 114,000mile bone stock engine.

And you know what? Built engines pop damn near as easy as stockers if your tuning is equally sloppy on either.

Lol thanks Pavlo.

ZOLTAN!

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 04-27-2005, 11:18 PM   #51
240SXSlideStar
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_N_Run-player
for a very long time it was SR>KA....
now its starting to become KA-t>SR. Its all personal preference and what you want to do with the car (powerband wise)..

I think everyone agress they are both great engines, but KA-T is growing in popularity because people don't feel like swapping an engine when they got a perfectly good one already in the engine bay, I'm sure they'd all be happy with an SR if they had a Silvia.

JDM Racing Motors inc
Montreal, Canada
www.jdmracingmotors.com
240SXSlideStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:21 PM   #52
D-Bo
AF Enthusiast

its all about how picky you are. look at minor details cause they're both great in different respects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVteC_PoWeR
to me when i really look at it hondas just too expensive and theres not much power even after you spend loads of money...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/dbo240

***LOOKING FOR A COUPE, ENGINE IS NOT AN ISSUE***
D-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 02:16 AM   #53
orestes
AF Fanatic

well certain things piss me off about wanting to do the KA because it would end up at so much power i know and i know at least my clutch would have to go for a new one, and then still deal with the timing chain cliking and shit. but i really would rather have the 5 speed in the Silvia because of how the gearing works out. That and the rear end gears from a 1.5 way LSD that i need anyways make a big difference in powerband, feel of the car etc. and that seems like the SR wins in that category. But hey the KA is a whole .4 L bigger so how can you argue with that. i think another argument that can take you one way or the other is the head design/valvetrain with KA>SR even with the intake manifold the same.

"I got that hustle in my genes like high blood pressure" -E-40
orestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:42 AM   #54
D-Bo
AF Enthusiast

also consider the fact that the ka block is iron and the sr is aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by iVteC_PoWeR
to me when i really look at it hondas just too expensive and theres not much power even after you spend loads of money...

http://www.cardomain.com/id/dbo240

***LOOKING FOR A COUPE, ENGINE IS NOT AN ISSUE***
D-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #55
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

I can't see a stock SR20 clutch lasting out much longer than a stock KA clutch. If you were smart, before you were to KA-T or swap an SR, you would replace the clutch while the engine is out period. I did on mine even though the OEM replacement was only like 10k old. Def time to be replaced though.lol

The KA has a pretty good powerband if you ask me. Even with my late spooler.

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 04-28-2005, 11:46 AM   #56
orestes
AF Fanatic

yeah but who was it mysimo i think that was talking about 1st takes you to 37, 2nd takes youto like 65 (MPH) and i shift out of first at like 25 in the KA i think. and the thing about the SR for me is i would just swap it in there and not go too crazy maybe get like 225 at the wheels, i think the stock clutch could handle that, whereas if i went KA i would want it to be more HP. but i guess i would be happy with a boosted KA w/ 225 at the wheels too but its too tempting to go crazy with it.

"I got that hustle in my genes like high blood pressure" -E-40
orestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:33 PM   #57
iVteC_PoWeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to iVteC_PoWeR
ok thanks for all of the info. ive seen various prices on engine internals so im wondering approximately how much would it cost to rebuild the KA? name the separate parts and prices please
iVteC_PoWeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:36 PM   #58
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

It would depend on approximately what you plan to do/what you plan to use for parts/if you plan to do the work yourself.

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi
Old 05-02-2005, 10:54 PM   #59
iVteC_PoWeR
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to iVteC_PoWeR
Also, doesn't the turbo kits come with some parts needed to rebuild anways such as the injectors, fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and some other. So with that in mind is it ok to just get the turbo kit without any extra parts? Again I'm not looking for huge amounts of boost right now so maybe I can settle for 10lbs at most for now.
iVteC_PoWeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 12:05 AM   #60
nissanfanatic
240SX Guy

I woudln't call fuel pump, injectors or such rebuild parts. Those are considered upgrades. For 10psi depending on the turbo, you should probably at least do a SAFC, 300zx mafs, and 400cc+injectors. I'd go with 550cc personally. Adn definately upgrade the fuel pump no matter what.

12.6@122mph
496whp/436wtq at 25psi

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX