Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-06-2003, 09:57 AM   #16
av2
AF Newbie

Everyone has their personal preference on the two and that's cool. Most of us in the states rarely see a skyline on the streets. We have a couple of them in Rowland Hts imported by MotorRex. So, I can understand how it has become a dream car for many. In Japan, I feel it's a different story. For the week, I was there, I saw a few Skylines. A few GT-Rs, but most are based models. I also saw a few AMG Benzs there, which I am sure in Japan cost more than the GT-R. Having say all that, both cars are nice and targeted at different group of people.
av2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #17
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

This is a comparison of a luxury sports coupe (the slk) with what is considered in Japan to be Godzilla (that's the nickname of the skyline over there). This comparision has nothing in common. Yes, you could go aftermarket for both the mercedes and the nissan. In the end the GT-R would have more hp, and be more of an icon than the merc. Its also very tru that the CLKGTR is an INSANE car, hell it shouldn't even be called a car. But now your comparing a pure bred race car, to a production car. Oh, and don't forget about the price difference. Overall, IMHO i would get the skyline. Why you might ask? Because i live in the U.S., i've seen about 4 skylines in my lifetime, and they are the automotive icon of all the asian car companies. (i'm asian, and i would like to represent if you don't mind).
zyajzarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 11:57 AM   #18
gti1689
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to gti1689
I know that all of you have said that straight line performance isn't the best way to measure the overall abilities of a car, but I want to say that the benz is as fast and probably faster than the skyline.

Benz

0-60-4.8
quarter-13.2-13.5
faster from 1-100 than a corvette by about 2 to 3 seconds

Skyline (nur version that i read about in road and track when they said that it would be discontinued, rx-7 sprint is in the same article)

0-60-either 4.8 or 5.1
quarter-in road and track it said 14.2, but i think it is probably 13.6-13.9

now i'm not saying that i wouldn't take a skyline, but what i am saying is that one should give credit to the benz. Just becasue it is more common doesn't mean that it is a bad car. In fact, the benz also costs a lot less than a skyline, but i would take the skyline over the benz anyday becaue of its heritage and handling. i don't want to get flammed by those convinced that the skyline is the best car in the world becasue i agree that it is a great car.

Parting thought

Just one of the pretty engines in the stable.
gti1689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 12:11 PM   #19
gti1689
AF Enthusiast

sorry

Parting thought

If one had $80,000 they could buy an unwarrented skyline GT-R(motorex-us importer- might have a warrenty, but not sure) with 276 horepower and 276 lb of torque (many feel that the hp figure is closer to 300 or 320). Maybe they would buy a Dodge Viper (500 hp, 520 lb of torque) that can be bought for the same money and deliver better permformance, or maybe they will buy a Porsche 911 (320 hp, around 296 lb of torque). Some may even buy an M3 and spend the extra $30,000 on aftermarket parts to make it go faster than any stock skyline can go. Finally, maybe someone will buy a Mercedes SLK32 AMG and spend the extra $30-25, 000 on handling components because they want their benz to hande like the skyline. Even though the skyline is very rare it doesn't mean its the best car for the money, but if it were officially imported to the US i fel it would make more sense to buy one (dedicated dealer network, parts are easier to find , cheaper to find, etc.)

Old 03-24-2003, 06:27 PM   #20
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gti1689
f one had $80,000 they could buy an unwarrented skyline GT-R(motorex-us importer- might have a warrenty, but not sure) with 276 horepower and 276 lb of torque (many feel that the hp figure is closer to 300 or 320). Maybe they would buy a Dodge Viper (500 hp, 520 lb of torque) that can be bought for the same money and deliver better permformance, or maybe they will buy a Porsche 911 (320 hp, around 296 lb of torque).
It's not about how much car/price you getting. Hell, IMO the corvette Z06 is the best car/price (you get the most from what you paying). About 50k ish and you get a car that'll SMOKE a LOT of cars that are fixed up. But its a vette.... not a skyline. There's a difference. If i had that 80k, yes i would buy the skyline before a porsche or viper. I might get burned by a porsche, viper, or Z06, but it is my satisfaction of knowning that I own a rare mechanical beast (in the U.S.). Sure it might have only 270 (yea right.. more like 320) horsepower, but it also has ALTESSA-ETS (i think that's how you spell it) drivetrain controller, making the car either a 4wd or a Rwd. It's because of the small things i would by a skyline, plus.... i had 80k to blow on a skyline... i should have 50k to blow fixin it up.

Now, if you were too look outside the United States... i don't know if this is true... so people outside the US please enlighten me... the price of the benz (which is faster in the straight line) is slightly more than that of the skyline. So, going back to your car/price, the skyline is very competitive outside of the united states.

overall both are great cars.... I'LL TAKE BOTH ANY DAY!
Old 03-25-2003, 04:24 AM   #21
gti1689
AF Enthusiast

I also agree that the skyline is a great car and I would buy one if I had the money. In europe I would buy a skyline becasue of its avalability and competitive price, but until the R35 comes to America the car will alsways be at a disadvantage for people without the financial means. If you noticed I said that many people feel that the skyline has close to 300 or 320hp in my post.

