Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:04 PM   #1
Ducaire
AF Regular

Question Do motercycles get good gas milage?

I'm not talking about the Harleys or anything overpowered like that, but do the smaller-engined, affordable bikes get good gas milage? (I've heard they get around 40 mpg) (I know this is a car/truck forum, not really a motorcycle forum...)
Ducaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 07:51 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Do motercycles get good gas milage?

They get excellent mileage. Most mid size and larger bikes get 40-60 mpg, depending on how they are ridden. The little 4 stroke bikes and scooters, 50-125cc or so approach 100 mpg.
MagicRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 10:00 PM   #3
Ducaire
AF Regular

Alright!
But I have another question. Is it true that the insurance will eat you up when you own one?
Ducaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 04:31 PM   #4
jcsaleen
AF Fanatic

Re: Re: Do motercycles get good gas milage?

Not true at all I have friends who pay half of what most 4 cylinder car owners pay. I'am looking at a CBR600 RR right now over an Rx7 due to gas & Insurance reasons.
" ~ Igor
jcsaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:14 AM   #5
indyboom
AF Newbie

oh ya.. for sure on that one
Old 01-15-2006, 06:18 PM   #6
nick bamberger
AF Newbie

Great gas mileage, Cheap to buy, Low Insurance, yeah. They are a lot cheaper than a car in every way. Now life insurance is a different story.. lol
nick bamberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #7
G-man422
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to G-man422

^^ true dat.
G-man422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
TransFukinAm
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to TransFukinAm Send a message via MSN to TransFukinAm

Wow... you must not know much...
Just playying man, but yeah, Motorcycles are cheeper just about everywhere, just dont let your life inssurance company knwo you drive one >.<
TransFukinAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 12:07 AM   #9
arif_moin
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducaire
I'm not talking about the Harleys or anything overpowered like that, but do the smaller-engined, affordable bikes get good gas milage? (I've heard they get around 40 mpg) (I know this is a car/truck forum, not really a motorcycle forum...)
The British and Indian made bikes are more comfortable than their Japanese Counterparts and look ALOT better but they give u around 35 kilometer per liter on highways and 30kmpl on cities. The Japanese bikes ((the mainstay y ones) give you 60 kmpl on highways and 45-50 kmpl on cities. But the comfort blows goats and they're flimsy as hell...

If u're considering a bike, I'd seriously recommend the Royal Enfield 500 cc or the 350 cc. I feel they're the best value for money.
arif_moin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
cody_e
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to cody_e Send a message via MSN to cody_e Send a message via Yahoo to cody_e

Insurance will kill you if you get a crotch rocket. I've heard it's 2x a 4 cylinder if you are young.
cody_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #11
DealsGap
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducaire
I'm not talking about the Harleys or anything overpowered like that
Harley's aren't fast, don't let all that noise fool you. In fact, they're absolute bottom of the barrel when it comes to performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsaleen
I'am looking at a CBR600 RR right now over an Rx7 due to gas & Insurance reasons.
Since this sounds like your first bike, it may be worth checking out the sticky in the motorcycles forum about bike selection. Also, many people will tell you that only having a motorcycle for transportation is a nightmare, especially a sportbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_moin
The Japanese bikes ((the mainstay y ones) give you 60 kmpl on highways and 45-50 kmpl on cities. But the comfort blows goats and they're flimsy as hell...
There are bikes of every genre from Japan just as there are from other countries. Honda makes everything from race replica bikes to touring bikes like Goldwings. If a Goldwing isn't comfortable, nothing is.

Japanese quality and reliability is the benchmark in the motorcycle world. I don't know where you got the idea that they are anything less than exceptional, but it contradicts everything I've ever seen in the motorcycle world.
DealsGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:18 AM   #12
arif_moin
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DealsGap
There are bikes of every genre from Japan just as there are from other countries. Honda makes everything from race replica bikes to touring bikes like Goldwings. If a Goldwing isn't comfortable, nothing is.

Japanese quality and reliability is the benchmark in the motorcycle world. I don't know where you got the idea that they are anything less than exceptional, but it contradicts everything I've ever seen in the motorcycle world.
I'm never rid the Goldwing. And second, I was talking about your "mass" motorbike like the Karizma, Splendour etc (by Honda). I can only comment on what I've ridden. I have yet to see a bike which can take on the hills and bad roads as good as a Royal Enfield...
arif_moin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 10:48 PM   #13
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

As all the others have stated motorcycles do get great gas mileage.

Sounds like someone has something against Harleys. Harleys don't sounds like they do to make you think their fast, it's because they are two cylinders and other bikes have copies or share a similiar design.

There are Harleys out there that will smoke any sportbike on s straight track. I have and ride both sport bikes and Harleys. Nothing is more fun on a twisty than a sprt bike.

I can't stand brand snobs. They make the rest of the motorcycle enthusiest look like a#@holes too.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
DealsGap
AF Regular

Being a twin has nothing to do with the volume level. Ever heard a stock Ducati run? They pur like a kitten, and those twins are actually performance engines, unlike anything Harley has sold in the last hundred years or so. Harley has a genius marketing strategy though, because they're making the same bike today they did back in 1920 and it's still selling like hotcakes. This is because they're selling an image, not a motorcycle. If it weren't for that image they would have either gone out of business or been forced to update their motorcycle to a modern day standard by now. Because there are certainly motorcycles out there that are lightyears ahead in every category that don't sell as well as the old HD.

I'm glad you've decided to label me a brand snob and an asshole for stating factual information. But hey, at least we have one thing in common - I don't like assholes either.

Last edited by DealsGap; 06-17-2006 at 05:18 PM.
DealsGap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #15
J Rainey
AF Enthusiast

DealsGap

The rediculus loud Harleys are due the people putting on straight pipes and other pipes to make them loud. I have two HD's and it pisses me off that these guys who ride the same brand as me ruin it for the rest of us. Stock pipes on a HD are smooth and quiet which is why most people immediatly change them. I have to admit I changed mine too, but you wont hear many complaints about the noise.

Please don't take offense to being called a snob and an A Hole. I also ride multi brands.

Jason

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Other Cars