Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > 240SX | Silvia | 200SX(RWD) | Gazelle | 180SX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 05:55 PM   #16
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

Its diffucult.

I hear the S15 6-speed is made of glass, and it cant handle much power.
Some guys in Japan are swapping in S14 trannys and using the S14 driveshaft.

You guys should all take a look at my sig.

Also, S14 frotn ends for hatches do exist but it doesnt look too hot.
Check www.taka-kaira.co.jp

OR

www.santeca.com

These guys are the shiz, my friend works for them. They import East bear and have a Silvia project going on(w. SR20 and GT3037 Turbo(
Derek: Haha AF Sig Material
Dorikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2003, 11:39 PM   #17
NightXCZ77
Banned

Actually, I price the RB25DET clips at $3250. They put a good 250 to the wheels unlike the S15 SR which gets about 210-215 to the wheels. RB25 is also cheaper than a S15 and requires a lot less work to get in.

The RB engines have TONS of support here in the US for stock replacement parts. They also have a great amount of aftermarket support being offered by several companies in the US, and prices are very similar to the SR aftermarket prices, some parts are actually cheaper.

RB26 swap is fairly difficult if you keep the twin turbo setup. If you go RWD tranny (RB25) and single turbo, it's a fairly simple swap.

Night
http://240Skyline.nissanpower.com
NightXCZ77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 04:28 PM   #18
Sanchi
Macadamia Nut Cookies

Send a message via AIM to Sanchi
Installing a RB25 would still requare alota work to put in i assume since it still is larger the the SR20. And that would cost money as well alot more then the SR20, over all im guessing its alot more expensive. Ohh well i like the RB25 setup more, if i had the money thats what id do
Old 03-12-2003, 10:50 PM   #19
NightXCZ77
Banned

Alrighty, here's the lowdown on this swap:

$3250 RB25DET Clip
$400 - New Driveline
$150 - Parts, ie: fluids, filters, wires, crimps, etc...
--------
$3800 = 250 RWHP

$2250 RB20DET Clip
$0 - Uses KA driveline
$150 - Parts, ie: fluids, filters, wires, crimps, etc...
--------
$2400 = 205-210 RWHP

That's it guys. That's all the cost behind both swaps.

Night
Old 03-13-2003, 02:21 PM   #20
D Money1644
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to D Money1644
all right, so which engine (sr20 or rb25) is more modifiable? from everything i've heard, the sr is easier to find parts for but the rb responds much better to mods. supposedly the rb can be built to 500hp on stock internals with fairly simple mods; how difficult would it be for the sr to equal that?
-When in doubt, mumble; when in trouble, delegate.
-A bird in hand is safer than one overhead.
-Celibacy is not hereditary.
-Trying is the first step toward failure. (Homer Simpson)
-No one's life, liberty, or property are safe while the Legislature is in session.
-Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it.
-Never argue with a fool, people might not know the difference.
-A penny saved is not worth very much.
-Celibacy is a hands-on job. (think about it)
D Money1644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 03:27 PM   #21
Sanchi
Macadamia Nut Cookies

as far is i know the SR wasent built for mad power like the RB...

:sun: :flash:
Old 03-13-2003, 07:36 PM   #22
NightXCZ77
Banned

RB is easier to mod and get great results with. To get the SR to 500hp takes a lot of work. The RB's have a lot of parts available for them. You can get just about anything. 500hp is possible on stock internals.

Night
Old 03-13-2003, 10:01 PM   #23
slydar
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to slydar
i wouldnt worry about what model sr20 you get, id honestly go for a s14 one, simplest to fit, as far as power, the turbos are a little different(between s14 and s15, and even between older and newer s14), but youre better off spending the extra money on a front mount cooler and a big exhaust, than on trying to find an s15 clip . ive also heard the 6 speed is not the strongest, nothing specific though, so depenging on how far you wanna go, you may never have any trouble. fitting the rb25 will be alot harder, youll either need a plethora of o.e nissan mounts on hand, to see what MIGHT work, or custom ones, plus modifying the loom, custom heater hoses, radiator hoses.. depends if its all worth it to you, for a show car, it does have a bit more ooh ahh factor, cos its not ment to be there. a stock bottom end of a sr20 is regarded to be safe for slightly over 400ps, the rb around 450 or so. the rb will be more driveable though, capacity = torque (sorta). then theres weight bias, which will ofcourse be better with the sr, then again, up until just recently, the best drifter in australia drove an s13 with a 450ps rb20, and quite spectacularly his personal car now though is still an s13, but with an sr20 so..
slydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 10:11 PM   #24
NightXCZ77
Banned

Not trying to start a flame, but it sounds like you're trying to tell me how hard the RB swap is when I've already done it. Click on this: http://240Skyline.nissanpower.com That's my car, my install.

The RB25 is not hard to fit in the 240SX. You don't need any plethora of mounts, all you need is a R33 clip with the cross member and RB engine mounts to make it fit. There is no need to "modify" the loom as all you do is integrate 5 wires between the RB and KA harnesses unless you wanna go the hard way and integrate every wire in your car. Custom heater hoses aren't necessary, neither are radiator hoses. The RB25 bottem end can handle 500+ on stock internals. If you live in Australia, you should know that. One reason your judement on hp might be off is because of the dynos in australia, they tend to rate everything lower than they actually are. Take a RB25 in Japan or the US and dyno it, then the same one in Australia and you're probably looking at a good 25-30 hp rwhp difference between the two just from different dynos. This was told to me by Meggala who founded Meggala.com

Night
Old 03-13-2003, 10:20 PM   #25
slydar
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to slydar
fair enough, what about the tail shaft then? and the gearbox cross member, shifter location? clutch line? im not trying to start a flame war either, im just interested, ive also got a few friends with rb20s in s13s i was aware of the cross member swap option, but on bens silvia, that ment the tail shaft needed mods, and the shifter was further foward then stock. peace.
slydar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 01:58 AM   #26
Sanchi
Macadamia Nut Cookies

I have a question my buddy mentioned it to me and i did remember reading it some where about how the Skyline motors if used to swap with an left hand driven car it would have to be converted to a right hand drvin car. because of the way the motor is set up. you can only have it as a right hand driven car. ANy one ever heard of this or can show me some proof that it is okay to swap with out changing it to a right hand driven car. thankx all!!!

:sun: :flash:
Old 03-15-2003, 07:16 AM   #27
Dorikin
AF Fanatic

Thats not true....

SR's are right hand drive cars, and they come out fine...
Derek: Haha AF Sig Material
Dorikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2003, 09:22 AM   #28
D Money1644
AF Regular

and if you want proof that it's ok to stay left-side drive with skyline motors, just check out nightxcz77's site.
-No one's life, liberty, or property are safe while the Legislature is in session.
Old 03-15-2003, 11:34 AM   #29
Sanchi
Macadamia Nut Cookies

i think it had something to do with the location of the down pipe and how its on the other side or something and it cant cross over the tranny there for it has to be right hand driven. maby now there is a way to fix that but ill check out that sight. just that i remember reading some where many years ago about the swap and it had to be converted to right hand driven. well i went through that sight a hundred times and no where does it say anything about right hand driven or not, nor does the pix of his car help the windows are so dark that u cant see nothing at all inside. Anyone else have any proof that its okay to install the RB with out changeing it to right hand driven, just to make sure cause im sure it ok just some hard proof would be alot more reasuring thankx guys!! and it will shut my friend up
Old 03-22-2003, 12:19 PM   #30
D Money1644
AF Regular

well if that info can't be found on his site, how about we simply ask him. hey night, your car is still left-side-drive after the motor swap, right?