Old 04-24-2003, 05:11 PM   #22
Blitzen
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Blitzen Send a message via Yahoo to Blitzen
Skyline all the way!

Lets see....

Awesome tuning potential
Great styling
4WD a bonus
Great stock performance
Excellent engineering features in the skyline - 50:50 weight balance, ATTESSA-ETS, Super HICAS Pro
Isnt no girly car like the SLK

Those who know the Evo 6 cannot explain. Those who don't know the Evo 6 cannot understand.
Blitzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 05:54 PM   #23
Heep
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to Heep Send a message via MSN to Heep
Quote:
Originally posted by av2
Skyline is a great car no questions, but the "ricer" or racer image kill it for me....Keep the $30K in my bank account and wait for the EVO 8 to come.
Skyline has too much of a ricer image and the Evo doesn't?

What it seems like everyone is forgetting (as often happens) is that performance (acceleration, speed, handling, braking, etc etc) is not the only aspect of a car. If I had a gazillion dollars than maybe I could spend $50k or $80k on one of these as a performance-only-drive-it-once-in-a-while car...but I don't have a gazillion dollars. I need the car to be livable, fun on the weekends, but able to drone along in traffic every morning and afternoon, go get the groceries, impress a girl I'm taking on a date (lumpy idles and rock hard suspension aren't typically their thing ). Having said that, I would appreciate a car that a. Has a warranty and dealers to service it, b. Won't kill my left foot on the drive to and from work every day, c. Convertible preferably, to enjoy the open air, d. nice stereo to cruise to, plus many more. Therefore, the Benz is more my type of everyday car.

Old 08-05-2003, 05:05 AM   #24
myellowslk
AF Newbie

Cool take them both

i would take them both. they are different cars. i would use the amg 32 as a daily driver and the r34 as a weekend racer. yep both great cars. i own a slk myself and i would never give it up for a rice rocket for a daily driver. and with a little supension set up the slk handles very well.
myellowslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 08:27 PM   #25
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

myyellowslk.. please don't called the skyline a "rice rocket". It is just as good of a "rocked" as the AMG... just w/o the rice. It is the epitome of japanese sports car enginnering, as is the AMG for german small roadsters. (IMO the SL is NOT a small roadster, and the M roadster doesn't even compare with the SLK32 AMG).

Quote:
cheap. reliable, or high performance -- pick 2, that's all you get.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:20 AM   #26
myellowslk
AF Newbie

rice rocket

zyajzarc

your right about the skyline being a rice rocket. let me re state that i would consider the skyline in the japanese supercar. But what are you talking when you put in the stuff about the M roadster and the SL?
myellowslk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:47 PM   #27
zyajzarc
AF Enthusiast

i was saying that the SLK32 AMG is THE BEST small roadster out there. The BMW "equivalent" M roadster doesn't seriously compare to the AMG in all factors (handling, speed, acceleration, etc). And Mercedes' other roadster the SL class is not considered a SMALL roadster, but rather as a LARGE roadster. Therefore, the SLK32 AMG is the best small roadster money can buy, in my opinion.

Quote:
cheap. reliable, or high performance -- pick 2, that's all you get.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:48 AM   #28
masood
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to masood Send a message via AIM to masood Send a message via MSN to masood Send a message via Yahoo to masood
Re: Skyline GTR Vs. SLK32AMG

i would take the AMG. looks good, faster than the stock skyline. most important, checks know that it's a M.B
masood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2004, 06:33 PM   #29
Orkinman
AF Newbie

I think I might be able contribute here. My uncle was visiting my family this past summer. He brought his SL55 AMG. (The most amazing car I've ever had the privilege of driving) After driving it I was bragging to all my friends. One of my friends was not buying the whole "Best Car Ever" and proceded to bring up his brother's Skyline. After an argument that lasted all night I was able to line up a race between the two. My uncle would not let me drive but said if I really wanted him to he would drive it against the Skyline. I can't speak to the quality of the Skyline or it's driver, but the SL55 beat it soundly. Now the price tag on the SL55 AMG is alot more than the Skyline, assuming the 80,000 I saw earlier was correct for the Skyline. But if this is an argument of MB vs. Nissan, I'd have to bring up the SLR. Can't beat it.
Orkinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 06:34 AM   #30
Pennzoil GT-R
AF Enthusiast

Re: Skyline GTR Vs. SLK32AMG

god this is an old thread

to answer the original question now, i will still say if pure performace is what you are looking for the skyline is the car for you. AMG's have big power certainly, and with $$$ the RB26 can be made untouchable (Mercedes cant find a gearbox strong enough at the moment). That is before we even start on the handling of the 2 tonne barge's with AMG badges on the back

All that said, i doubt many people REALLY buy a Mercedes for its performance, and i doubt many buy a Skyline for its luxury and prestige