Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 02:57 PM   #1
AndrewR85
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to AndrewR85 Send a message via MSN to AndrewR85
Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

Well, if things don't go my way, I won't be getting my beloved FC3S RX-7 Turbo II. My next favored choices (in order) are the S14 240SX, BMW 3 Series, and Audi A4. I figure that for the price of an S14 SR20DET (plus the price of the install), I could get a turbo kit for the KA24. I realize that the KA24DE-T is more suited for drag racing, but I also like road racing (which the SR20DET would be the better engine). Needless to say, i'd be happy with either option. My question to you is, which of the two are more reliable? I have a feeling the answer will be the SR20, simply because it would be at factory specs (for now), but maybe i'm wrong. Any info and opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BTW: Just for the sake of information, my budget for my new car is $7500.
AndrewR85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:01 PM   #2
billclinton
AF Enthusiast

Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

sr20det is more reliable

NoLlieSkillz : its called

NoLlieSkillz : neutral drop at redline
billclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:10 PM   #3
billclinton
AF Enthusiast

If you are going to go turbo ka, which i recommend anyway, get the engine rebuild with stronger pistons and connecting rods, and get the greddy turbo kit. That is probaly the best kit i have ever seen, they also have an intercooler kit. MAKE SURE YOUR ENGINE IS UP TO THE TASK. Get it checked out or you WILL most likely be sorry. A rebuild would probaly be a good idea anywere near 100k miles which most 240sx' are getting near at this point. Thicker Head gasket, no more using shitty gas either. If the engine does go, they arent that expensive.

You wont be dissapointed with the results

NoLlieSkillz : its called

NoLlieSkillz : neutral drop at redline
billclinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #4
AndrewR85
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to AndrewR85 Send a message via MSN to AndrewR85

Ok, so the Greddy/Trust kit, plus rebuild with quality parts...how much do you estimate that to cost?
AndrewR85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 09:18 PM   #5
Bryants95240sx
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Bryants95240sx

the greddy kit the best youve ever seen ???hahahah try FMAX,Nsport,or realnissan kit
Old 04-06-2004, 10:10 PM   #6
publicenemy137
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to publicenemy137
Re: Re: Reliability of KA24DE-T vs. SR20DET?

Quote:
Originally Posted by billclinton
If you are going to go turbo ka, which i recommend anyway, get the engine rebuild with stronger pistons and connecting rods, and get the greddy turbo kit. That is probaly the best kit i have ever seen, they also have an intercooler kit. MAKE SURE YOUR ENGINE IS UP TO THE TASK. Get it checked out or you WILL most likely be sorry. A rebuild would probaly be a good idea anywere near 100k miles which most 240sx' are getting near at this point. Thicker Head gasket, no more using shitty gas either. If the engine does go, they arent that expensive.

You wont be dissapointed with the results
yea I'd like to rebuild my KA then turbo it (faster than sr20det) but it's goin to cost a shitload. How much will all this cost do you know?? Probably be a better thing just to buy a new SR20DET (found one at $1,800 @ 30k miles) and just use the rest of the money it would cost to rebuild a KA + greddy turbo to sup it up a lil bit.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:13 AM   #7
shohan
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to shohan

I'm not meaning to hi-jack the thread or get flamed, but I do have a question on something that I keep seeing that I don't understand.

People say the KA is more suited for drag because of the torque. This good for the launch and a good pull throughout the run. Now, they also say when comparing the KA with the SR that the SR is better for road and obviously drift racing because it rev higher. That is what I don't understand. Does the SR have a longer power band? I assume it has a higher redline as well. What is the overall benefit of having this "higher revving" engine?

Again, I'm not trying to get flamed. Thanks.

Shohn
shohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:22 AM   #8
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stealthj

people are stupid and say KA is better for drag or whatever

learn ur shits, and every motor is suited for all types of racing
Old 04-07-2004, 02:24 AM   #9
shohan
AF Newbie

I'm trying to learn my shit. I've been reading the boards. I see something that I don't understand what am I supposed do?

Obviously every motor is suited for all types of racing when built properly, but there will still be some better then others for what ever reason.
Old 04-07-2004, 03:48 AM   #10
Zanark
AF Enthusiast

slohan dont pay attention to that last post people around this board arent that helpfull, but to answer your question the Ka is better for drag because it has a longer stroke and is a bigger engine then the Sr20, when you drag race you dont stay in the High redline rpms that long so all that matters is raw power. The Ka is a 2.4 liter engine while the Sr20 is a 2.0 liter engine. The Red line in the Sr20 is 7 grand as for the KA 6 grand, the Sr20 can stay in the higher rpm band longer then the KA and substains less strain in doing so. also the torque comes in at a lower Rpm in the Ka compared to the Sr20 so it will have more pull but will let off around 5000 rpm. People love sr20's for drifting and auto racing mainly because you dont have to shift as much and like I mentioned before it can stay in that high red line longer. So think about it for a sec.... if the ka lets off at around 5rpm? how can you maintain a drift? easy answer is you cant thats why its not very efficient. For a normal persons needs the Ka is a very good engine and pulls like an American made car.
Zanark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 05:10 AM   #11
shohan
AF Newbie

Thanks Zanark! You answered my question completely and then some. I appreciate your help and I agree with you about the less helpful crowd here. I have read a multiple post asking serious question and then see replies of people laughing the person off the board. Thanks again.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 AM   #12
publicenemy137
AF Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to publicenemy137

^ yea it is kind of sad how some people behave here. Not everyone has the time or knowledge to know everything about 240sx's, no point in belittling them or putting them down.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:19 PM   #13
stealthj
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to stealthj

yeah your right
Old 04-07-2004, 08:10 PM   #14
alkemyst
AF Enthusiast

KA or SR is going to be a tossup.

Most SR's are more reliable *because* they were factory built. The KAT's with problems are usually bad builds or old engines with some idiot trying 15lbs of boost and poor tuning.

Either engine *built right* is equal, neither has enough torque advantage or weight savings to be more than splitting hairs. If everything is equal the KA should be a little more powerful due to .4 more liters (which is equal to about 17%).

For most people with newer engines KAT is cheaper (bolt on and go) for most people that will require a rebuilt first, buying an SR20DET is cheaper.

Of course the KAT will be *legal* in all but a few states, the SR not in any.

Å
alkemyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 10:52 PM   #15
Zanark
AF Enthusiast

Hey Alk just thought ide tell you the Sr20 is legal in all states depending on if the car passed emissions or not.
Zanark is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX