Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 01:31 PM   #1
tinysilveradoz71
AF Newbie

Question 2006 Silverado Z71. some questions!

i just purchased a 2006 Z71 off road (still being prepped) i looked underneath to check the rust status and if there was a full size spare but didnt really check to see what skid plates there were and werent, i noticed there was a tow hitch, 265 tires, push button 4wd, vortec v8 5.3l angine with a minimal 55,000 miles, running boards, a different style chrome grill than the rest of the trucks on the lot, chrome doorhandles and mirror-backs. there is also like a chrome strip on the bumpers. i went to an auto mall and the dealer didnt know a whole lot about if all the stuff was stock or options that were ordered along with the tonneau cover and bugflector. also a bunch of bells and whistles inside that i wont ever use (i.e. on star, sattelite radio, which direction im driving, temperature etc). I really needed a reliable truck for winter driving and driving around muddy jobsites, and had to trade a motorcycle with negative equity to be able to afford the monthly payments. i had to find a truck with a lot of little options so i could hide the equity in an inflated truck price when i presented it to the bank. so i chose the z71.

Can anyone give me some insight into the quality of the 2006 z71 off road as compared to other years and 4X4s in regards to off roading and winter driving? it sounds to me like it kind of depends on the year as to how much different the z71 is
i assumed being an off road truck it would have a rear locker but it doesnt have anything indicating it does (i havent read the owners manual yet i havent taken delivery of the truck), is that an automatic thing that happens electronically when you press 4wd, like everything else on the truck? only non power option is the seats. i would prefer manual 4wd but im old school, im used to having to get out and lock the front wheels. haha.

if the truck is a 1500HD will it say 1500HD on the side, or are those rare? i saw it as an option on kbb when looking up the value of my truck, but thought chevy didnt have a "heavy duty" truck smaller than the 2500. one last question, how is the auto 4wd option...worth using at all? any insight would be greatly appreciated...i know a lot about motorcycles if anyone has a question!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mytruck.jpg (64.2 KB, 1 views)
tinysilveradoz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 AM   #2
MT-2500
AF - Advisor

Re: 2006 Silverado Z71. some questions!

You might check some comsumer reports on what years are be.

It looks like GM abuses the off road and heavey duty stickers.
A lot of them are not really true off road or HD like the sticker says.

As to the Auto 4W it is made to kick in 4W on semi slick roads.
Very good when you only need 4W when you hit a slick spot.

Never use 4W on dry payment or Auto 4W on all dry payment.

The 4W auto transfer case needs the transfer case fluid changed ever so often with the new GM blue autotrac fluid.
If never changed and 55K on it it is past due for changing.
Tell the seller to change it for you.
If good winter type tires and maintained good.
It should make you a good winter driving trruck
Good Luck with it.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:41 PM   #3
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: 2006 Silverado Z71. some questions!

since this is a low milage vehicle I would also replace the front/rear diff fluids along with the transmission fluid /filter using the NEW DEXRON VI fluid.

the coolant should also be replaced now ....Dexcool gm approved coolant only.

the total coolant in this vehice is 4.25 gallons..you must make sure that you have at least 50% dexcool or the metal will corrode and gasket will blow out..

ALL 4X4 silverados have the locking rear differential. this is a mechanical locking diff. very reliable IF you replace the diff fluid by removing the inspection cover and cleaning out the gear box and magnet......

when it is slippery out I use the AUTO 4 wheel drive. with proper fluid replacement intervals of the drive train componets you should not feel this engage and drop out..

When in AUTO 4X4 the front axles are locked together so tires must always be worn at the same amount...never use tires of different sizes or wear..rotate tires every 15-20K miles.......
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote