Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A
Car Buying Q & A Ask a question, get an answer; it's that simple. Visit AutomotiveHelper.com for useful car buying tools and research. Also, check out Vehicle History Reports to help you avoid chances of finding a lemon.
View Poll Results: Which require less maintenance, best in value, most reliable cars in North America?
American -any comment? 1 7.14%
Japanese - any comment? 11 78.57%
German - any comment? 2 14.29%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 10:31 PM   #1
vwjetta96
AF Newbie

Unhappy German vs Japanese vs American struggle what to buy

Hi everyone,
Im a german car enthusiast and I own a 1996 vw jetta gl with 104 000miles. Im trying to sell it for approx $4900 cdn because even though I love it it gives me a great deal of problems. I just consider myself unlucky and try not to blame the make.
As I was reading reviews, I know that some german cars are assembled in Mexico and those have many electrical problems etc. I know the body of Japanese cars are not the best. I know that American cars have many flaws.

So now im stuck because I don't know what to buy for apprx $5000. If I was in Europe, I'd probably buy another VW. But I don't know what kind of vehicle would be there for me without too much problems for like 2 more years.

Can anyone suggest cars to me, what to buy, with the minimum age and mileage?

I know this sounds kinda corny but im losing my mind here. I was looking at older hondas & toyotas that got the very best reviews (older because thats all i can afford rite now).(Don't want to be picky but they don't have the nicest bodies) But how would they compare to i.e a newer 2001 Chevrolet Cavalier? I know, I know hondas are better, but I have to consider the money now in terms of insurance and parts. I would like a problem free car for at least 2 years.

Any suggestion please?
All is appreciated, thank you very much!
Old 01-20-2006, 12:35 AM   #2
drdisque
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to drdisque
Re: German vs Japanese vs American struggle what to buy

threads like these are generally frowned upon as this subject has been beaten to death.
2011 Mazda2 Touring

Past cars:
2007 Mazda 6S 5-door MT
1999 Ford Taurus SE Duratec
Old 01-20-2006, 06:16 PM   #3
vwjetta96
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
threads like these are generally frowned upon as this subject has been beaten to death.
I understand and know that too, but when I have money problems and ppl try to take advantage of that, I thought maybe some other ppl who have a little time and not frustrated by this topic could help me. If I had more money, even $10 000 then I would not need any help, because I'd know exactly what kind of car to buy. I'd know the right age, mileage etc. I was just asking for suggestions because I have half of that money.
I apologize to everyone who is frustrated by this topic and lots of thanks to those who wouldn't mind sharing their opinion one last time and help me.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdisque
We'll be fine so long as this thread avoids psuedo-patriotic chest thumping.

This thread is simply about which is the best used car.

IMO no car can be judged on worth based on its nation of origin.

For example, no one would say Suzuki comes anywhere close to Toyota's quality, even though both are 'Japanese', based on last year's JD Power initial quality survey.

IMO pick some models that you like and do some research.
WWW.carsurvey.org is a good place to start.

Also, when you get down into the $5000 range (older cars), the mileage, maitenance history and condition of any individual car is as important (if not more) than the brand.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:56 PM   #5
vwjetta96
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicRat
We'll be fine so long as this thread avoids psuedo-patriotic chest thumping.
This thread is simply about which is the best used car.
IMO no car can be judged on worth based on its nation of origin.
For example, no one would say Suzuki comes anywhere close to Toyota's quality, even though both are 'Japanese', based on last year's JD Power initial quality survey.
IMO pick some models that you like and do some research.
WWW.carsurvey.org is a good place to start.
Also, when you get down into the $5000 range (older cars), the mileage, maitenance history and condition of any individual car is as important (if not more) than the brand.
Thank you very much for your help, and when you put it that way, I see your point, I shouldn't put that much attention on the brand once the car is old. I guess I was just unlucky before and Im just worried that I do the same mistake with my very last money. Now that I think about it I always was a fan of german cars yet my 1996 VW has more problems than my sisters 1992 Geo Tracker...
So thank you!
Old 01-20-2006, 10:01 PM   #6
Chad82
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chad82

Is that $5k US or $5k CAN? Assuming it is $5k CAN (or about $4k US) I would say go with jap.
Old 01-21-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Schister66
AF -Advisor

Send a message via AIM to Schister66 Send a message via MSN to Schister66

Honestly i'm partial to Japanese Import cars...i have a 99 GSR and i couldn't be happier. Honestly if i had to pick from the three choices you gave, i'd pick the Japanese car, then the German (just because of the price otherwise Jap and German would be a tossup), then finally the American car. I wouldn not ever get a Cavalier....ever. I don't like them personally and i'm not really impressed w/ domestic attempts to put cars into the sport compact (or just compact car) market. The only exception is the SRT4.....

For $5000 USD, i would get a 6th Gen Civic EX coupe...i used to have one and it was a good car with a huge aftermarket following for parts. You can make that car whatever you want....fast, nice looking, etc....

I owned a 97 Civic EX coupe and eventually upgraded to a 99 Integra GSR...i'm really pleased w/ Honda/Acura so i tend to recommend them!
Old 01-22-2006, 05:59 PM   #8
shinkutat
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to shinkutat

Check out the 240SX. I bought my 1990 240SX in June, and it has been wonderful. It had 278,000 km on it then, it has 292,000 km on it now, and it's still running strong. Very, very little rust, passed cert. test and e-test no problem. I paid $3000 CAD.

Check out the reviews at carsurvey.org... you'll see.
Old 01-22-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
vwjetta96
AF Newbie

Thank you all for the inputs. Looks like Japanese cars are leading! Ill definitely look into all the suggestions!
Old 01-22-2006, 11:14 PM   #10
harrymay
AF Regular

in the price range you are looking at, the older domestics arent worth a damn, now its closer, but a car from 10 years ago had nothing on the japanese cars.

german, i would stick away from, hell even the new jetta are a POS, i test drove a new GLI and couldnt get it in reverse

your best bet would be jap, honda toyo or nissan. i have owned several older imports and have been very impressed by their reliability and quality over time.

Mooninites Unite! Quad Laser!!!
Old 01-24-2006, 08:55 PM   #11
Chad82
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Chad82

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrymay
in the price range you are looking at, the older domestics arent worth a damn, now its closer, but a car from 10 years ago had nothing on the japanese cars.

german, i would stick away from, hell even the new jetta are a POS, i test drove a new GLI and couldnt get it in reverse

your best bet would be jap, honda toyo or nissan. i have owned several older imports and have been very impressed by their reliability and quality over time.
A single car from a country does not mean to stay away from the entire country, just that car. Germany continues to make some of the best cars out there. I would buy and drive a 10 year old BMW far before its equivalent Japanese car. The problem is BMW has industry setting depreciation rates, so you would need to get older cars, so instead of that 10 year old BMW, you would need a 15 year old one to fall in teh same price range. There are other great german options, though. I have always been partial to Audis, and so long as you don't get one with electrical problems (was prevalent back in the day) they can be great cars (and for a much cheaper price than BMW).
Old 01-24-2006, 11:12 PM   #12
DinanM3_S2
Scuderia Kimi

You really shouldn't look at cars just in terms of German, Japanese, and American. Within each country, each company has different stregnths and weaknesses. There are massive differences between Toyota and Mitsubishi in terms of quality and reliability. I wouldn't trust any Mitsubishi product, while Toyotas are regarded as some of the best commuter vehicles on the planet. A 90's VW might have many electrical flaws, while a 90's BMW is nearly flawless. Looking at just the country of origin won't help you very much when you are buying cars, you are much better off looking at the company, and better yet, the specific cars themselves. Not all Japanese cars are reliable, not all American cars are unreliable, and not all German cars are expensive. These stereotypes will only hinder the car buying process.

"I collect walnuts"
-Kimi Raikkonen on his hobbies outside of F1
Old 02-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #13
vwjetta96
AF Newbie

Thank you all for all the input, I appreciate all opinions. I considered them all and now I have a much better way to look at the car I will be buying!
Thanks again!!
Old 08-16-2006, 03:42 AM   #14
stamar
AF Regular

im a pizza delivery guy and ive worked with pizza delivery guys for years. so I see cars differently, I see them in dollars per mile. so gas mileage and reliability and outset cost are the three factors involved.

All of these mean japanese only. lol wouldnt touch anything else unless it was free, I drove it to death and never changed the oil and abandoned it.

vw people ok, they are a different breed. They are on their car and are familiar with all the parts that break down. Ive had 2 vws mind you. They have their positive atributes, but not reliability, and i ould not trust the used market on them. I assume a vw for sale is fuxored and the previous owner knows it.

I prefer the japanese cars that are not popular.

A toyota corrola is great, a honda civic is great but they are also inflated.

too many people look throught the used car papers looking for a honda civic and a toyota truck

The person I knew who knew best said nissan sentra only.

He would also get say a nissan pulsar or similar. Another sore by the metro but saw them as closer to discardible because they ere so cheap to buy.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #15
ST12
Banned

German cars in general are good.
The Japanese though may have a leg up in quality.
stt,
Just my opinion.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Buying Q & A