Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 10:15 PM   #1
bpopilek
AF Newbie

83 300SD Wont Shut Off!

I have been working on and off on my 83 300SD over the past 3 months. What I thought would be a quick job of replacing the head gasket turned out to be a pain in the butt! The problem I am currently having is at least not a major one. I just finally got the car back together this evening and cranked it over for the first time. I was amamzed when after a few turns of the key, it started and stayed running. I let the car run for about 15-20 min and then turned the key off. The problem I am facing is that the car's engine stayed running. I had to push the throttle linkage under the hood to the stop position to get it to shut off. The only thing I am not 100% about is whether my vaccum lines are hooked up right, and I wonder if this could be my problem? Does anyone have a good diagram of the vaccum lines or can someone take a picture of their car for me. Thanks!

-Brian
bpopilek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
j_hef
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to j_hef
Re: 83 300SD Wont Shut Off!

Hi Brian, Glad to hear its alive again!

It might be a good idea to invest in a Mityvac vacuum tester, csearch www.harborfreight.com for them.
Make sure you don't have any unhooked lines first- then from the main split off the thick line to the brake booster, look for the two brown vac lines. One will be going in through the firewall, the other coming back out the firewall to the shutoff valve at the rear of the injection pump. If those are ok, feel free to IM me on the aol thingy and I can talk you through your diagnosis a little quicker.

What did you find eventually on your tight timing chain issue? I have a 617 head off right now and want to be sure I don't do what you did
j_hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
SUMOBOY
AF Regular

Most of the time, these old diesels run on because of a vacuum leak or a misconnection. Another way to look for a vacuum leak is to take a big hit off a stogie and blow the smoke into the vac system. If you see smoke anywhere but your mouth, theres the leak. The ignition tumbler has a port on the back of it that's for vacuum with 2 metal nipples. Make sure the hoses are still connected there. If the doors still lock and unlock again after sitting overnight, then the vacuum problem is probably close to the vacuum pump, as the door lock system is also vacuum controlled.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
j_hef
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to j_hef

Youre close, on a 123 you'd be correct but he has a 126. They have a seperate pump for the door locks. Interesting about the smoke, but what if your leak was in a door? You'd need to smoke a LOT or get a smoke machine to pump it in to find a leak in there...
j_hef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:31 AM   #5
podunk
AF Regular

I am so glad that you got it running again what was that tight chain issue?
Vaccume Issues;
Although it sounds unorthodox, the smoke method is very effective.
I have the 82 300 SD, it has just 1 vaccume pump for the entire car.
podunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
bpopilek
AF Newbie

Well, I know that I do not have the vaccum system hooked up correctly on this car. The original hoses were all cracking and so I had to buy new hose. Problem is that I of course didn't pay too good of attention to how they hooked up before I removed them. My car has a 2nd pump for the door lock system and that is working fine. I have one vaccum line that is not connected to anything, and I doubt that the rest is hooked up properly. The car will start, run, and drive fine. The only thing is that I look like a retard each time I have to get out, pop the hood, and kill the motor! If someone could send me a proper diagram or even take a few pics of how their lines are connected on their car, I'd be very gratefull!!!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:00 PM   #7
LANDO10101
AF Newbie

Lightbulb Shut Off

Is This Still A Prob.??!!##
If You Do Have A Vacuum Line Hooked To The Top Rear Of Your Injection Pump--unhook It While The Car Is On And See If There Is Any Change In Your Idle Qaulity((valve May Be Sticking)
Next Take A Section Of Vacuum Hose And Hook It Up To The Now Exposed Knipple On The Rear Of The Pump And Suck Just Enough To Activate The Valve..if This Kills It You Now Know Where Your Prob. Is.
Good Luck And Let Me Know How It Goes..
LANDO10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 06:38 PM   #8
bpopilek
AF Newbie

Re: Shut Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by LANDO10101
Is This Still A Prob.??!!##
If You Do Have A Vacuum Line Hooked To The Top Rear Of Your Injection Pump--unhook It While The Car Is On And See If There Is Any Change In Your Idle Qaulity((valve May Be Sticking)
Next Take A Section Of Vacuum Hose And Hook It Up To The Now Exposed Knipple On The Rear Of The Pump And Suck Just Enough To Activate The Valve..if This Kills It You Now Know Where Your Prob. Is.
Good Luck And Let Me Know How It Goes..
I finally got a chance to try this today. When I unhook the line from the injection pump it has suction coming from the pump. When I try to blow into it or suck on it, nothing happens. The idle of the car seems to remain the same with and without the line attached. I know I still have at least one of the plastic vaccum lines not attached. And I am not sure if any of the others are hooked up in the correct spots. I have looked all over for a diagram showing the proper connection of the lines and all I can find is multiple variations for hooking them up, not one definate one. Any additional help is appreciated! Thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 08:12 PM   #9
bpopilek
AF Newbie

Ok, what I thought was the injection pump was actually the vaccum pump. I fiddle with the rest of the vaccum lines and get no change in engile idle or performace. I am getting suction from the vaccum pump when the engine is running. Where is the vaccum line hook into the injection pump at? I have tried blowing and sucking on all the the small vaccum lines with no result. Where do I find the shutoff valve at? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2005, 10:27 PM   #10
bpopilek
AF Newbie

YEAH!!!! I finally figured it out! The hose was missing on the shut off valve. Once I looked up a picture of it on the web and was able to find it, I sucked on the newely attached hose and the car shut off. Then I figured out which hose it attaches to and now my car shuts down by the key. Thanks for all the help!!!
Old 10-26-2005, 12:15 AM   #11
Rosemary Carter
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpopilek
YEAH!!!! I finally figured it out! The hose was missing on the shut off valve. Once I looked up a picture of it on the web and was able to find it, I sucked on the newely attached hose and the car shut off. Then I figured out which hose it attaches to and now my car shuts down by the key. Thanks for all the help!!!

81 300sd won't stop. No vacuum at tranny. Really need a diagram of vacuum system in total. Can anyone give an address for one?
Rosemary Carter is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion