Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35 Excellent platform and the good ol' VQ30DE and VQ35DE engines.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 10:13 PM   #271
10.5sec92AWDTALON
AF Enthusiast

Re: Cars I RAPED!!!

here's the list:
Corbeau Seats - 45 lbs
Lighter rim/tire combo replaced stock - 32 lbs (320 lb chassis) -ricer math
Remove back seat - 30 lbs
Remove spare - 28lbs
Lightweight battery - 20 lbs
CF hood - 17 lbs
Added aftermarket ypipe - 15lbs
Bose speakers - 12 lbs
Stock seat belts - 12 lbs
Floor mats - 9 lbs
Replace stock manifold with Cattman headers - 9 lbs
Kenwood receiver - 8 lbs
Aftermarket catback - 7 lbs
Gutting trunk (cardboard,carpet, everything) - 6lbs
Removed metal plate behind back seat - 6 lbs
Rear door panels - 6 lbs
Jack and metal holder - 5 lbs
Antenna - 4.5 lbs
Replaced cat conv w/ test pipe - 4 lbs
Rear deck 4 lbs
Underdrive Pulley - 3 lbs
Owners manual -1 lbs

Total Weight Reduction - 283.5 pounds

Weight Reduction Mods I can do:

While I have not attempted these last two at the track. Im tempted to do so, just once. Another 42 lbs off the car would be very nice !

Interior Carpet - 17 lbs
Passenger Side Seat (Corbeau Clubman) - 25 lbs
10.5sec92AWDTALON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 10:29 PM   #272
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

i understand that he did some weight reduction but things like the underdrive pulley, headers, cat, cat-back, downpipe, etc aren't weight reduction mods in particular, they're bolt ons that happen to be lighter. the jack and spare tire anyone would take out of their car on track day, floormats too i suppose. i'm just saying that his car does not look like you tried to portray it.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:27 PM   #273
Gold_Rush
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cars I RAPED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10.5sec92AWDTALON
The SS/WS6 auto's will be faster due to the standard 3:23 gears versus 2:73 for the other models. But I believe all 6 speeds got 3:42 gears so the 6 speed models are on equal footing.
3.23's could have been had on the z28 A4's. They weren't standard, but they were available as an option. My z28 has the 3.23's as well as the aluminum driveshaft. In the end, the SS's and Ws6's weren't really any faster, yet there's perception that they're a good bit faster than z28's and formulas. Seriously, i've seen this on almost every board i've posted on.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:36 AM   #274
NaSSty01
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cars I RAPED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
Why does everything think the SS's and Ws6's are any faster than z28's and formulas???
Everyone that doesn't have any knowledge about LS1's assumes the WS6/SS have more HP. That is incorrect.
NaSSty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 11:17 AM   #275
10.5sec92AWDTALON
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cars I RAPED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold_Rush
3.23's could have been had on the z28 A4's. They weren't standard, but they were available as an option. My z28 has the 3.23's as well as the aluminum driveshaft. In the end, the SS's and Ws6's weren't really any faster, yet there's perception that they're a good bit faster than z28's and formulas. Seriously, i've seen this on almost every board i've posted on.
I know you could order the option.

It would be interesting to know how many were optioned with the 3:23.

I know several folks with Z28's autos and all of em have the standard 2:73 which makes the car about .2 to .3 slower in the 1/4 from what I've recently seen at the track.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:20 AM   #276
10.5sec92AWDTALON
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty01
Everyone that doesn't have any knowledge about LS1's assumes the WS6/SS have more HP. That is incorrect.
I'm not sure how effective the hood scoops are on SS/WS6 but I would hope you'd see 3-5 HP at WOT at 100+ MPH. No biggie though.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:43 AM   #277
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaSSty01
well go to any car realted web site(edmunds, carstats, autotrader, etc) and that's how they are portrayed. edmunds.com has a z28 listed at 305hp and an SS of the same year at 325 hp.
BP2K2Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 12:24 PM   #278
10.5sec92AWDTALON
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Cars I RAPED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
well go to any car realted web site(edmunds, carstats, autotrader, etc) and that's how they are portrayed. edmunds.com has a z28 listed at 305hp and an SS of the same year at 325 hp.
Correct. That is why you have to dig and find facts out about cars, as magazines/internet/posted specs mean little.

If you're going to talk about a certain car you need some facts, not just a quick Google search.

Long but related story.

6 months ago I was in the market for a brand new car. Short list ended up being EVO/STI/GTO/Cobra/G35. I did my home work on all of em, drove several of each, visited forums for each car, went to the local track to see if any were running there and what they had and ran.

My conclusions were:

EVO- pretty much no surprises here as I know AWD, I've had my Talon for 12 years now. I decided I don't like the looks, 4 doors and the clutch in em is a weak point, I'm not willing to do a clutch on a brand new car.

STI, same deal as EVO, but instead of clutch, detonation issues bothered me. Yeah they're supposedly solved now but guess what, the car feels lower on power for 2005.

For around $30k for each of the above I decided they wern't worth it new considering the speeds I've gotten out of my Talon over the years.

GTO, I didn't like the looks, it felt underpowered, and at the time there were no deals being made so it was way over priced IMO.

