Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Eclipse Problem Diagnosis Got a problem you can't fix? Post here and one of our members will answer as soon as possible.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:51 PM   #16
donidavis
AF Newbie

Re: 96 Eclipse Rs Non-turbo Vacuum problem.

and I think i checked the pressure valve on the pass side and i didnt have any pressure
donidavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 07:53 AM   #17
vanilla gorilla
AF Enthusiast

Cam timing is adjusted by hand via the timing belt. Ignition timing is ECU controlled.

'99 Spyder 2.4 5-speed - Red/black,14b,slow
'96 Eclipse GST 5-speed - Paint
www.myspace.com/ballsoutperformance
vanilla gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
donidavis
AF Newbie

Oh ok! thanx man! i didnt know that! so i guess i need to check the timing and if its off just reset it!
Old 08-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #19
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Send a message via AIM to SilvrEclipse

So you didn't remove the timing belt at all? Then the timing should be ok. When u switch the key on do you hear the fuel pump prime? Hook up your fuel pressure gauge and then crank the car up. Make sure that your gauge is depressing the valve in the fuel rail. Or you can remove it with a tire valve tool. The car won't start without fuel pressure so have to have some if it starts up
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
1987 Nissan 300zx - Chump Car
2001 BMW 325i - DD
SilvrEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
donidavis
AF Newbie

Yea i didnt touch the timing at all. and to tell you the truth i took that tool and depressed the valve and pushed it in and nothing came out. not even a sound of pressure and the car still starts but dont run good at all! and i dont think i can hear the fuel pump prime. so since it dont have pressure how would i get pressure back there?
Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 AM   #21
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

Pull out the rear seats and under the metal cover on the left is the fuel pump. Take the 4 screws out of that and you will see the top of the gas tank. If the pump is working you will be able to hear it there and you can test for power, ground. If you have power but the pump is not on than maybe the pump went bad. You will only get power to the pump for 1 sec on the prime pulse and while the car is running.
Megasquirt 2 - Holset HY35 Turbo - Built motor - P&P Head and Intake - 3" Turbo back - FMIC - Greddy RZ BOV - Walbro 255 - Aeromotive AFPR - 650cc Injectors - Fidanza Flywheel - Zoom clutch - 13" Cobra Front Brakes - AEM WB - Devilsown meth injection - 3.55 Final Drive gear ratio

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM   #22
donidavis
AF Newbie

Ok so ima try that. and if its not pumping ima replace the fuel pump, but would that cause backfiring? and do you think that would solve my problem? Thanx for the help everybody! Yall are great ppl, im still young and wanting to learn about cars cause i love them so much.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #23
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

If your lucky the 2 problems are related. Fix the one you know about first and if the backfiring doesn't go away then move on to something else. Do you have a check engine light when the car is running?

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 08-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #24
donidavis
AF Newbie

yea the codes are 1698, 1899, 1487. So would you try the fuel pump first or what? How do you get that pressure back to the fuel rail?
Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 AM   #25
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

What are the codes? It should have given you a brief discription of each.

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 08-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #26
donidavis
AF Newbie

ok they are 1698- Fuel Temp to high, 1899- Fuel temp sensor B circuit mal, 1487- Fuel Delivery Error. I just checked the fuel pump and yea it does prime and then once i let it prime i went to see if i had pressure im my fuel rail and it blew out a lil bit of air just a lil. fo you think it could not be pumping right or the fuel filter is clogged?
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #27
SilvrEclipse
Holset powered 420a

The fuel filter would be good to go ahead and change if it hasn't been done in a while. I wasn't aware that we had fuel temp sensors on these cars. You really need to get a fuel pressure gauge hooked to that rail to see whats really going on. Its really rare that a fuel pressure reg goes bad but the fuel pump might not be supplying enough fuel to built the pressure the system is looking for. Or maybe a really clogged filter could do this also.

What kind of fuel pressure tester are you using? If your having problems with that valve at the end of the rail you can remove it while your checking the pressure. Just use a tire valve removal tool.

One way I always diagnose a fuel problem is to use starter fluid to crank the car on. I spray starter fluid in the intake pipe and once the motor starts a bust of fluid every second or 2 will keep the motor running smooth. If the car runs good then you deff know its a problem with fuel delievery.
WARNING: this can be dangerous is not done carefully. An intake backfire could shot a fire ball out of the intake pipe so be careful if you decide to try this.

1981 Chevy Scottsdale
2001 BMW 325i - DD
Old 08-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
donidavis
AF Newbie

ok i got another fuel pump too. so ima try to hook the gauge up (it a big round gauge with a rubber hose on the end.) and check the pressure... then ima change the fuel filter and chang the fuel pump. I have a extra pump so that works out. thanx for the help. anything else or great advice you have for me about these cars?

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
2geclipse , eclipse , fuel , mitshubishi , vacuum
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Eclipse/Talon/Laser > Eclipse Problem Diagnosis