Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-03-2002, 10:07 PM   #1
StillenSE96
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to StillenSE96
Skyline GTR Vs. SLK32AMG

I am having an argument with a friend of mine about cars. He loves anything with the Benz name on it and refusing to think anything else matters. I said to him, u know i would take a Skyline GTR over any benz any day( he is refering to the SLK32AMG). So we argured about them, so i take it to you guys, what do u think Skyline or SLK32AMG?
Please provide some #'s if u have em
StillenSE96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 01:12 PM   #2
Mr_Root
AF Regular

Both are great cars and both are totally different machines you just can't compare! I like them both but I would go for the Skyline also because there're plenty of SLK's driving around (I even spotted the AMG version once) but to own a Skyline is something awesome and unique.
Imagine the reaction:
SLK - Hmmm nice car
Skyline - Whoooaaaa! Can I touch it?! I will not wash my hand for the next year!

Mr_Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2002, 04:26 PM   #3
Tom_S8
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Tom_S8
Damn what is he thinking? I'm sorry but this benz is a damn fast car but it lacks soul and a good suspension (stiffer...). And a stick trans. And engine sound. And a bmw emblem... ... merc wants to change company image but it won't come that fast... Anyway maybe i'll get flamed for that but i think SLK is a girls car. And i see mostly women driving SLKs. Ever seen a women a skyline? Damn i have seen only one skyline in my life... no , no two of them , one in Hong Kong and one in London , but this one in London it was quite far away and going rather fast but i spotted him , i don't know who was driving...
Tom_S8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 01:56 PM   #4
AEstud
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to AEstud Send a message via AIM to AEstud
Skyline- high 12's
SLK- mid 13's

I like the SLK body style better tho:bandit:
AEstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2002, 09:39 PM   #5
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche
Well, the Skyline (R34) wins hands down here, It is a "Whoa can I tocuh your car, I will not wash my hand for a year" car. I tihnk it looks really good and would smoke an SLK32 anyday, mind you the SLK is a good car. The Skyline is a GREAT car though.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2002, 05:56 PM   #6
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

Tom_S8 is right, the SLK has never really been the involving drive it should have been, a little spongy.One thing i must disagree on is it needing a BMW badge!!!BMW are going rapidly downhill, especially after the joke of a new 7 series and its reliability problems. You should be loyal to Audi, not their main rivals!! BTW i had the oppurtunity to have a good look at an S8 at an auction, and i gotta say you are damn lucky to own one.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:32 AM   #7
Purpura Delujo
AF Enthusiast

HOLD ON! Did I jsut see someone say they would take a Skyline over any Benz? Mate you need a reality check! Renntech SL 7.4 584Bhp, 0-60mph 4 seconds flat (factory claims). CLKGTR, I dont even need to explain that one! CLK55, no introduction needed! the list goes on of Benzss that would waste a Skyline, I'm saying this because you said "over any Benz any day". IMO its a pretty bad comparison in the begining! a 2 door convertible sportscar against a 2 door coupe "supercar". 1963 Benz SEL300 6.3, 300Hp, 0-100kmp/h in 6 seconds, and thats a 60s luxury heavy arse car with RWD and no engine assistance (turbo/blown)
Purpura Delujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 01:11 PM   #8
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

actually i would take a Skyline GT-R over any Mercedes bar the CLK-GTR. Something alot of people dont realise on here is that straight line speed is one of the worst indicators of performance.
Old 12-12-2002, 05:15 PM   #9
Purpura Delujo
AF Enthusiast

I know straight line speed isn't everything, but are you saying a CLKGTR has bad handling, have you driven one? All we can base that off is what the testdrives say about it, and I think for that type of car it would have pretty damn good handling. Straight line speed isn't one of the worse indicators of performance, I would call performance being blown away by a cars ability to brake, handle, acceleration, speed etc You can't say pure acceleration isn't a good sign of performance.