Cobra 03-04- very fast car, sloppy feeling crappy chassis. Some possible serious reliability issues, TOB, heads, tick issues. Too few of em out there with too few miles on em to decide on a car that has a new motor setup that only was produced for 2 years. I don't need the headaches.

G35 2 door, very nice car, needs another 40-50 HP and the AWD of the 4 door.

I gave up for a month and was waiting for 05's to come out when I saw a 2002 T/A WS6 up the street for sale, I test drove it and decided this was the route to go. Did my research, here's where this relates folks....

Found out basically all 1998-2002 LS1 F bodys were pushing close to 350 HP, the 305-325(345 for Firehawk)HP ratings were typical GM fudge.

Also found out these cars are faster than amost any other muscle car ever made. They were consistently showing up in the top 15 of the 50 fastest muscle cars ever lists with 13.0-13.2@107 MPH times. Folks...when you're knocking on 12's@107MPH stock that's fast for a muscle car.

I ended up with my slightly used 2001 SS, 3,000 miles, fully loaded, T tops 7/70 warranty for $19k. The car runs 13.1's easy all day and has run a best of 13.0, near bone stock.

Moral of this long and drawn out story? you need to do some real life research before you assume you have the facts, googling will only get you the partial story.

And the fact is the 1998-2002 LS1 F bodys were some of the fastest muscle cars ever to be produced. No fluff, no BS here, just facts.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #279
FormulaLT1
Fight the powwa!!!

Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1

You forgot to mention the downside of the LS1 with the piston slap and the supposed block problem being completely aluminum and weaker than its Cast Iron counterpart even though it is suppose to be a strong block but critics say only time will tell.
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.

Mods: Weight reduction (I don't wear underwear)
FormulaLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 01:23 PM   #280
10.5sec92AWDTALON
AF Enthusiast

The block is PLENTY stong for quite a bit more HP than it's stock output. Piston slap is a minor issue at best, engines are not self distructing. There's folks with 150,000 miles and more with no rebuild.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:36 PM   #281
FormulaLT1
Fight the powwa!!!

Send a message via AIM to FormulaLT1 Send a message via MSN to FormulaLT1 Send a message via Yahoo to FormulaLT1
Re: Re: Cars I RAPED!!!

Quote:
The block is PLENTY stong for quite a bit more HP than it's stock output. Piston slap is a minor issue at best, engines are not self distructing. There's folks with 150,000 miles and more with no rebuild.
Block strength shows itself when it comes time for a rebuild (and they have only been in production for 7 years in the Vette and 6 in the F-body most cars havn't broken 85 K yet).and while you might not mind piston slap and GM might claim its fine I wouldn't be so fast to buy a car that is known for the pistons slapping against the cylinder walls on cold starts just my 2 cents though
RIP Hypsi - I just want to express I will never be the same after having lost such a good friend. You meant alot to me and I feel I am a better person for having known you. Til the day we meet again my friend you will always be in my heart.

Old 09-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #282
10.5sec92AWDTALON
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Cars I RAPED!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaLT1
Block strength shows itself when it comes time for a rebuild (and they have only been in production for 7 years in the Vette and 6 in the F-body most cars havn't broken 85 K yet).and while you might not mind piston slap and GM might claim its fine I wouldn't be so fast to buy a car that is known for the pistons slapping against the cylinder walls on cold starts just my 2 cents though
A quick poll of folks who know the block have told me it's easily good for upwards of 1000 HP. If folks are getting 150,000 miles( and I've seen 3 personally with 125,000+)without a rebuild I'd say there's not many serious issues, eh? Although it may or may not hold up past 200,000 miles or a few rebuilds I certainly don't need or care if it does. There's plenty of folks running forced induction on em with good results too. Overall it's more than adequate for all but extreme uses it would seem.
Old 09-26-2004, 02:51 PM   #283
FormulaLT1
Fight the powwa!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Cars I RAPED!!!

Quote:
A quick poll of folks who know the block have told me it's easily good for upwards of 1000 HP. If folks are getting 150,000 miles( and I've seen 3 personally with 125,000+)without a rebuild I'd say there's not many serious issues, eh? Although it may or may not hold up past 200,000 miles or a few rebuilds I certainly don't need or care if it does. There's plenty of folks running forced induction on em with good results too. Overall it's more than adequate for all but extreme uses it would seem.
Well I have heard from folks because of the high compression ratio that nothing over 6 PSI of boost is recommended and that the LS1 is a good engine naturally asprirated but shouldn't be used with big blower's or Turbo's without some internal changes but just what I heard

Old 09-26-2004, 03:25 PM   #284
10.5sec92AWDTALON
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaLT1
Well I have heard from folks because of the high compression ratio that nothing over 6 PSI of boost is recommended and that the LS1 is a good engine naturally asprirated but shouldn't be used with big blower's or Turbo's without some internal changes but just what I heard
Certainly you can't go boost crazy with the stock compression, but 6 PSI adds A LOT of HP to these cars. There's an unusual rear of the car mount turbo kit from STS that adds 100+ HP with about 5 psi and all reports are very positive about the kit.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Nissan Cefiro | Nissan Maxima | Infiniti I30 | Infiniti I35