Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #1
pdeane
AF Newbie

LF Info on 1971 Ford Torino 429 CJ

Hi all! I am not the most experienced with cars, so bare with me here.

My father has had what I've been told is a 1971 Ford Torino Cobra Jet. All of my life I've been told the car is rare or possibly worth something but I can barely find any info on this thing, so I'm just in the dark about it. I'll list all of the info I know on it (which isn't much sadly).

- Its got 429 HP
- It has the "drag pack" (I'm not entirely sure but I think the drag pack would mean it has super cobra jet package??)
- Coupe car
- All white with a black racing stripe on the hood
- I also have no clue if this will make any differences but its not a bench seat, its two seperate bucket seats & from what I can see theres a bench seat in the back?? (not 100% positive though, I just know for sure its two bucket seats in the front)

From what i've been told this car came from a guy who wasn't the kindest to it, and it was going to be used for scraps and as a donor car. Keep in mind my father told me this when I was 8 or so, so its been a while and my memory is rusty. All I know is that eventually he bought it off the guy, and he has some form of emotional attachment to it.
I think he got it in the late 80's and it was taken apart some time in the 90's or early 2000s. To all of my knowledge though, this car has been in pieces for at least 16-20 years now. We still have almost all of the original parts & plan to continue restoring it this summer, but I'm hoping to get some conclusive information on this car.

I have no clue if this car is at all rare or "special" (Im sure every car owner says that about their car) but since I can find barely any info on the 1971's, I have decided to come and investigate here.

I've also attached a photo of the only known photo I have of this car still together. If I find any others or get a chance to go grab a photo of the car in its current condition I will try to add them.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2715.jpg (272.4 KB, 1 views)
pdeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #2
65comet
AF Enthusiast

Re: LF Info on 1971 Ford Torino 429 CJ

Unfortunately the 71' doesn't have the desirability of the 70' and previous, just like the Mustang. If you're going to do it, then do it for yourself and family and enjoy. Whatever you put into it, you won't get back out if you try to sell it. My family had a couple and we liked them, but collectors aren't into them so that is why most went to the scrap yard. That year 429 didn't have the love put into it the previous years did and thus was less reliable. Good luck.
65comet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:35 AM   #3
pdeane
AF Newbie

Re: LF Info on 1971 Ford Torino 429 CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65comet View Post
Unfortunately the 71' doesn't have the desirability of the 70' and previous, just like the Mustang. If you're going to do it, then do it for yourself and family and enjoy. Whatever you put into it, you won't get back out if you try to sell it. My family had a couple and we liked them, but collectors aren't into them so that is why most went to the scrap yard. That year 429 didn't have the love put into it the previous years did and thus was less reliable. Good luck.
Thank you for the info! I’ve figured it wasn’t worth much but I do still want to restore it since I do find it a beautiful car. It is however quite sad to hear it was less reliable & collectors weren’t really into them, from how my fathers described it to me as a kid, it was like it was a the worlds prized jewel lol
pdeane is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1971 , cobra , fastback , ford , torino
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > General Discussion