"One day i will have my R34,just like this one, only mine will be over 1000bhp" And what are you planing to do with that much HP, I would say...STRAIGHT LINE SPEED.

you don't need 1000Bhp for performance, you could get performance out of a set of hydraulics
Purpura Delujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2002, 05:21 PM   #10
tenzoracerevovii
AF Enthusiast

i dont see how you can even compare a clk-gtr to a skyline r34. just compare the freakin prices. the clk-gtr should win hands down in EVERY MOTHER FREAKIN CATEGORY for the price you'd have to pay for one. now let's say you had a skyline and spent as much money for the clk-gtr modifying it.......then that would be a different story......what would you do to your skyline w/ an extra $900,000+????

Don't you know, it's 10 hp for every sticker, 50 hp extra for every additional inch of rear spoiler behond stock height.
-obiewancoyote
tenzoracerevovii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 01:02 PM   #11
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

I didnt say a CLK-GTR has bad handling, it is my absolute favourite car, and i believe it is the best handling and fastest point to point road car in the world with the possible exceptions of the Porcshe 911 GT1 and Dauer 962. However the Skyline is my second favourite car, and it is an extremely quick car. You can have a fast straight line car (e.g the many monster horsepower cars in the US) but nearly none will be able to go round a corner well at all. Now there are many very big horsepower Skylines in Japan that can also handle well. And i would say 600-700 bhp is the most needed for a track car, ant more and it will require serious work to get it to handle.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:36 AM   #12
jallar
AF Newbie

I love the skyline, but you can't compare it to an MB. Look at the skyline. You don't say "whoa! that's truly a piece of art. look at those lines.." you say "whoa! that is a fast little f##ker! have you had it on the track?"

Me? If I could choose, I would have taken the Mercedes any day.
jallar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 10:06 AM   #13
av2
AF Newbie

You guys...The SLK32 is faster than the Skyline in terms of drag racing. R34 in stock form runs 13.7 sec in the 1/4 whereas the SLK32 runs high 12's. Two very different cars. As for the little "kid" that said he will take a Skyline over any Benz? You probably never own a Benz, and I am not surprised. Just to name a few: C32AMG, SLK32AMG, E55AMG (476hp), CLK55AMG, SL55AMG (500hp), S55 (500hp), S600 (500hp) all can cream the Skyline in the straights. Read a little about these cars before you make a comment like that.

Skyline is a great car no questions, but the "ricer" or racer image kill it for me. Why do you think Nissan did not bring it to the US? Who would pay $80K for a car like that? If I want a 1st class GT, I will take the M3 in stead. Keep the $30K in my bank account and wait for the EVO 8 to come.
av2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2003, 09:54 AM   #14
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

most of you dont understand the greatness of the GT-R. Its all very good having your S-class at nearly 500bhp, but you will never get it to 1000bhp as easily as you will a Skyline, and it will certainly never handle aswell. On the drag strip it will launch faster than any normal Mercedes with a few simple destrictive tuning steps. Any Mercedes is more refined than the GT-R, but only the CLK-GTR is as fast, and if you tune a Skyline, this can be changed. The Skyline is deserving of it's legendary status, it rewrote the rule books with its dominance. And remember the price you pay in the US is much higher than what you would pay elsewhere. If it were sold at the same price as it was elsewhere they would be everywhere. Even in Japan, when the Nur versions were released, all 1000 of them were sold on the first day, there is a reason for that. As a fast car, it is far superior to most cars on the road.
Old 02-05-2003, 11:04 PM   #15
op012503
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to op012503
these two cars are incomparable. Ill tell you guys the truth-i love them both. but if i had a choice between the two it would be the skyline. I think that its a question of what your into-with looks aside (both cars are beautiful) the skyline is a sports car enthusiasts dream where the MB is a beefed up version of a car that was originally intended for cruising areound top down. I mean common, the slk 32 amg doesnt even come with a manual transimission. If i were to be given a choice it would be the skyline, maybe because of the cars exclusive sports car heritage.
op012503 is offline   Reply With Quote